Charts Don't Load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charts Don't Load

Often when I start Ninja trader, and then connect to my broker, some of the charts stay blank and there is no way of selecting any of the menus on any of the charts. Often I need to restart Ninja many times to finally get them to load.

The problem occurs with Pats feed, Zen Fire and IQ DTN. Many times I have deleted the database and things work for a few days and then it starts to play up again. This has been happening for 6 months on 2 computers with 3 datafeeds and 2 ISP's.

Hello webart,

The data/resource request when you connect to your data feed provider is too large. This causes not all charts to load. It makes sense if it finally loads after a few times. The first time the data request it the largest, but you loaded some data. The second time the total data request is less than the first time and again you load some new data. And so on.

You will need to reduce the total data/resource request of NinjaTrader the moment you connect.

Please check if you are running workspaces in the background (these will request data & resources as well) and close them. Please go to File-->Workspaces and close all workspaces listed below "Save Workspace As" except the Default workspace. Select the workspace and go to File-->Workspaces-->Close Workspace. By closing workspaces running in the background can greatly reduce resource request. After you connected you can open up additional workspaces if you like; you spread the resource request.

Close some charts, SuperDOM's or other NinjaTrader windows. Reduce the amount of indicators in your chart or set 'Calculate on bar close' to True. Reduce the amount of historical data in your charts by configuring the Format Data Series window. Ultimately you will need to reduce resource request of NinjaTrader when connecting to your data feed.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have 8 charts, with a few basic indicators, SMA's, Stoch etc and not going back more than 60 days.

Anyway, the other option is to just leave the computer running 24/7, I guess I'll just do that.

Just the one workspace open.

thx.

Comment

Ok, I lost the entire trading day yesterday, as I was trying to switch between my Forex Ninja account and my Ninja futures account.

It took hours of restarting Ninja to get the charts to load. I deleted some, but then when I create them again the instrument stays on INSTRUMENT and the time stays on 1Min and the chart stay blank. The new charts would not load either.

Now I have it running with 4 charts to allow for easy starting and I was planning to just switch between the instruments on the charts when I wanted to veiw difference currency futures. 1 in 3 times when I do that the chart says I don't have enough data to calculate Pivots, even though i do and did and even though I reload the data with 60 days history.

Then one in 4 times when I reload the data to try to fix the Pivot Points problem, one chart goes blank and then nothing can be done exect close Ninja and go through the entire proccess again.

I think I will have to go back to Metatrader for Forex and just leave Ninja running 24/7 on the ZenFire account with all charts loaded as it is impossible to switch account or charts. 4 Charts isn't enough for a few time frames of a few currency pairs anyway. It's a shame because I would prefer Ninja over Metatrader, if these issues where not present.

Comment

Hello webart,

Could you please send me your workspace to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com. You can find your workspaces at My Documents-->NinjaTrader 6.5-->workspaces. Please put 'Attn Jason' in the subject header and reference this thread.

In addition, please tell me the size of your database, which can be found at My Documents-->NinjaTrader 6.5-->db-->NinjaTrader.mdb.

Comment

My 2 cents

I'm having problem loading charts too and it really sucks (
            I use IQFeed connection and load equities minute data for 15 days. I have no more than 4-5 charts open at a time. Now it is Saturday and every second time I enter a symbol in a chart this is it - it never gets chart data, the request which “can not be aborted” never finishes. More than that - I can not go back to symbol which I could see chart for few minutes ago, nothing works after that point. I tried reconnecting the IQFeed connection - no help. IQFeed client seems to be fine and alive, it keeps resetting number of seconds since last update.
            So far I did not have problems with it during market hours though. But still, not being able to analyze charts during market close hours is really really annoying.

It's a bad software design in terms of error handling. Even if an error occurs during loading chart data, the application should be able keep up and remain usable as it is not application fatal error.

Comment

Hello,

I did not read the entire thread, but did you try going to Documents>NinjaTrader 6.5>workspaces and deleting all of the files found here. Then recreate and resave the workspaces.
              DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Charts won't load properly

I just downloaded Ninjatrader to give it a test drive. I am having the same problem with charts not loading.
                Also, chart trader is unresponsive, blank spaces where buttons should be. Had to reset the database to get things working again. I did not expect to have these issues in simulation mode.

Comment

I face the same issue and had posted this on a different thread and never got a resolution

I shut down NT/Computer every Friday after market close. I start computer/open NT every Sunday evening and not all charts will load. I have to shut down NT, delete the contents of the worspace folder, start NT, recreate the workspace with each chart and DOM etc. I then leave computer/NT running 24/5 until Friday. Its a real pain to recreate workspace every week.

Comment

Hello,

pipmeister2 - I suggest completely re-installing NT if you just downloaded it:

Please follow the steps listed below to completely uninstall and reinstall NinjaTrader:
                    1. Close all running applications.
                    2. Then from the Start menu select --> Control Panel --> Add and Remove Programs.
                    3. From Add and Remove Programs select NinjaTrader 6.5 and click Remove.
                    4. Then manually delete the folder "NinjaTrader 6.5" located under Start --> My Documents.
                    5. Delete any NinjaTrader installation files. This can be done by going to Start --> My Computer --> Search button --> search for (NinjaTrader*) --> select Local C Disk and then press search.
                    6. Then you will need to clear your internet browser cache and history. You will clear this from within your internet browser (with IE, Tools-->Options, delete cookies and files, clear history).
                    7. Reboot your machine.
                    8. Once these steps are completed, download NT6.5 from the link below:
                      http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/do...g_software.htm
                    Please let us know if you are able to get up and running after the reinstall.

yeneuro - This is what can corrupt a workspace:
                    -Connecting to NT before your computer is booted and connected to your internet.
                    -Unexpected interenet or data feed disconnections including closing NT before you have disconnected your data feed.
                    - Power outages.
                    - 3rd party software that has errors.
                    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Re: re-installing NT

So far, I have completely uninstalled NT per steps 1 - 7.
                      I then downloaded NT from the link provided in step 8 and performed a fresh re-install.

My charts are loading normally using the IB feed, and Chart Trader is working fine.

Thanks for your help NinjaTrader _Ben, now NT seems to be working flawlessly.

The Pipmeister

Comment

toggling workspaces

How may I toggle between workspaces from teh key board ,please?

Comment

Hello laredo,

You can use Shift + F3 to toggle between opened workspaces.

Comment

charts won't populate upon loading

I worked with a cust serv rep today for almost an hour who followed the proscribed advice of deleting all existing workspaces, and starting the
                            data connection process with minimum requests. One workspace,
                            about 8 charts. this is the minimum desktop I need to make trade decisions.
                            I continued to have the same problem, charts load but stay blank. Have tested this on a Duo and Quad Duo, 4 Gigs Ram, eSignal data and IB LLC data, loading the charts without any indicators, loading them with indicators, and use Win XP not the dreaded Vista. ...still have the same problem, and yet
                            after reading all the posts here that note the same problem, the cust serv rep said he had never seen this before. don't know how such an obvious and serious problem got so far under the radar screen of revision release numbers which now number the 6.5 version to 12, but this needs to get some serious attention quickly, as losing an entire morning trying to load and reload charts in order for them to populate just won't do.

Comment

having much better luck with ensign

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by ETFVoyageur, Today, 04:00 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post ETFVoyageur  
                              Started by AaronKTradingForum, Today, 03:44 PM
                              1 response