Collapse

Incorrect Average Price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I am missing something but once I checked the FIFO option everything balances perfectly. What I want is given any realized PnL + my position PnL is exactly where account realized PnL ends up if I get flat at that point.

The first trade taken is the first trade exited for PnL purposes leaving me an average price representing all other open positions since I was last flat. Each exit takes the next entry in order for purposes of account realized PnL purposes and the recalculated open position average price and hence the open position PnL is correct.

In the event I have open positions I only want to know what gets me to breakeven on those positions, not some prior trades as those prior trades are already reflected in my realized PnL, so I may have had a different issue to start with. With the FIFO option checked, the math for my trades balances perfectly.

Comment

Please check our breakeven price indicator at:

Breakeven Price shows the breakeven price, position size, and the breakeven profit as a graphical display directly on the NinjaTrader chart. It is essential for traders who scale in and out of positions to keep track of PNL. Background The position breakeven price is

It calculates the breakeven price as stated in #13

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Michael View Post
        Hi,

The averaging is expected behavior, please use the instructions provided as this may tailor the settings to your liking.

Go to tools --> Options --> Check the "Use FIFO for position avg. price calculations".

Let me know if this helps.
        I was about to enter a long post (with snapshots, etc.) on the same topic.

The solution offered by NinjaTrader_Michael is correct.

"Problem" solved.

Comment

NinjaTrader by default shows the average entry price of a position. If you want to use the FIFO method instead to calculate the average price, then yes, just checking the "Use FIFO for position avg. price calculations" solves the issue.

But the OP asked for the breakeven price of a position, which is different and is computed using the profit or loss of all partial trades. An example is showed in #13 and this is another example below. Our indicator shows the breakeven price in purple in (c). It takes the profit of the partial close into account to show the breakeven price, where the position earns zero profit. This is useful for traders who scale in and out of positions.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	BreakevenEntry.png Views:	0 Size:	8.8 KB ID:	1150996 Click image for larger version  Name:	BreakevenBeforePartial.png Views:	0 Size:	9.9 KB ID:	1150997 Click image for larger version  Name:	BreakevenAfterPartial.png Views:	0 Size:	9.8 KB ID:	1150998
          (a) Position opens at $13,111.50 with 2 contracts. (b) Order to partial close 1 contract at $13,121.00. (c) Breakeven price after partial close is $13,102.50.
          Last edited by VolatyTrading; 04-11-2021, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Mizzouman1, Today, 07:35 AM
          4 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Mizzouman1  
          Started by philmg, Today, 01:17 PM
          1 response
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ