Days missing in optimization results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Days missing in optimization results

I have been working hard to refine a strategy that seems promising to me. I am using a tick chart to generate signals, and I have been testing only 1 month back (since the CME data change on October 5th.) I try to do my optimization on stored data as it usually seems to be faster and Ninja seems not to like loading a month's worth of data on a tick chart while connected to live data feed. So I loaded a tick chart while not connected to live data feed and I checked to insure that all the days were present and the data looked good--it checked out fine.
    When I ran an optimizaiton multiple times it seems that each time I lose more and more days from my historical testing. I.e. when I press the "period" tab in the strategy analyzer I see many days missing from the results, whereas in earlier testing those days were present.
    Another indication that somethings wrong is that if I run the same exact optmization multiple times, it will give me different results each time, and each consecutive time will have fewer total trades.
    Any ideas???
    Ron

Hi Ron, on which NinjaTrader version do you this behavior? Is this a normal optimization or a walkforward one?

Any errors you notice in the log tab of the Control Center?
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello,
      I'm using 6.5.1000.14 (version)
      I didn't notice anything in the log tab, but didn't look either.
      This was a normal optimization.

I will run some more today so I will look at the log tab.

Is there any way to prevent a chart from refilling with live data if its already filled with historical data when you connect? I'd like to verify my results on a chart, but my chart will only fill up properly if I'm disconnected. When I connect I start getting days missing (only when I'm trying to look more than a couple weeks back on a tick chart).

Ron

Comment

Ron, if your testing contains the current day NinjaTrader would always request data if connected - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...ricalData.html

If you like, contact us using the Help > Mail to Support feature so we can take a look at recent logs and traces. Thanks

Comment

OK, I found it worked when I set the last day of optimization to be Friday instead of today. But my log still shows an error message as follows:

Faild to cal 'Add' method for period type 'Tick': Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

I will open a new Workspace by itself which will have minimal charts and try running the optimizations again.

If I still have problems I will send you logs and traces.

But from my experience there's no escaping these memory issue when back testing with tick charts.

I'm hoping this is solved in 7!

Ron

Comment

Great you spotted this Ron - NinjaTrader 7 will improve this aspect strongly.

Comment

I tried this again with minimal charts (1 chart with 11 days on it) and I obtained optimization results, but when I pressed the "periods" tab in strategy analyzer Ninja froze up. I saw the same error message as before on the log tab, but I couldn't send you anything cause Ninja was frozen.

I will reopen and send you log file.

Comment

Log files have been sent. I just pressed the "Periods" tab and Ninja memory usage started going through the roof, but eventually I got the results (but Ninja memory usage remains quite high, close to 1G. It seems that no days are missing. I am not presently connected to data server so this seems to help.

Comment

Thanks Ron, we'll review and respond.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
                  3 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                  Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM