Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ninja + Mac + Vmware + IB

Hello,

I´m getting nuts trying to install NT under mac with vmware and windows xp install on it. I´m actually working with visual chart an interactive brokers. I´m trying to change to Ninja Trader and what I have done is to download a windows version for IB an d the 6.5 version of NT. I run the IB tws with no problem but when I run NT a message like this appear "Unble to restore workspaces:Invalid URI: the hostname could not be parsed" I click ok and then I configure with no problem the connection with IB but when I connet it it appears an error message like this "NT has detected a problem an need to shut down" If I ignore ir I can get the connection but everything seems to go wrong.
    I have downloaded windows sp3 and the last version of .net framework but I still have some dll problems. The strange thing is that one time I could open NT with no aparent problems, but next time eveything went wrong again.
    Is there any specific combination of a version of NT, windows service pack and IB tws to make it work????

Can anyone help me????? PLEASE

Hi ricardom, welcome to our support forums! Please use NinjaTrader 6.5.1000.9 with TWS 892 as per our connection guide for IB - http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/su...ivebrokers.htm
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Still with problems

Thank you. I have installed and reinstall every program several times and I still have the same error messages. It is possible to get in touch with the people that could install and run all this?? It shouldn´t be so difficult.

Please HELP ˇˇˇˇ

Comment

Hi,

Unfortunately we do not officially support using Mac's, so we are not trained to do this.

Perhaps another Mac user can further assist?
        Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RJStein View Post
          Hi,
          Unfortunately we do not officially support using Mac's, so we are not trained to do this.
          Perhaps another Mac user can further assist?
          I'm running Windows XP SP3, NT 6.5, IB TWS Build 893.9 on an Apple UniBody MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz with 2 x 24" Benq screens without any issue. I've got Apple Bootcamp loaded and also VMware Fusion 2.0.4 every so often without issue. I suspect the user might have a virus or setup issue.

regards

paul

Comment

Thank you,

I´m not having any problems at all with Vware Fusion and the windows xp with sp3 installed on it with other programs so I believe that problem is NT. I could even get connected with IB (it appears the green bar with the "IB connected" legend), but at some point (not the first time I run NT after re installing it again) I get firstable the "Unable to restore workspaces:Invalid URI: the hostname could not be parsed" message, and then the error message "NT has detected a problem and need to shut down".
            It is common to have this problems in a windows standard instalation? Is there any specific file or folder that can be corrupted or that I have to move to a place or to another?

Thanks.

Comment

Hi again,

I´m trying to get what´s wrong with my connection problems and I´m reading it may be that I´m using a NinjaTrader free license and it doesn´t work with my IB account. May be this the problem?????????

Comment

Originally posted by ricardom View Post
                Hi again,
                I´m trying to get what´s wrong with my connection problems and I´m reading it may be that I´m using a NinjaTrader free license and it doesn´t work with my IB account. May be this the problem?????????
                Hi Ricardom,

I've got the same setup as you so that's not the issue.

These are the steps I would recommend you going through:

1. Run apple diagnostics that come with your computer and check the Ram & harddisk.
                = Run diskwarrior, idefrag and apple disku tility to fix your permissions.
                2. If your intention is to use the system to trade, then may I recommend you Using bootcamp instead? The latest version of VMware Fusion 2.0.4 will open bootcamp partition.
                3. Once you have got that going, load Windows XP OS with SP3, IB's TWS, NT 6.5, a virus protection software & Apple drivers 2.1 that comes with Leopard DVD. That's it & nothing else.

If you can run that successfully, then load VMware Fusion 2.0.4 and VMware tools.

That's what I can suggest. Trading on VMWare is not ideal unless you have got the latest MacPro. But at the price apple is charging, it's more economical for me to get a PC with an intel i7 chip [To be released by apple] but available in every other PC store.

regards

paul

Comment

Thank you Paul,

I´ll try it.

Comment

Same problems - Ninja Trader with Mac/Parallels

My machine is having the same issues as Ricardom, but i am using Parallels. Every time i login to NTrader, I must re enter my license, I get the "Unable to restore workspaces:Invalid URI: the hostname could not be parsed"

Anyway, it all seems to work OK (the system locked up once today) until i login again. Ninja Customer Service has told me to reinstall Parallels, but I want a confirmation before I do that and rework my entire system and have to reinstall all my windows programs. I don't have any firewall or virus checker installed yet, so that is not the problem.

Thanks

Comment

The issue is to do with the virtual machine's drive partition. You don't need to reformat if you use WinCopy to backup your partition then restore it after you have setup a bootcamp drive partition. It's less work in some respect as you don't have to setup Windows XP again. I am not running Vista as the bootcamp vista drivers are buggy for me. XP is perfect on my macbook pro.

regards

Originally posted by longboard View Post
                      My machine is having the same issues as Ricardom, but i am using Parallels. Every time i login to NTrader, I must re enter my license, I get the "Unable to restore workspaces:Invalid URI: the hostname could not be parsed"

Anyway, it all seems to work OK (the system locked up once today) until i login again. Ninja Customer Service has told me to reinstall Parallels, but I want a confirmation before I do that and rework my entire system and have to reinstall all my windows programs. I don't have any firewall or virus checker installed yet, so that is not the problem.

Thanks

Comment

What versions are you using?

I have the same hardware/OS setup except I am not using IB and I am using the free version of NT. Have not had any issues.

Based on all the postings here it looks like you have a software or configuration issue. Reinstalling bootcamp or fusion / parallels, etc is pointless if you don't know what the real problem is. And this is not a virus problem - most people blame a virus when they cannot figure out the real problem.

Can you post more details of the MacOS version, the .net version? From the error message shown, it looks like it could be something to do with the license or the compatibility of NT, IB with the .net version.

If this issue is solved, you could help all on this forum by telling us what solved it.

Comment

Not hardware related

Btw, I am running this on a 2 year old MacBook Pro and also on a 2 year old intel imac (both with 4Gb RAM, but memory only affects speed, not whether an application will work or not). So the version of hardware is not an issue.

Comment

I am using Parallels to. First get the same error message as you.
                            First you have to uninstall NT, next have to switch off the sharing the My Document with Mac - simply you can do it at the Parallel Device menu and Shares folders - and you can install NT and working well.

If you use share folders with Mac option then the Windows My Documents folder with point to \\.psf\.... and NT will install some local file here but couldn't read from there.
                            The other simly resolvation techniq, if you change in the My Documents propery the place of the physical place, but in this case Parallel in the next boot will be reassign with the origin one. So the first method is safer.

Originally posted by longboard View Post

Thanks

Comment

Problem Solved

I had this same error message too. If you do a google search for the error message, you'll see it is a common problem for those who have to use the .Net infrastructure.

The only way around this is to first load Windows using Apple's Boot Camp. After you load Windows using Boot Camp, you then can create a virtual machine with either Parallels or VMWare based on the Boot Camp installation.

This is not a ninja problem. It is either Mac's or Microsoft's for not allowing .Net to work properly. Here's a helpful walkthrough for those with Parallels (must install Windows using Boot Camp before these steps):

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by tsantospinto, 04-12-2024, 07:04 PM
                              6 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post tsantospinto  
                              Started by rocketman7, Today, 02:12 AM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB