Execution delay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Execution delay?

I have a strategy running on a 1-tick chart and I'm seeing 1 second delay for entry after my signal is generated. The strategy does a market EnterLong() then draws a triangleup, however, the actual entry posted is a second later, which often results in a tick slippage. Thinking maybe the market may be too fast for the demo server (Zenfire) to return a fill confirmation, I ran it this morning during the slow period and I'm seeing the same thing. Is this execution "latency" normal due to the messaging functions between NT and the broker or does NT not support millisecond entries? See attached example.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mgin98; 11-10-2009, 08:42 AM.

>> Thinking maybe the market may be too fast for the demo server (Zenfire) to return a fill confirmation
    Likely, this has nothing to do with any "milliseconds issue" you're speculating about.

Comment

I've changed a few sections around in the strategy, pulled the indicator code out of the indicator and added it to onbarupdate in the strategy and I'm getting the same results. Below is what I'm doing, running on a 1-tick chart and since the triangle is painting at the correct spot, the entry logic seems to be operating properly. What I don't understand is why the entry is a number of bars behind, sometimes up to 20-30 ticks behind.

if
      (long_sig >= 30
      && Position.MarketPosition == MarketPosition.Flat)
      {
      EnterLong(DefaultQuantity, "");
      DrawTriangleUp("3"+Time[0].Ticks, true, 0, GetCurrentAsk(), Color.Blue);

Comment

mgin98,

Suggest you use TraceOrders = true and isolate the order's placement behavior. Actual filling of an order can take several ticks to occur.
        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Real simple: As you order is sent to the exchange and filled there it could take several milliseconds. During these milliseconds you may get lots of ticks on a heavy traded instrument (like ES).

Comment

Thanks, I think I figured that out today. I created a simple "enterlong after 20 tick closes on the Ask" strategy and ran it on a 1-tick chart. My roundtrip averages 80ms to the rithmic server but the traceorder and a packet sniff shows there might be more to it. I can handle a few milliseconds, but anything beyond a few hundred ms seems to give a tick one direction or another.

However, in the traceorder snapshot attached... are the numbers I highlighted in red... in milliseconds? The time difference is consistently 500+ whatever that time unit represents. If that's the case then I can stop debugging this part of the strategy and will move on to the next part. I'll obviously have to colo if I need better speed.
            Attached Files

Comment

>> are the numbers I highlighted in red... in milliseconds
              yes

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by TradeSaber, Today, 07:18 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post TradeSaber