Setting NT process to 'RealTime' in Task Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting NT process to 'RealTime' in Task Manager

Any thoughts on setting the NinjaTrader.exe process to the highest priority ('RealTime') in the Task Manager?

Originally posted by trader20 View Post
    Any thoughts on setting the NinjaTrader.exe process to the highest priority ('RealTime') in the Task Manager?
    I do that... not sure how much it helps or not.

Comment

don't.

Originally posted by JS999 View Post
      I do that... not sure how much it helps or not.
      In my professional past I was system programmer specializing on Microsoft operating systems.

It will not help if you NT is not computation intensive, it may stall or even crash you computer if NT take all available CPU time.

However you may experiment with "AboveNormal" priority. It won't do any harm to your system and it may help if you have additional computation intensive tasks running on your machine together with NT and competing for CPU time. It won't help in absence of such tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by xTrader1 View Post
        In my professional past I was system programmer specializing on Microsoft operating systems.

It will not help if you NT is not computation intensive, it may stall or even crash you computer if NT take all available CPU time.

However you may experiment with "AboveNormal" priority. It won't do any harm to your system and it may help if you have additional computation intensive tasks running on your machine together with NT and competing for CPU time. It won't help in absence of such tasks.
        NT is extremely computation intensive, and that is exactly the entire problem. I have it spread amongst the 4 cores on my Core i7 920 running in copies in separate virtual machines, plus one native copy, just to make sure that it doesn't overload the CPU. I have it set to realtime priority in each of these cases. Would you suggest moving it to "above normal" priority to increase stability? I don't have much else running that is computation intensive.

Comment

Would you suggest moving it to "above normal" priority to increase stability? I don't have much else running that is computation intensive.
          ==============
          Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by xTrader1 View Post
            ==============
            Yes.
            One more question: Does setting it to "High" make any difference in terms of stability? I have a main copy of NT that I would like to give priority to ahead of the copies running in virtual machines, but I would also like those copies to have more priority than other windows tasks.

So I would set the other copies to Above Normal, and the main one to High. Would that work out fine?

Comment

I started to reset the priority to "Realtime" and got the attached message...
              so I backed out for now...

Is this message a problem or just a normal warning ??

I do not have other stuff running besides Ninja...just curious about this...

Thanks
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Alfred; 10-02-2009, 01:49 PM.

Comment

That is a standard warning. Your machine will not blow up!
                eDanny
                NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

One more question: Does setting it to "High" make any difference in terms of stability? I have a main copy of NT that I would like to give priority to ahead of the copies running in virtual machines, but I would also like those copies to have more priority than other windows tasks.

So I would set the other copies to Above Normal, and the main one to High. Would that work out fine?
                  Just try and error, but don't use Real Time priority. The machine won't blow up, but may crash.

Comment

Prio - Process Priority Saver

I have not tried this priority setting thing as yet...but ran onto this (free) priority saver...maybe worth a look....
                    How to permanently save a process priority. How to enable silent elevation for a process.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++
                    Have you ever changed the priority of a process in the Task Manager?
                    Do you have to do it often?
                    Do you want your database server or media player to know the priority it should work with?

Prio - Process Priority Saver. Free for personal use.

This compact program allows you to save the priority you specify for any process.

How to use -

Start the Task Manager.
                    Right-click a process and select Set Priority.
                    Set the priority you want for the process.
                    Prio will save the applied changes and each time you start this process from now on, it will set the saved priority for it. You will not have to change the priority manually any more What is the priority of an application?

Windows is a multitasking system. It means that a lot of various applications are running simultaneously in it. You directly work with some of them, but some of them work invisibly and independently. The priority of an application is a parameter that tells the system which task has priority over other tasks. For example, if there are two programs that are running simultaneously and with the same priority, they will have equal shares of the processor time. But in case you set a higher priority for one of them, the program that has this higher priority will use all the free processor time while the one with a lower priority will use only the rest of it. For example, if you have an application for rendering a video clip running on your computer, it will use the free processor time sharing it equally with, say, Explorer. It will result in Explorer working jerkily... But if you set a lower priority for the rendering program, it will use only the time that Explorer does not need. Explorer will work more smoothly and faster. It is also convenient to set a higher priority for multimedia players - the playback will be smoother. If you have some database service running on your computer, it is useful to set a lower priority for it so that it does not interfere with the work of those applications you are using at the moment. You can change the priority of processes on the Processes tab of Task Manager. Prio automatically detects any changes in priority and saves them in its settings. Next time you start this application, its priority will be restored.
                    Last edited by Alfred; 10-07-2009, 03:29 PM. Reason: The elements of style....

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by junkone, Today, 11:37 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post junkone
                    by junkone

Started by quantismo, 04-17-2024, 05:13 PM
                    5 responses
                    0 likes