Entering positions intra-bar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entering positions intra-bar?

In the strategy I am backtesting, a position is taken when the price exceeds a standard deviation line in the chart. However, the position is not taken until the start of the next (5-minute) bar. Sometimes in fast markets, this can mean a huge difference in entry price compared to the price of the standard deviation line.

How do I tell my strategy to take trades *exactly* when the line is crossed, instead of waiting until the start of the next candle bar?

I use Interactive Brokers for datafeed and brokerage.
    I mostly use 5-minute candlestick charts and primarily trade the major US index minifutures, in case this makes any difference

Best regards and thank you for a great forum.

Hello,

This is not supported in the strategy analyzer generally speaking. You can do it via this link though:
    You can submit orders to different Bars objects. This allows you the flexibility of submitting orders to different timeframes. Like in live trading, taking entry conditions from a 5min chart means executing your order as soon as possible instead of waiting until the next 5min bar starts building. You can achieve this by

Note: it is advanced though.
    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ben View Post
      Hello,

This is not supported in the strategy analyzer generally speaking. You can do it via this link though:
      You can submit orders to different Bars objects. This allows you the flexibility of submitting orders to different timeframes. Like in live trading, taking entry conditions from a 5min chart means executing your order as soon as possible instead of waiting until the next 5min bar starts building. You can achieve this by

Note: it is advanced though.
      Thank you for the answer.

I guess that an alternative, and probably easier, way of increasing the precision of entries and exits in my backtesting would be to use 1-minute charts instead of 5-minute charts. I do have the same amount of historical data for both resolutions and the 1-minute data gives 5 times more detail even if calculations are made at the end of each bar.

The VWAP + standard deviation lines I'm using and the amount of buy/sell signals generated should be pretty much unchanged regardless of resolution, if I am not mistaking, so the positions should be the same. Or am I missing something?
      Last edited by Fierze; 12-05-2009, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Hello,

It all depends on how its coded. It will be different. I would give it a try and alter your strategy to meet your specific needs...if it is not doing what you want.
        DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by techgetgame, Yesterday, 11:42 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post techgetgame  
        Started by sephichapdson, Yesterday, 11:36 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes