Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart Anomaly

Hi,
    A question for anyone. I trade using the Hershey method and have a number of Hershey-specific indicators which I use. Today when I brought up my charts, I noticed that the chart data for the ES 03-09 15 minute time frame shows no volume bars. If I start with an ES 15 min chart and toggle to higher or lower time frames, the volume bars 'reappear'. If I start with an ES 5 min chart and toggle through to 15 min, the volume bars 'disappear'. The data box shows that volume is being measured but for some reason the volume bars simply don't show up on the chart for the 15 minute time frame. If I use other indicators for the volume (VOL, VolumePRV, VolumeSCT, VolumwTricolor, Volume UpDown) then the bars are there.

I tried doing a NT repair but nothing changed. It's as if the indicator I'm using won't properly interact with a 15 minute time frame parameter, which is totally wierd. Any ideas? Would an uninstall/reinstall of NT fix this?

TIA

lj

Hi ljyoung - do you get any errors in the Log tab of the Control Center? Can you please post a chart of your issue? Is this a custom indicator you use to display the volume info? Thanks!
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
      Hi ljyoung - do you get any errors in the Log tab of the Control Center? Can you please post a chart of your issue? Is this a custom indicator you use to display the volume info? Thanks!
      Hi Bertrand,
      Let me answer your questions first. Yes I do get an error message in the Log when I toggle from an ES 03-09 30 min chart to the 15 min chart. This is shown in attachment 1. When I toggle back to 15 min from 30 min, there is no error message in the Log as is shown in attachment 2. Yes this is a custom indicator which has been working flawlessly until this past weekend. The attachments also show the problem I was speaking about, e.g., the loss of the volume bars in the 15 min trace.

The error messages at 6:53:57 have been seen before and haven't been associated with any problem running the indicator that I've been able to detect. However I don't know whether this is really the case and it may be that both these errors are related.

Thanks for your response and hopefully we can get this straightened out.

lj (Larry)

The error messages have been blurred because of the compression and thus I have printed them below:

2/16/2009 6:55:29 AM Default Error on calling the 'OnBarUpdate' method for indicator 'PP_JHMVolume' on bar 1: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
      Parameter name: index

2/16/2009 6:53:57 AM Default Error on plotting indicator 'PP_JHInfoBox'. Please check the 'OnBarUpdate' or the 'Plot' method: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

These errors indicate possible corrupt data in your database. Please try the following and test your charts between each step:

Please try repairing your database:
        1. Go to Tools --> Options --> Misc --> Repair DB
        Please try repairing your NinjaTrader Installation:
        1. Shut Down NinjaTrader
        2. Go to Uninstall Programs in the Windows Control Panel
        3. Select NinjaTrader and hit the "repair" or "change" button and follow the instructions to repair the installation.
        If that does not work, try renaming your database:
        1. Shut Down NinjaTrader
        2. Go to \Documents\NinjaTrader6.5\db
        3. Rename the file NinjaTrader.mbd to OldNinjaTrader.mbd
        Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RJStein View Post
          Hi,

These errors indicate possible corrupt data in your database. Please try the following and test your charts between each step:

Please try repairing your database:
          1. Go to Tools --> Options --> Misc --> Repair DB
          Please try repairing your NinjaTrader Installation:
          1. Shut Down NinjaTrader
          2. Go to Uninstall Programs in the Windows Control Panel
          3. Select NinjaTrader and hit the "repair" or "change" button and follow the instructions to repair the installation.
          If that does not work, try renaming your database:
          1. Shut Down NinjaTrader
          2. Go to \Documents\NinjaTrader6.5\db
          3. Rename the file NinjaTrader.mbd to OldNinjaTrader.mbd
          Hi RJStein,

I agree that it looks like a corruption and in fact I had tried the RepairDB and RepairNT protocols before. Repeated all that you suggested and in addition deleted all possible offending indicators, then reinstalled the most recent versions of the indicators, ALL to no avail.
          So now its the old complete uninstall and reinstall of NT and that has to work. Right?? I'll let you know.

lj

Comment

Originally posted by ljyoung View Post
            Hi RJStein,

I agree that it looks like a corruption and in fact I had tried the RepairDB and RepairNT protocols before. Repeated all that you suggested and in addition deleted all possible offending indicators, then reinstalled the most recent versions of the indicators, ALL to no avail.
            So now its the old complete uninstall and reinstall of NT and that has to work. Right?? I'll let you know.

lj
            After doing a careful, complete uninstall of NT (including the Documents and Program Files folders) and then reinstalling a fresh copy of the most recent version of NT, the problem persists. It would appear that there is something wrong with the indicator itself (PP_JHMVolume with the babs2000 fix) except for two things. No other Hershey trader has reported a similar problem and what is even more odd, the YM, ZB and TF 03-09 contracts do not have the anomaly, but the NQ 03-09 like the ES 03-09 does. To repeat, the anomaly is that with the indicator noted above, the 15 min chart shows no volume bars but the time frames on either side of it (10 min and 30 min) do have volume bars.

I have no idea what's going on and while the obvious fix is to not use that time frame, such a course of action seems less than satisfactory.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

TIA

lj

Comment

Hi ljyoung, I could test this on my end and try to reroduce this issue. You can forward me the indicators to test to support at ninjatrader dot com Attn Bertrand. Thanks!
              BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
                Hi ljyoung, I could test this on my end and try to reroduce this issue. You can forward me the indicators to test to support at ninjatrader dot com Attn Bertrand. Thanks!
                Hi Bertrand,

I will do just that - [email protected] with Attn Bertrand in the subject section. Just in case some other unfortunate soul ends up with this critter, the workaround I settled on was to use LostTrader's SCTVolume Ninjascript which can be found on the ET Forum: Software Used to Trade Jack Hershey's Method.

Thanks again to all the NT staff. You've been very attentive.

lj

Comment

Has anyone found a reason for this anomaly? I now have the same issue on ES 5 min bars.

Comment

Originally posted by qMozP View Post
                    Has anyone found a reason for this anomaly? I now have the same issue on ES 5 min bars.
                    Go to "Format Data Series" and change the range by a couple of days (+ or - doesn't matter). Works great but as to why it does and what is the problem, I don't know.

Comment

Thank you that did it, a fast response too.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by lightsun47, Today, 03:51 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post lightsun47  
                      Started by 00nevest, Today, 02:27 PM
                      1 response
                      0 likes
                      Last Post 00nevest