• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is NTv6.5 supported on Windows Server?

Hi,

Quick question to clear up here.

Is NT v6.5 supported on Windows Server?

This URL (http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/su...ationguide.htm) states that only XP or Vista are supported.

But this URL (http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/download_download.htm) states that Windows Server 2003 is supported.

If it is indeed supported on Windows Server 2003, is it also supported on Windows Server 2008?

Thanks

I've run it without any problems on Windows Server 2008 x64.

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike.

No issues with running both v2.0 and v3.5 of the framework together? I've seen threads here stating that v3.5 SP1 really messed things up.

Comment

I've had no issues running multiple frameworks. But that also means I can't speak to problems if you should encounter them.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyStoo View Post
          Thanks Mike.

No issues with running both v2.0 and v3.5 of the framework together? I've seen threads here stating that v3.5 SP1 really messed things up.
          Scooby,

I am experiencing issues with XP PRO w/ SP3 and .NET 3.5, but I am not certain it is 3.5, rather it seems there is something with the version in the MDAC updates that the ODBC manager doesn't like.

I am pretty sure that if anyone is getting the Jet 4.0 error during the startup of NT, they will also get a 126 error if they go to Administration (from the control panel) and then ODBC and try to "Add" Access .mdb driver. I can however add SQL Driver without a 126, but .mdb, .xls, etc all throw a 126 error. From what I have researched, windows no longer includes the Jet 4.0 drivers and you have to install the old ones. the problem is that when you go to install the legacy Jet driver, it won't let you because you already have a more recent version, lol. That's how these things go.

So to answer your question. I was running on 2003 just fine and XP Home with SP3 just fine, but I installed SP3 over SP2, whereas the machine(s) I have trouble with now were all clean installs with Sp3 from the beginning and .Net 3.5.

I tried to uninstall 3.5 and all .net's and then just install .net 2.0, but still having trouble.

I may just punt. Install XP with SP2, install Ninja and get it nice and tucked in all warm and cozy, and then burn an image, and then try to install SP3, and work my way up to net 3.5 with .net 2.0 as well, but do this in a staged process.

My spidey sense tells me that I simply don't have the legacy Jet 4.0 drivers and aside from manually dropping them into the System32 directory and manually registering them, I am out of luck. Ever since MDAC 2.7 and above (maybe 2.6 ?) they don't install the legacy Jet 4.0 drivers. And you can't go back and install them because you get the "you already have a new version" issue and they won't install.

It would be nice if NT has a nice package to install that would drop in the needed ODBC Jet drivers and register them (if this is indeed the issue as I may be absolutely wrong). If am correct, a nice "patch" with the needed drivers would be helpful.

Thanks,

Comment

Are NT still using a JET database? I'm new to NT and so am not aware of the platform specifics.

I can imagine that will cause a whole load of problems as JET isn't part of MDAC anymore. It was superceded by the MSDE years ago...and the MSDE has now been superseded by the express editions of MS SQL Server. The only reason Microsoft still support it is because of the enormous number of Access databases out there.

Can someone from NT please tell me what database engine NT v7.0 will be built on. I'm really hoping here that you've shifted to the latest (and far more robust) MS SQL Express engine.

Comment

NT7 will replace the JET engine by MS SQL server compact edition. We will provide details as we roll first beta (before end of this quarter).

Comment

This is excellent news. Thanks.

Comment

Are NT still using a JET database? I'm new to NT and so am not aware of the platform specifics.

I can imagine that will cause a whole load of problems as JET isn't part of MDAC anymore. It was superceded by the MSDE years ago...and the MSDE has now been superseded by the express editions of MS SQL Server. The only reason Microsoft still support it is because of the enormous number of Access databases out there.

Can someone from NT please tell me what database engine NT v7.0 will be built on. I'm really hoping here that you've shifted to the latest (and far more robust) MS SQL Express engine.
                  Spot on Scooby, spot on. That is exactly te problem. Be sure to install NT BEFORE running upgrades as Jet 4.0 is essentially deprecated.

The best part is that when you go to install Jet 4.0 SP8, it says you have the most recent drivers, lol. So you are stuck in the muck. The only option is to manually add and register the needed .dll files. (as far as I can tell)

Comment

This is excellent news. Thanks.
                    ditto!

Also, we multiple NT boxes be able to then access a single database? can daily stored tick data be used by multiple boxes to simultaneously backtest using daily replays?

Now we are talking, well done NT

Comment

>> Also, we multiple NT boxes be able to then access a single database?
                      Unfortunately not.

Comment

I am stuck in a real dilemma now.

I'm evaluating both NinjaTrader and OpenQuant, which are the only 2 serious .NET platform contenders as far as I can tell in the retail market.

I have downloaded a demo version of OQ and on face value it looks like a good product. It's obviously geared far more to the professional programmer than NT, but the documentation is hopeless and the forums are so dead they are starting to develop gangrene. Doesn't matter how good a product is...without support it is next to useless.

I love NinjaTrader as a company. They have responsive support and comprehensive documentation. I just have some serious concerns about the robustness and scalability of the underlying platform. It's really a platform for discretionary traders or quant traders with limited programming ability who want to configure a strategy using wizards.

What I really need is a platform which handles all the boilerplate stuff such as connectivity, order execution, position monitoring, data feeds etc and leaves me free to develop the custom strategy logic independently in a proper development environment.

I like NT and want to use them, but my spidey sense is tingling and telling me that I'm going to get 4 weeks into developing my strategy and come up against a showstopper technical problem which will mean I have to shift to OQ.

The one thing that would stop me buying OQ from the beginning is if someone from NT would outline what improvements v7.0 will bring to true quant developers such as us.

If anyone from NT would be able to comment on this...or even confirm if providing better support to quant developers is on the product roadmap?
                        Last edited by ScoobyStoo; 05-12-2009, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Some of your issues (if not all of them) will be addressed with NT7. However, you needed to wait until the end of this quarter as we roll first beta and publish details on NT7.

Comment

Fair enough Dierk, I can understand that you cannot comment on v7.0 before it is officially released as a beta.

When you say end of quarter are we talking about some definite info within the next 4 weeks?

Comment

End of this quarter.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by arunkumar3, 08-25-2023, 12:40 PM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                              Started by PaulMohn, 04-30-2024, 02:06 AM
                              8 responses