Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Practical advice for using vol trigger effectivey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practical advice for using vol trigger effectivey?

Today I was short on BAC when my stop was triggered by an order traded well out of range:

I see this sort of thing happening a lot and I'm interested in using ATM's vol trigger to minimize it, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it. I understand it's based on bids rather than actual fills, so does anyone have any advice about a good practical way to set the vol trigger value to prevent these sorts of fills firing my stops? Thanks!

Hello,

Thank you for your note.

The volume trigger is a volume floor, not ceiling, therefore I don't beleive it will adress your issue. For example if you enter 100 in the volume trigger, once volume gets BELOW 100, your stop will be sent, not above.

Unfortunately I do not know a way around the large price movements causing the stop to be triggered.
    Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Serves me right for not reading the manual! How can I make use of this feature then, for example what is the trader hoping will happen in the following example from the manual?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader Manual
      Buy Stop Market Example

Order Type - Buy Stop Market
      Stop Price - 1000
      Volume Trigger - 500

This example will trigger once the market trades at a price of 1000 and the ask volume is less than 500 contracts. Once triggered, a market order is submitted. If this was a sell order, the bid volume would be monitored.
      Does this mean if the market hit 1000 but ask volume was > 500, the stop wouldn't fire? What if the market pushed to 1001 and the ask volume dropped to < 500, would it fire then or only under the conditions of price = 1000 and ask volume at 1000 is < 500? I presume this is to try and catch a bullish breakout, e.g. stop set for a higher price than current price, and with few sellers (low ask volume)?

Comment

Hello Hauser,

Please see the information at the link below regarding the benefits, but also risks, upon using such orders.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Balage0922, Today, 07:38 AM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes
        Last Post Balage0922  
        Started by JoMoon2024, Today, 06:56 AM
        0 responses