Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sim101 Work Arounds for Gain

Hi Guys

I wonder if you could provide me with a couple of clues as to how this element works or refer me to somewhere in the help guide that might help.

So I have been using the Gain Demo account for some time and have mostly been doing my discretionary system forward testing on this connection. It was only recently that I needed to test some historical stuff.

What I notice is that if one connects to market replay for this same recorded data, the contract trade size changes, when I'm connected to gain demo the values are 1,2,3 etc. whole numbers, however for reconnection to market replay it is 0.1,0.2 etc. and assumes a size of 100,000. This in itself present a number of problems since there seems to be a bug on partial fills with limit orders. Stop orders will fill immediately if I switch on Enforce immediate fills, however this does not work with limits, effectively rendering the replay feature unusable unless there is a way to switch the trade size back to singles instead of the 100,000 which it assumes.

Fortunately I have written my own external player system that can drive your charts from the external connection. So I tried this with the same Gain Data, feeding it from my own tick database, once again, the chart defaults to the 0.1 contract sizes and I had the same problem.

So here's what I did, it's a bit of a dirty work around but it gets me around the issue, I created a custom instrument in instrument manager which is an exact replication of $GBPUSD settings which I'm trading except that I specified it as a future instrument and set my external driver program to pump it to this new instument name instead of $GBPUSD i send the bid/ask playback to GBPUSD 12-09, my custom instrument. This has solved the problem, my chart now defaults to contract sizes of 1,2,3 the same as it would as if I was connected to Gain Demo and furthermore if I set the point size down to 10,000. It actually works correctly and all trades are reflected as $1 mini size per pip.

So anyway that's all good and well for my historical playback feeder but I would love to be able to have $1 mini size ticks on my Gain live Demo connection so I tried this same trick there by effectively creating a secondary GBPUSD 12-09 futures instrument and mapping the gain setting to $GBPUSD. It didn't work however...

So I have two questions, would be great if you could shed any light.

1. How does the chart decide which size to use for the trading, for example Gain Demo is defaulting to 1,2,3... as soon as connected, while the market replay, sim connecton defaults to 0.1, 0.2 etc. for currency.

2. Why should my Gain feed not power my default instrument that I have added as a future even though i have set the mapping on the Gain parameter as $GBPUSD. Any ideas? I know from my external feeder I have to specify the symbol I'm feeding through but I would expect Gain is coming through as $GBPUSD since that is what the default currency instrument is mapped to, if it works for my replay i don't see why it should not work on the live demo connection, any ideas? hints? would be great if I could do this as I would then effectively be able to have the simulation account start accounting for my trade sizes correctly without having to export to market analyser.

Thanks for any help
    Ross

Hello Ross,

Unfortunately it is not possible to have orders entered as singles that represent regular lots (100,00 base units) using the Market Replay.

1. This depends on the feed you are connected to in NinjaTrader.

2. Unfortunately, you will need to set Instrument type to Forex in order to receive data for the forex instrument in question when connected to Gain.

I am not aware of a workaround.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by llanqui, Today, 03:53 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post llanqui
    by llanqui

Started by burtoninlondon, Today, 12:38 AM