New way to crash NT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New way to crash NT

I don't know if this has been reported before but this happened three times to me today. I start a new chart and add an indicator to panel two. I want to shrink the chart to very small and show minimal price panel but show the indicator panel. I grab the lower right corner and resize to very small but not the smallest it will go and instant freeze with NT not responding. The only fix is to kill the process and start over. I may have figured out why it happens, if you would like to test. It may happen when you shrink the chart till the panels divider line is hit by the bottom edge of the chart window. I think this may trigger the lockup because if I pull up the panel two size to the maximum (minimizing price) before resizing it seems to work ok. I hope this is something fixed in NT7.
    eDanny
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Hello eDanny,

I tested it on my end, but I could not reproduce your outcome. I created an 1 minute ES 03-09 chart and added the MACD. I modified the line that divides panel 1 and 2 and modified all the way to the bottom and top; I did not experience a crash. I can freely modify the line to all positions without a crash occurring.

Do you experience the error that states you need to send us your trace file or does NinjaTrader become unresponsive?
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NT totally freezes until killing the process.
      eDanny
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

Try repairing your database under Tools--> Options--> Misc--> Repair DB.

Also make sure you're using V6.5.1000.8. You can check this under Help--> About.
        Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ninjas,

I have a very similar problem to eDanny. To keep things simple to check it out, I did the following:
          a) No other workspaces open and not-connected to my IB data-feed.
          b) Added one new workspace, added one 5min chart of TF, added one SMA indicator in panel 2.

When I close up the price panel all the way to the top, NT goes into Not Responding mode. I need to use the task manager to end-program to close it. So far, it seems to happen only with the TF. I tried a few stocks, ES and YM and all were ok.

When Connected to the data-feed, the problem almost clears up, that is, it happens less often and recovers before becoming unresponsive (so far).

I did a Repair Database; I uninstalled all .NET framework, and reinstalled only .NET framework 2.0; and I uninstalled and reinstalled the current program, NT6.5.1000.10. None of these steps did anything to solve the problem.

Currently, I’m using a workspace with 5 charts, 3 indicators on each and an AutoTrader on each. I have to be very careful not to close up the price panel on any chart else NT will freeze…very disconcerting.

The following is meant to be constructive in order to improve NT.

When a user is simply setting up a workspace and not even connected to a data-feed, the user should not expect NT to become unresponsive when doing a simple step like closing up the price panel. Even if NT does not recognize a symbol or even if a symbol is not in the data base, the program should not be tripped up so easily. Surely, the program can be fixed to avoid this from happening.

thnx,

-marvel

Comment

Hello marvel,

Does the unresponsiveness occur on a consistent base using the steps you described? What happens if you close the current TF chart and open up a brand new one?

I tested a few times on my end using the steps you provided, but NinjaTrader does not become unresponsive when extending Panel 2 all the way to the top.

Comment

Jason,

I realize it’s difficult to solve a problem if you can’t reproduce it at your end. I don’t think we’ll get anywhere unless you go through close to the same thing I did. The following set up may shed some light on the problem. I actually ran 5 charts, 5 ATMs, 3 indicators and an Autotrader, so I hope the following simpler set up serves the purpose.

Set up a workspace with:
              One chart of the TF 06-09.
              Use 15 RangeAlt (get from downloads…Alternate Range Bar Implementation).
              Use IB data feed.

Apply the following indicators to the chart:
              WoodiesCCI (already on the indicators list)
              CCI Patterns and Data Extraction (get from downloads…CCI Pattern Recognition with Data Extraction v3.2).
              Set up an ATM for 2 contracts with a 10 tic Stop Loss and exit all at a Profit Target of 20 tics. Name it AIAO.

Apply the following Strategy:
              WCCI_AT (get from downloads…Woodies CCI Autotrader)
              Type the name of the ATM, ie, AIAO at the top row where it says ATM Strategy, before applying the strategy.

Run the set up for at least several days. Hopefully, you can then reproduce the problem and figure out what’s causing it. If not, and the problem is only with me and eDanny, then so be it.

However, if you find nothing, I still think NT should not become unresponsive if it has a problem with a particular symbol, especially if not even connected to a data feed. NT should signal that there is a problem for that symbol, but not become unresponsive.

Again, all this is meant to be constructive to improve NT.

thnx

-marvel

Comment

Hello marvel,

I will run your setup starting next week and will check if I can reproduce the issue.

Please save your setup described below in a workspace and forward the workspace file to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com. Please include 'Attn Jason' in the subject header.

Instructions and more information regarding workspaces can be found at the link below.

You can find the workspace file at My Documents-->NinjaTrader 6.5-->workspaces. Attach the .xml file when NinjaTrader is closed.
                Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jason; 05-15-2009, 11:32 AM.

Comment

I get unresponsiveness loading charts often and eventually I just restart my machine when:

ES
                  ZN
                  6E
                  CL

15 Minute bars with daily OHLC, weekly OHLC, Daily, Weekly, Monthly Pivots, D2 RSI and Divergence CCI.

IB feed. One or two will load and then the program hangs....

I think the problem is having to reload all of those bars.... any thoughts? Might it be the new TWS version?

I looked into barcharts yesterday... the website didn't let me access the pay for data service... any thoughts??

Comment

Hello mainstream,

I suggest to set 'Calculate on bar close' to True for all indicators. Reduce the amount of historical data in your charts and check if that will make a difference.

In addition, more helpful tips can be found at the link below.

Comment

Thanks that's exactly right. Historical is the issue. Because the monthly pivots needs lots of data... but 887 was an important area the last few days... that was monthly high in the monthly calcs of those indicators....

I guess it's worth the restart
                      Last edited by mainstream; 05-16-2009, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Some further suggestions

Hi mainstream,

I also use monthly Pivots, and I have a data feed with IB. My minimum lookback period for monthly pivots would be 65 days (worst case: August 31, would need complete July and one prior working day of June to inform the indicator that July is complete, worst case again: this working day is June 28). Here is my experience:

1. To feed the chart with 65, 90 or 120 days, IB will not allow you to do this in one step. Best is reloading historical data in bits of 4 weeks, before displaying the instrument within the chart.

2. If you have several intraday charts for the same instrument, it is safer to load them one by one, because otherwise IB might not allow backfilling(unfortunately NT asks for backfill for the same instrument several times).

3. Never use a market analyzer, when updating your charts. Market analyzer and charts wildly access the NT database at the same time, and NT might freeze.

With the three precautions above, and selecting "calculate on bar close", where applicable, you can display charts with impressive lookback periods, even with data by Interactive Brokers.

Comment

Those are great tips! Thank you.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by adeelshahzad, Today, 03:54 AM
                          5 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                          Started by stafe, 04-15-2024, 08:34 PM
                          7 responses