Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symbol NG

I have Natural Gas set up as "NG" Minimum Movement .001 Point Value 10,000

With Range Bars the prices are correct with 3 decimal places to the right of the decimal (5.981,5.982,5.983 etc). Under RangeAlt or any other interval the price only displays values for the first two decimal places to the right of the decimal (5.970,5.980,5.990).

Please advise.

Hello,

Please provide a screen shot that displays the two charts and your Misc and Definitions tabs.

To send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screen shot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CRTL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.
    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I only have this problem on NG.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ThatManFromTexas; 01-05-2009, 01:38 AM. Reason: More pertinent information.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the screenshots - I have a PointValue of 1000 in my database for NG on Nymex. TickSize of 0.001 is correct, do you only see this on the RangeBar / RangeBar Alt charts?
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

From the Nymex website http://www.nymex.com/NG_spec.aspx

Trading Unit

10,000 million British thermal units (mmBtu).

Minimum Price Fluctuation

$0.001 (0.1˘) per mmBtu ($10.00 per contract).

If the minimum tick move is $10 and the minimum movement is .001 isn't that $10,000 per point?

From : http://www.venturafutures.com/educat...ng-futures.pdf

Natural Gas, (Symbol: NG) 10,000MM BTUs/contract. Minimum tick move is $10. (1 point is $10 or 1/10th cent). Natural Gas is quoted in dollars per BTU. If the current price is $7.35 per BTU, the price quote would read as 7.350 or 7350. Example: If the price of Natural Gas moves from 7350/BTU to 8185/BTU, this would be a move of 835 points, multiplied by $10/point, which equals $8350. To recap, this is a move in Nat. Gas from $7.35/BTU up to 8.185/BTU.

From: http://www.investopedia.com/articles...t.asp?viewed=1

Natural gas is one of the bigger futures contracts that are traded worldwide. One contract equals 10,000 MM Btus (million British thermal units). If the current market price is $6 per MM Btus, the contract has a value of $60,000 ($6 x 10,000 MM Btus = $60,000).

Movement
          The minimum tick is $0.001, or $10 per tick per contract. For example, let's say you buy a contract of natural gas when the market is at $6, and then sell it at $7. In this transaction, you would have made $10,000 on the $1 move in natural gas.

Comment

12 hours

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
            Hi, thanks for the screenshots - I have a PointValue of 1000 in my database for NG on Nymex. TickSize of 0.001 is correct, do you only see this on the RangeBar / RangeBar Alt charts?
            Your database is probably setup for the"NG" traded on the London exchange. I trade on Nymex.

Tick bars, Volume Bars do the same as RangeAlt; last digit is always "0".

Comment

Hi, I guess this has to do with the internal roundings in the RangeBarAlt chart type, but I will check with the developer on this and let you know.

Comment

I would like to chip in here, as I do not see this as an issue specific to RangeAlt. I get only 2 decimal places on all historical bars, for Tick, Volume and Minute data - the 3rd decimal place is always "zero".
                On RangeAlt, as long as the range is not divisible by 10 (e.g. 16 tick range), then historical bars will have either the high or low as 2 decimal places, and the other end of the bar the expected ticks difference which therefore has the third decimal.
                On Range bars I get almost the same as RangeAlt except that I do get some historical bars with 3 decimals for high AND low - this is about 1 bar in 10 from a quick count.
                In all cases, as realtime bars are formed, they have 3 decimal places.

I am using Zenfire data, and my account connection has Historical Data "Enabled". Contract charted is NG 02-09.

Comment

Hi MJT, thanks for your input, I will test and clarify this and let you know.

Comment

MJT is correct, it is NOT a problem with RangeAlt but with the symbol "NG" setup.

Symbol "ZI" minimum movement is .001 and the prices on it show three digits without ending in zero.

Symbol "NG" with the point value set incorrectly to the default value of 1000 , the prices are displayed to 3 digits correctly, but the profit calculations are naturally off 90%.

I simply want to be able to chart "NG" correctly.

Comment

MJT, on NG 2-09, using RangeAlt bars, what do you get for the difference between the close of the previous bar and the open of the current bar? My chart shows "10" (i.e. Close[1] 6.080, Open[0] 6.070).

Comment

Thanks for making us aware, I could reproduce this issue on my end. We are investigating and will update this thread with a resolution. Thanks!

Comment

I am getting a $1.00 change in value in the DOM (for both the Nymex and Globex exchanges) for each minimum change in tick fluctuation in NG...

I believe the min. tick fluctuation is $10 in NG...is there a way to reset something in the Instrument Manager to get the $10 per tick value ??...have fussed with it a bit there but have not hit the correct setup as yet...

Any suggestions...??

Thanks...

Comment

Alfred, please go to Tools > Instrument Manager and check your setup for the NG master instrument. It should be set to use 0.001 Tick size and a point value of 10000.

Comment

Got it working OK now...

Thanks...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                              6 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post DJ888