Outgoing Folder Deleted on Shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outgoing Folder Deleted on Shutdown

This comment is directed to the NT folks but I'd like to hear comments anyone might have.

The Outgoing folder goes away when NT is shutdown. This is a problem if my black-box program hasn't read the data yet. There should be some kind of handshake or perhaps an option to have the client delete it or something.

In general, it seems that the shutdown and restart strategy could use some polish. The whole idea behind having an automated trading interface, I think, is to be able to have it run automatically-even over system restarts.

Thanks,
    Larry

Not sure I follow. The folder <my documents>/NinjaTrader6.5/outgoing stays and NEVER is deleted by NinjaTrader.

Comment

Restart Strategy

I meant the contents of the folder. The contents go away on shutdown. But what I'm referring to is the general strategy. For instance, not only do the files go away before getting a chance to read them, the system doesn't automatically reconnect. I know they're addressing the latter issue in the next release but I think that it is indicative of the need to rethink the shutdown/restart strategy.
      Larry

Comment

Again I don't follow. NT does NOT delete the content of the folder <my documents>/NinjaTrader6.5/outgoing on shutdown so I'm unsure what your issue is.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
          Again I don't follow. NT does NOT delete the content of the folder <my documents>/NinjaTrader6.5/outgoing on shutdown so I'm unsure what your issue is.
          Dierk,
          I am bringing up this issue so that hopefully you will advocate for the developers to look into the whole startup/shutdown issue. The files are definately missing when I shut the app down. Here's an excerpt from your manual (on-line version):
          Information Update Files
          NinjaTrader provides update information files that are written to the folder "My Documents\<NinjaTrader Folder>\outgoing". The contents of this folder will be deleted when either Automated Trading is disabled or NinjaTrader application shuts down.
          Larry

Comment

Thanks for clarification. We'll look into.

Comment

This actually is a documentation bug: the content of the outgoing directory is NOT deleted in shutdown. We will amend the docs accordingly. Thanks for reporting.

Comment

Deleted on Startup

This actually is a documentation bug: the content of the outgoing directory is NOT deleted in shutdown. We will amend the docs accordingly. Thanks for reporting.
                Dierk,
                I reported the problem incorrectly. The contents go away when I restart the app. I double checked it last night, had my black-box place some orders, saw the fill replies in the directory, shut down and they were still there, restarted and they were gone. Sorry for the reporting errors.

Can this be fixed/changed so that clients can recover from a power failure or Windows update that causes a reboot?

Thanks,
                Larry

Comment

This is exacted behavior.

Comment

Yes, it's designed that way but it's a problem for users

This is exacted behavior.
                    Dierk,
                    Yes, I agree, the designers expected this but it's a problem as I have described numerous times. When the system goes down and restarts the black-box may have never seen the files that just magically disappear.

Please discuss this with the developers and see if they can add a handshake or option or something.

Thanks,
                    Larry

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion. We'll add it to the of future considerations.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                      47 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post aligator  
                      Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post jaybedreamin