Incorrect daily open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incorrect daily open

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but I could not find an answer. I trade the S&P e-mines and my trade relies heavily on open and close values of each day. (the day lasting from 8:30am-4:15pm central time)

I have been using the indicator CurrentDayOHL to give me the open of the current day I am trading. However I have noticed that upon logging off and logging back on the open often will change. Sometimes by a tick and sometimes more. How can I assure that I have the most accurate opening tick read?

If it helps I am receiving the Zenfire feed.

Hello Shazzmoe,

Thank you for your post.

Because Zen-Fire does not timestamp their live data, your local PC's clock is used. When reloading historical data, that data is timestamped which can account for this difference.

For more information about this, please see the following link: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...ChartBars.html

To minimize the impact of this, I suggest syncing your PC clock periodically.

You can sync your PC clock by double clicking on the clock in the lower right corner of your desktop. Once you have done that, click on Internet Time tab and then click Update. Your PC clock should now be updated.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you this information was helpful to me. I have installed a program called SymmTime that syncs my clock every minute. I thought this would greatly reduce my problems but as it turns out it has had little to know affect.

For example:
      Last night I turned on NT and set up my automator on a chart that goes from 8:30-3:15 Central time. I wrote this program to fire a limit order at the open of the first session bar.

8:30 rolls around and my automator fires just as it should and ends up entering the market 2 ticks above what I read to be the open. So to me it looks like I am sitting in a trade with a great position even though I was not. Thankfully this morning I was able to manually close out my trade with perfect timing when I noticed the market shift directions.

At first I thought this was just a day that my strategy was at fault but upon reloading the days data I noticed that my opening price was off by a FULL point. So I had actually entered the trade a half point worse when my orgiginal indicators said I was in a half point better.

I know there is the possiblity that my internet lagged but I find that to be almost impossible since I did not enter in late, but actually entered 2 ticks before openning bell. Could it be that by leaving NT on over night, as it packages these ticks that it gets progressivly more and more off so when 8:30 hits my opening is inaccurate? But that also sounds hard to be true since that particular chart doesn't even become active till 8:30.

Any additional support is greatly appretiated. If it makes a difference I am using a 5 minute chart ES 09-09. This one error has cost me a great deal this month and I need to do everything I can to avoid it again.

Comment

Hello Shazzmoe,

Thank you for your reply.

Considering that your PC's clock is syncing to the server every minute, it is likely that you experienced lag. Due to standard latency, even 50ms delay (which is normal) could be the difference between a 10:30:59 and 10:31:00 time stamp.

Comment

so then there is no possibility that leaving the chart on over night will cause this? So if i had it perform a sync at 8:28 only I should not have this problem?

Comment

Hello Shazzmoe,

Thank you for your reply.

1.) Correct, leaving the PC up and running 24 hours a day should have no bearing on this issue.

2.) Syncing once per day should be enough. However, syncing more often will not harm anything.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
            47 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post aligator  
            Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes