Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT and Gain Capital

Hi there,

I am in the process of opening a Gain Capital (Forex.com) account.

I want to import Gain's historical tick / daily data into NT and then continue using Gain's real time data moving forward.

Just a few questions:

1. Once I download NT can I use it with Gain Capital or is there some other step I need to be aware of?

2. What is the NT format for tick and daily data so I know how to reformat it?

3. Once I import the historical data, do I simply set Gain Capital as my data feed and it should take over from there?

4. Any other steps / information I should be aware of to have a full blown setup to write strategies and use Auto Trading with Gain Capital via NT?

Thanks in advance!

imported post

Hi stepwise,

1. Make sure you are opening an account with a link provided by us. If you do not have this link please send an email to dan at ninjatrader dot com for the correct account opening form. Once done, GAIN will send you a user name/password. Then you just create a GAIN connection via Tools > Account Connections within NT.

2. Please see the NT6 Help Guide Historical Data > Import for format specifications

3. Yes

4. You have everything you need apart from general application knowledge. I will likely start holding some system development training sessions in about two weeks.

Ray
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

imported post

I will email Dan, but if I started the process already (including funding), should I halt this process and start again?

Comment

imported post

I suggest asking that question to Dan, he is the best resource for that.

Comment

imported post

Hi there,

A follow up question.

I have successfully opened my Gain account and created a Live connection to Gain.

If I get historical data up till today and open up NT then I imagine everything would be fine. But if I don't open up NT for, say 2 days, then does that mean I will have a 2 day gap in my data???

Comment

imported post

If you use GAIN as your historical data service, then yes.

Other options -

During the account connection set up (Tools > Account Connection) there are historical data options for GAIN. Instead of using GAIN, select "Use NinjaTrader Servers", we collect GAIN rate data and there is more than 24 hours available there. Also, if you funded with over $1,000 (I beleive) you may be entitledto eSignal service for free. Check with GAIN on this. If you wanted to use this, then you would select "Disabled, I will use another connection for historical data" and then connect to eSignal in addition to GAIN.

Ray

Comment

imported post

Just a bit of clarification..

1. Are you saying if I have $1000 in my GAIN account, I will be entitled to ESignal Data for Free?

2. If I use NinjaTrader Servers, will that be identical to GAIN's data - the only difference being that you offer a bit more than 24 hours?

2a. How much historical data do you have on the NinjaTrader Servers for GAIN rate data?

3. Which combination of data sources would I use:
              GAIN and NinjaTrader
              GAIN and ESignal
              NinjaTrader and Esignal

The reason this is important to me is because I use tick charts and the variance in Volume from one data feed to another makes a BIG difference in how I set my timeframes in my tick charts.

Thanks again!

Comment

imported post

1. Customers who open with $1000 or more and trade 1 standard lot (or 10 mini lots) per month will qualify for free charting with eSignal. If you are interested in the eSignal offering please click the following link:
                http://www.efxnow.com/genr/advancedget.html?brand=NIJA

2. Correct.

3. GAIN and NinjaTrader
                GAIN and ESignal

Comment

imported post

Actually, I want to use NinjaTrader for my charting - I just might be interested in the Esignal data only.

Also, my concern would lie with the difference in volume between data providers.

The reason this is important to me is because I use tick charts and the variance in Volume from one data feed to another makes a BIG difference in how I set my timeframes in my tick charts.

How much historical data do you have on the NinjaTrader Servers for GAIN rate data?

Comment

imported post

There is no such concept ofvolume in FX (with GAIN)since there is no last trade. Changes in bid price are subsitited for ticks to generate charts.

Ray

Comment

imported post

I guess what I mean by "volume" is the NUMBER of ticks / trades "captured" or filtered by each vendor.

If I open up a 325 tick chart for one broker (say DTN) it could be equivalent to as much as a 1000 tick chart in Esignal (based on my actual experience).

This is why I mention it. So, I would need to have consistent rate data capturing / filtering to ensure my charts are consistent. If I switch from say Gain to Esignal it could completely throw off my tick charts.

Comment

imported post

Also, how much historical data do you have on the NinjaTrader Servers for GAIN rate data?

Thanks - I really appreciate your help and time on these forums!

Comment

imported post

We have about two weeks of uninterupted rate data. Prior to that, maybe six months of data with consistent 5 minute gaps around 12 AM ET and some gap sprinkled throughout.

We are not a market data vendor so our historical rate data is something we provide as additional value at no cost toour users. We do not guarantee uptime or data quality like a market data vendor would.

We just upgrade our servers two weeks ago to a new version that is much more stable and does not require nightly restarts.

Ray

Comment

imported post

ninjatrader wrote:
                            If you use GAIN as your historical data service, then yes.

Other options -

During the account connection set up (Tools > Account Connection) there are historical data options for GAIN. Instead of using GAIN, select "Use NinjaTrader Servers", we collect GAIN rate data and there is more than 24 hours available there. Also, if you funded with over $1,000 (I beleive) you may be entitledto eSignal service for free. Check with GAIN on this. If you wanted to use this, then you would select "Disabled, I will use another connection for historical data" and then connect to eSignal in addition to GAIN.

Ray
                            Hi Ray,
                            I'm using the new release of NT 6 and do not have the "Use NinjaTrader Servers" connection option. How to I get this into my system?

Thanks,
                            Ben

Comment

imported post

Hi,

That option is only available for a GAIN account connection. Are you saying its not visible forGAIN?

Ray

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Skifree, Today, 03:41 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Skifree
                              by Skifree

Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM