NT on Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike,

have they gotten rid of the /usr/etc directory in ubuntu 9.04?

i was trying to install a app that I use and ran into that issue

Comment

Hmm, no /usr/etc here in 9.04. I don't have an 8.10 machine anymore, both are 9.04 so can't compare.

Mike

Comment

Anyone made any progess? I'm stuck with wine and winetricks and I haven't managed to get 9.04 working on my multi screen desktop. I've gone back to 8.04.2 on the desktop for testing.

Ubuntu 9.04 breaks xorg every time I try and load the restricted nvidia driver but this guy seems to have it working. Looks like he will be releasing a tweaking program that helps with multi gpu setups so I'll keep an eye on his website.

This was a quick video we took to see how Ubuntu 9.04 64BIT performed with the following open:- 20 Firefox Windows - Open websites include: ubunut.com, cnn.c...

Wine 1.1.20 on my laptop with 9.04 and my desktop with 8.04 produce the same sluggish performance for NT and the connection setup window is blank on the second step every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Treggs View Post
          This was a quick video we took to see how Ubuntu 9.04 64BIT performed with the following open:- 20 Firefox Windows - Open websites include: ubunut.com, cnn.c...

One word. Awesome.

I am having issues with 9.04 and nvidia drivers as well.

Mike

Comment

Mike, do you lose X after the driver install?

Still hoping an NT mod will help us with what we need in winetricks.

Comment

Ugh I don't even remember. It was some crapola though with the nvidia drivers install complaining/failing about something. A google search got me past whatever it was.

Except I still can't enable compiz. But I later realized apparently compiz isn't redirected over a VNC connection anyway, and this is a headless display, so whats the point (except to get it to just work like it should).

I ended up migrating my VMware VM's from a different server (running Server 2008 + VMware Server 2) to this box. Used Acronis and VirtualBox. Went nicely. So now I am blowing away that Windows Server box... and gonna install... Ubuntu! I'm just going to take a few days to overclock it first, it's stock Q6600 @ 2.4 right now, I know it can do much better. Once I get it Prime/Orthos stable I'll throw Ubuntu on it. Another headless server...

Back on topic --- yes, it would be nice to get an engineer to look at why it is failing on Wine. Would be a nice step forward to get it to work. You would think most engineers are *nix biased anyways, as are most geeky power users, and have tried it themselves in their spare time and maybe donated some time to the project to get it to work.

Mike

Comment

I am not using linux, but I am running NT on a Mac using VMWare. I had a recurring crash with Parallels, but VMWare has been totally stable and no noticeable performance difference compared to native windows.

Comment

Wine 1.1.21 update appears to have no effect at all. Still have sluggish performance in charts and blank window on second step of connection setup. When I have some time I'll try from scratch again and different wine tricks bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Treggs View Post
                    Wine 1.1.21 update appears to have no effect at all. Still have sluggish performance in charts and blank window on second step of connection setup. When I have some time I'll try from scratch again and different wine tricks bits.
                    wine or "whine"

Never cared for Wine. It always seems like it got you so close to actually working, but just didn't cross the finish line.

When you can go buy a brand new pc for 350.00 at Best Buy, that has more power than a 2,000.00 pc did 4 years ago, why would you mess with trying to run NT on linux? To do it? I can appreciate that, but if you are in the trading business, then it's not practical in my personal opinion.

Instead, I would either use VNC from your linux box, or Synergy with multihead.

PCs are too dang cheap now. If you absolutely have to have it on same box for other reasons, then I would still say VNC from your notebook or dual boot. And if neither of those are an option, then I would say you are not using this to trade for real money yet ;-)

Just my .10

Btw, I am a huge advocate for Linux. I have been using it since the mid 90's starting with Slackware. I find it best for running dedicated services like hosting and the like, or as an embedded solution. With gnuCash and OpenOffice at the next level, it is not long before I can be 100% Linux with the only current exception being NT, but again, I would just dedicate a few boxes to NT and run it more or less as a hosted application / service.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by lightsun47, Today, 03:51 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post lightsun47  
                    Started by 00nevest, Today, 02:27 PM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post 00nevest