historical data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

historical data

hi, i have historical data that is in comma delimited format, can ninja trader import this format and if so then what steps do I follow to import it this way?

TICKER,YYYYMMDD,O,H,L,C,VOL,OPENINTEREST

thanks,
    J.

Hi,

Please take a look to impirt historical data:
    Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi thanks for the response. Is there any utility available within ninja trader that allows me to convert comma separated text files into semi-colon separated text files then import them into ninja trader?

Comment

Hi,

Not that I know of.

Comment

hi, is there any utility available on the internet that allows me to do the conversion? I tried searching but got zippo, maybe not too good with searching maybe you might know?

thanks,
          J

Comment

I have no clue. Perhaps someone in the community knows?

Comment

Unable to import file

Hi,
              I have been trying to import a text file of historical daily data without a success. I have followed the instruction in the manual. I have read many threads here. I even research other sites and forums. Still without a success.

I find that it is not easy, simple and user friendly for many people, not just me. I think a lot could be improved here.

I changed the original format into the required NT format. I use the format for daily data. It's EURUSD, I changed the zero volume for 1.

yyyyMMdd;open price;high price;low price;close price;volume

I put the name of the text file into the Instrument Manager. I created new, "Master Instrument" name as a name of the text file, exchanges "Default", on the "Misc" tab I chose Symbol map "External" and put the name of the text file, I put the new instrument name into the default list.

And, I still can not import the file. I don't know what is the "ultimate trick" or what specific instructions I am supposed to follow.

Thank you everybody in advance for any advice or guidance.

Comment

Hi monn, thanks for the post and welcome to our support forums!

The EURUSD instrument is already fully setup in the master instrument list, please try naming your txt file $EURUSD.txt and then reimport the data and recheck if any error pop up in the log tab. If not, then go ahead and check the data on a chart.

You could also create a Gain / Forex.com account connection and just use 1440 min charts as workaround for daily historical FX spot data access.

Last edited by NinjaTrader_Bertrand; 10-14-2009, 06:58 AM.
                BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

New to NT, testing on FX markets, cannot figure out historical data with GAIN demo connection - apparently I'm not alone. I believe i have followed all instructions, successfully set up Gain connection, selected "use NT servers" for historical data, no matter what I do I cannot get any data earlier than the day I downloaded NT. Do I not understand the definition of "historical data", or am I doing something wrong? Thx!

Comment

What kind of chart do you have up? Can you select a 1 minute chart with 10 days selected for historical data. Is the chart filling in correctly?

Comment

So far, just FX charts, 15m, 60m, 240m, and daily.

Update - I deleted and recreated the Gain Forex connection and after a couple restarts, I am now getting historical data on the minute charts, as much as a year back on the 24om chart, have not requested further back than that.

I cannot get any data on the d/w/m charts. I have been able to set up 1440m charts in lieu of daily charts, as siuggested here in an earlier post. Curious why, when using "Reload Historical Data", the option to call up d/w/m data is greyed out.

Thx again...

Comment

Originally posted by tworth View Post
                        So far, just FX charts, 15m, 60m, 240m, and daily.

Update - I deleted and recreated the Gain Forex connection and after a couple restarts, I am now getting historical data on the minute charts, as much as a year back on the 24om chart, have not requested further back than that.

I cannot get any data on the d/w/m charts. I have been able to set up 1440m charts in lieu of daily charts, as siuggested here in an earlier post. Curious why, when using "Reload Historical Data", the option to call up d/w/m data is greyed out.

Thx again...

Hello tworth,

Unfortunately Daily historical data is not available at this time with the GAIN Capital/Forex.com connection at this time. Therefore you will not have access to historical data when viewing Daily, Weekly or Monthly charts since daily data is used to create these bars.

I have provided a link below to the data providers supported by NinjaTrader. This page will go over the types of data they offer as well as the instruments they support.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
                        Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Gain demo works, but not my text file of daily hist. data

Thanks Bertrand.
                          Gain Demo datafeed works, but no daily charts. It means no backtesting of daily data. It's hard to believe there is no demand for it ...

Why does the name of the text file, e.i. "EU9000", fail to import it in the Instrument manager ? Why can not I name the instrument file the way I want ? I renamed my text file of daily data "EURUSD". Import was successful (no error in the log file), but I could not display the chart, I could not backtest it. What is the correct step-by-step process ? One detailed example of how to do it would be very beneficial to everyone. By the way, why is the process of importing external text files so complicated and buggy ?

Any solid fixes in the version 7 ?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
                          Hi monn, thanks for the post and welcome to our support forums!

The EURUSD instrument is already fully setup in the master instrument list, please try naming your txt file $EURUSD.txt and then reimport the data and recheck if any error pop up in the log tab. If not, then go ahead and check the data on a chart.

You could also create a Gain / Forex.com account connection and just use 1440 min charts as workaround for daily historical FX spot data access.

http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/support_GAIN.htm

Comment

Hello,

Gain Demo datafeed works, but no daily charts. It means no backtesting of daily data. It's hard to believe there is no demand for it ...
                            >>I am sorry we cannot control what data GAIN provides you.

Why does the name of the text file, e.i. "EU9000", fail to import it in the Instrument manager ?
                            >>Because it is internally mapped to the platform via the instrument name. You can try to create a new instrument via tools>instrument manager>New and be sure the mapping is correct on the Misc. tab so that it picks up your new name. However this is advanced.

Why can not I name the instrument file the way I want ?
                            >>see above

I renamed my text file of daily data "EURUSD". Import was successful (no error in the log file), but I could not display the chart, I could not backtest it. What is the correct step-by-step process ? One detailed example of how to do it would be very beneficial to everyone. By the way, why is the process of importing external text files so complicated and buggy ?
                            >>Please visit this link:

Any solid fixes in the version 7 ?
                            DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Downloading hist.data still doesn't work in V7

Hi everybody.
                              I gave up on version 6 with regard to downloading historical data from a text file and charting it. I was hoping it would be a piece of cake in V7. It isn't. I have spend x amount of hours searching this forum and the user guide for version 6.

I am out of bullets.
                              Could anybody just show me a very simple,step-by-step example of how to do it? Just one.The step-by-step part of my wish is very important. I would really love to see just one simple example that works.

I don't mind doing it myself. But, since I find many people having similar problems, V6 guide isn't specific enough and the user guide for V7 is not out yet, I think it would help not just me, but also other people.

Seeing is believing. If I don't see it, I think the claims by NT should be scaled down with regard to testing historical data on their platform. It damages their credibility with unfulfilled promises.

V7 is definitely a very big improvement, but this issue is just frustrating.
                              Thank you everybody for your time and effort.

Monnn

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by futtrader, 04-21-2024, 01:50 AM
                              6 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post futtrader  
                              Started by sgordet, Today, 11:48 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view