NT taking up all CPU and slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT taking up all CPU and slow

For the past week, NT has been at nearly 100% CPU... it is unusable for live trading. my computer meets the requirements.. How can I get help to understand what to eliminate or change so that it is sufficiently responsive?

Hello saroj,

Thank you for your post.

I have included a link below that goes over performance tips to help with overall performance of NinjaTrader.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
    Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Follow up

Thanks Christopher... I think part of the problem is that I have the recording function turned on and I have one chart each of 9 instruments (5 to 60 minute charts) open so that I can monitor a range of markets... U.S., European, Commodity, Treasury.. since you have no way to specify which instrument(s) I want to record, it is recording all of them apparently... I really only need/want 3 of them recorded. These charts are very simple.. price and volume...

My trading chart is more complex with long range Bollinger Bands .. I use 3 of these as range bars..

Here are my questions:
      1.can I pay for a 'live' license for my trading computer, but continue to use a demo license for a second data collection computer to separate these loads?
      2. does this setup sound like it would alleviate the problem?

Thanks, Saroj

Comment

Hello saroj,

1. Yes, you may use your live license key on your trading PC and the Free @SIM license key on another PC to record data.

2. Yes, the more windows you can closed will help with the processing of your PC.

If you want to move your Market Replay files to your other PC you can do this by creating a Backup and Restore from one PC to another.

Backup:

Restore:

Also Market Replay will record data for all instruments within you Market Analyzer window as well. This way you would not need a seperate chart open for each instrument if this helps.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

closed all "market monitoring" charts... NT still hogging computer

I have nothing running on this computer except NT

First I closed all but the 3 trading charts... no difference, NT still at 98% CPU usage

Then I took off all but the volume indicator on those 3 charts... now down to 40%... still unacceptable.

... Do I have to restart NT to get it to "release" memory or ??

Tell me how increasing RAM will help... would it reduce paging out memory or is that a red herring? Will NT 7 have performance improvements in it? Will it handle multi-threading?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

First some of your questions -

- RAM can help but only if NinjaTrader is consuming less than 1.5 GB of RAM
            - NT 6.5 is alread multi-threaded --> This is not relevant here

I would like to analyze your workspace to see what the root of the issue is. Can you restore your settings so that it represens the scenario where you were getting 100% CPU usage.

Then from within NinjaTrader select > Help > Mail To Support and include "For Ray" in subject and ensure you place a check next to "Workspaces".

Thanks in advance.
            RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I had this problem in another thread to the extreme. Anyway had to reinstall lost all data again. It seems to do it after a period of time running it after a new install. The new install I did now is starting to lag a bit on the charts after a week as usual. I would assume in 3 weeks from now it will become unusable again. It seems the larger the database becomes, the more things it has to read from it and the more lag you get.

Comment

Mike_32, sorry for the issues - if you like I can take a look at your trace and log files and advise further, for this please use the Help > Mail to Support feature and put Attn Bertrand in the subject (also check to include trace and logs).

NinjaTrader 7 will offer several performance improvements. For a feature overview and current development status updates please check this regularly - http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/NT7/NinjaTrader7.html
                BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Renamed the MDB as advised, but couldn't I have been told what the impact would be?

found so far:

1. "some" DOM settings reset... although the colors are still as I had set them
                  2. Instrument manager settings wiped out
                  3. Default tempate name

what else?

Comment

Unfortunately this is expected, as the database stores your customizations, historical data and ATM strategy templates.

For a convenient backup, you can use the inbuild backup and restore feature - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...verview50.html

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
                      Mike_32, sorry for the issues - if you like I can take a look at your trace and log files and advise further, for this please use the Help > Mail to Support feature and put Attn Bertrand in the subject (also check to include trace and logs).

NinjaTrader 7 will offer several performance improvements. For a feature overview and current development status updates please check this regularly - http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/NT7/NinjaTrader7.html
                      Sure... but you should inform your users when giving the suggestion... "to be expected" is obvious to YOU, not obvious to ME. just let folks know what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by saroj View Post
                        I have nothing running on this computer except NT

First I closed all but the 3 trading charts... no difference, NT still at 98% CPU usage

Then I took off all but the volume indicator on those 3 charts... now down to 40%... still unacceptable.

... Do I have to restart NT to get it to "release" memory or ??

Tell me how increasing RAM will help... would it reduce paging out memory or is that a red herring? Will NT 7 have performance improvements in it? Will it handle multi-threading?

Thanks for your help.
                        If you want to get the advantages of multiple threads running across many charts in NT 6.5, you can set up virtual machines and run separate copies of NT in each one. You have to have enough RAM for this, and you have to get your broker to authorize you for multiple simultaneous connections. I would also strongly suggest NOT leaving a time and sales windows open on your trading copy of NT where you enter your orders, and not having any range or volume charts open on that copy either, as they are resource intensive. Maybe one or two minute charts open, just for executing trades. Currently I am running 3 copies of NT 6.5 simultaneously, as that is the only way I can get any decent performance with all the charts that I need to see... I also have a second PC running a whole bunch of monitoring charts, so I guess that makes 4 copies running at once. You obviously need a dual-core CPU to take advantage of two copies, or a quad-core to take advantage of 3 or more.

Comment

Originally posted by saroj View Post
                          For the past week, NT has been at nearly 100% CPU... it is unusable for live trading. my computer meets the requirements.. How can I get help to understand what to eliminate or change so that it is sufficiently responsive?

Hello saroj,

Thank you for your post.

Bertrand is offline for the evening but will repond to your post in the morning.

Thank you for your patience.

Comment

Saroj, thanks again for sending those files in to us for review and great we could find a good solution for you. Good trading!

Comment

How to download ninjascript apps

IS there a link or post that give me the 1 2 3s of downlaoding these ninascript apps.

Nothing I do results in the feature being displayed on nt charts.

I dotn know e.g.If I am do unzip the program ,or when I open it say from my documents,is NT suppose to find it open and attach it.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by rbeckmann05, Today, 06:48 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rbeckmann05  
                              Started by rhyminkevin, Today, 04:58 PM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post dp8282