Ninja Trader kills my timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ninja Trader kills my timer

I am testing algorithms using Visual Basic in Visual Studio 8. Everything works fine when I query data from a historical database using SQL Server. I connect to Ninja Trader using the NinjaTrader.Client.Client interface to ntDirect.dll. The instant that I create Client then the watchdog timer on my display form ceases to "tick".

Is this "normal" behavior when using VB objects? My concern is that ntDirect will only work with C# code.

TurboNorm,

We are not aware of any such limitation. Unfortunately I would not know what may cause the behavior you are seeing.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Timer fails

So how does an NT client use "playback"? Since there is no timestamp do you assume the values are associated with the local instantaneous time? Does NT use a timer to pump out the data at 1 per second or 2 per second? Can you use "LastPlayback" to force the NT database to a particular timestamp?

Why does creating the Client instance cause a timer to fail? How do you synch with playback without a timer? Polling?

How does one get NinjaTrader Customer Service behind their name? Is training involved? If so how can I gain access to that material? These threads are always long and (in the end) usually self-resolved. I have no hope of resolving this without NT's unpaid support.
      Last edited by TurboNorm; 06-30-2009, 01:39 PM.

Comment

TurboNorm,

Will get back to you some time tomorrow. Thank you for your patience.

Comment

To clarify, what exactly do you mean by the NT client using "playback"?

Comment

Playback is an NT feature referred to as "Market Replay" in NT literature. It could be a useful tool but it is no better than the data gathered during the live session. But let us not get distracted.

My problem relates to using timers. The question on the table relates to VB.Net and the NT client.

I have also written a tool in C# whose symptom is that both my tool and the entire Ninja Trader application cease to function. This is only a problem on this laptop. My executing code is on a Xeon running MS Server 2003 and that environment works fine in "Market Replay" when market replay data actually gets captured or perhaps it finally is uncorrupted at the end of the day.

Any way if there are any lessons learned out there that you can refer to then that might help. Perhaps you can throw a question at the guys developing V7 about what environment variables would affect timers.

Comment

>> what environment variables would affect timers
              I suppose you are referring to .NET timers. Please contact Microsoft with you inquiry: NT does not control .NET timers.

Comment

You guys slay me. SUPPORT? You nit pick an inquiry as though English is your second or third language until you can parse out something that get's you to the "not my job" statement.

What am I getting for my lease? Is Ninja Tom or Ninja **** or Ninja Harry able to answer basic questions about probable installation problems? Does anyone in the Ninja Trader organization able to write "trouble tickets" so that future maintenance releases fix something?

I want this timer problem resolved. Where is Ninja Josh?

Comment

Originally posted by TurboNorm View Post
                  You guys slay me. SUPPORT? You nit pick an inquiry as though English is your second or third language until you can parse out something that get's you to the "not my job" statement.

What am I getting for my lease? Is Ninja Tom or Ninja **** or Ninja Harry able to answer basic questions about probable installation problems? Does anyone in the Ninja Trader organization able to write "trouble tickets" so that future maintenance releases fix something?

I want this timer problem resolved. Where is Ninja Josh?
                  Here is what I suggest:

- Create a brand new windows form project
                  - On Form load, connect tothe direct dll
                  - Then enable a timer
                  - on timer tick --> send some some text to the form caption

Does this work?
                  RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NinjaTrader Ray you have done your job well. This needs to be logged into the "lessons learned" script for the other Ninjas to refer to when this question is asked again. The symptoms disappeared when I implemented the late-binding technique that you suggested. Can't argue with success.

Do you guys chart your effectiveness? If not, you should. I would be interested to see NinaTrader Dierk's effectiveness rating. Last year I decided that this company offered no support for their product. It seemed that it was bullet-proof and the QA was goldplated so that every problem was the user's to solve alone or with third-party expense.

Thanks again for YOUR effectiveness.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by techgetgame, Yesterday, 11:42 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post techgetgame  
                    Started by sephichapdson, Yesterday, 11:36 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes