Moving Average trailing stop ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Average trailing stop ?

Q . Is it possible to write a moving average trailing stop indicator /strategy ?

Also , if I displace the Ma 1 or 2 bars to the right is it possible to program
    that into the stop strategy ? tia

T2020,

You can program any indicator/strategy you want. If you want to move the indicator values to the right, just call [1] instead of [0].
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

OK , thanks . Pardon my ignorance ,but I guess this would be more of a
      strategy than indicator right ?
      Or a custom ATM ?
      Last edited by T2020; 04-29-2009, 10:24 AM.

Comment

If you just want a line to show you the value, indicator. If you want to actually have this value stop you out of trades, strategy. ATM will not work. The strategy approach can only close strategy trades and not manual trades.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
          If you just want a line to show you the value, indicator. If you want to actually have this value stop you out of trades, strategy. ATM will not work. The strategy approach can only close strategy trades and not manual trades.
          So you have to enter the trade from a strategy to have a strategy close
          out the trade . I see . So I have about 8 conditions that I want to see
          met ,which visually are easy to see , but I think would take a lot of programming . I guess I was hoping to enter a trade manually and exit the
          trade with a MA trailing stop to keep it simple . It would be nice if a MA
          stop was available or built into the ATM Strategies .
          thanks again .

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion.

Comment

Link Trailing Stop to Moving Average

Hi Team,

Noting that the below suggestion dates 2009, I'm wondering if perhaps any progress was made in this regard? I'd be extremely interested !

That is, can you conceive of any way whatsoever that I could enter a 3 lot trade manually, exit the first two lots manually, and set a stop on the 3 contract that relates to an MA value?

For example, if it's not normally possible to use such a strategy on a manually entered trade, could I enter the trade with 3 lots, do everything manually, then once I'm ready to set the stop on the 3rd position (after first two are closed) I could somehow set a basic automated strategy to simply enter a buy or sell stop at a pre-determined level (linked to the MA) ... or something to that effect ?

Regards,

wave
              Last edited by waverider; 01-04-2012, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Hello,

Not currently possible yet without automated trading strategy. However I know that development has received this suggestion and is considering it for possible addition in our next future major release to see if this is possible to add into NinjaTrader. This major release is still some time down the road however.

-Brett

Comment

Trailing Stop linked to Moving Average

Thanks Brett,

Can you confirm then that there would be a way to do this using an automated strategy, however in a way that allows me to enter the trade manually?

Eg, at a guess - (as I said below) Could I enter a 3 car position with regular ATM profit and stop OCO's, then once first two cars are exited, cancel the OCO profit / stop on the third and somehow use a strategy to simply enter a buy/sell stop at that (trailing) level?

Thanks,

Comment

Hello,

No this would not currently be supported at this time. The entry would have had to be an automated entry to allow for this.

-Brett

Comment

Thanks Brett,

I do apologize, but to be super clear (I'm new to ninja programming): why couldn't I write a script to simply enter a Stop order at a certain level? Why does it need to know that I have already manually entered a trade before hand? So long as that stop get's placed, I'd be happy right? If it was hit (entered) I'd be flat? Hence the manual entry would be cancelled by the strategy stop?

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Hi WaveRider,

A managed strategy (which is what most people start with) will do a lot of internal checking, like controlling entries per direction, checking position before submitting exit orders, and ignoring competing orders. These internal controls would get in the way unless you design your strategy as a fully automated (entry and exit) solution.

You could do this an an unmanaged strategy. This gives you the control to submit, modify, and cancel orders exactly as you like. But since there is no internal control, it's only recommended for experienced programmers who could create their own order/position management.
                        Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks very much Ryan, much appreciated.

I will refer to an expert programmer, but can you give me a heads-up on the likely issues of an unmanaged strategy?

i.e. If I have a naked long order, and I create an unmanaged strategy to enter a trailing market sell stop order, what are the potential risks?

Thanks again, this is helping a lot,

wave

Comment

For example if you're not ensuring the order would be only submitted once, but you can without checks on CalculateOnBarClose you could issue quite a few orders which if filled would certainly put you in an unexpected position. The managed tries to simplify your life a bit by offering under the hoods checks for common scenarios, this happens at the price of giving up some flexibility unfortunately. It would be your decision what mode is better suited to your needs, both can be very powerful for custom strategy development.
                            BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by RookieTrader, Today, 07:41 AM
                            1 response
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                            Started by kujista, Today, 05:44 AM
                            1 response
                            0 likes