Reconnect after connection loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reconnect after connection loss

Hello, sometimes my connection went to a red dot (connection lost) but when I reconnect it directy works.

Well my strategy runs 24/7 so I need this connection all the time.

So how can I setup that it automatic try to reconnect without I need to reconnect manually?

Thank you

Hello Uregon,

Unfortunately there is no setting that you can configure that will automatically re-connect you.

Can you please troubleshoot the connection loss with the steps below. Test for the issue after each step.
    • Restart NinjaTrader
    • Restart your modem and (if applicable) router
    • Restart your PC/server
    • Clear your DNS [*=1]Open the Command Prompt: https://www.howtogeek.com/235101/10-...in-windows-10/ [*=1]In the command prompt, run this command: ipconfig /flushdns
    • If you are not already and the option is available to you, connect to the internet using an ethernet cable. Wireless connections are significantly more unreliable.
    • Ensure exceptions have been added into any firewall/antivirus/backup programs for the Documents > "NinjaTrader 8" folder.
    • Ensure that your computer is not turning off your Network Adapter to conserve power: [*=1]Right-click on your Start button [*=1]Select 'Device Manager' [*=1]Expand 'Network Adapters' [*=1]Right-click on your Network Adapter and select Properties > Power Management [*=1]Uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' option [*=1]Click 'OK' to save the changes [*=1]Do this for all Network Adapters
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jason, I am also having the issue with Connection Lost, pretty much every day. I am running an automated strategy from 9:00 to 16:00 NY time. The strategy waits for the prices to update in order to generate entry and exit signals. It has already happened that a position is open and the connection is lost before the position is closed. If I am not there to check the orders or open positions, it could generate an unnecessary loss. I am currently connecting from my laptop and in simulation mode since I just started testing the strategy in realtime. Would you say that it is safer to get a VPS and run the strategy from there? In my case, it could be that my internet connection is not very stable all the time.

Comment

Hello ACENTforum,

Thanks for posting.

You are correct, these ConnectionLost errors are indicative of network connection issues between your local PC and the data/order routing servers in use. While no machine is technically impervious to connection issues, a VPS system would often have very stable connections. Some VPS services may even offer servers close in proximity to your destination servers to minimize latency.
        Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NinjaTrader_DrewO, thanks for your reply. Would you have any VPS service that you would suggest for this purpose? Thanks

Comment

Hello ACENTforum,

Thanks for replying!

We unfortunately can't make any recommendations on this topic, but I'll be happy to leave this thread open for other users to leave their feedback!

Comment

@NinjaTrader_DrewO​ I would like to +1 on this thread.

This is a major problem for Strategy based traders like myself. Once the connection is lost, NT8 doesn't allow to reset it without disconnecting the existing "lost connection". That kills all the working strategies and reset them which makes it super frustrating to work with.

As I understand this is how NT works, which is very bizarre because all other platforms I used the in the past auto reconnects. Are there any plans to address this problem? The more I move to strategy based trading, the more difficult I'm finding it to work with NT to be honest.

thanks
              M

Comment

mntemel,

Thanks for your reply post.

There are some settings that address strategy behavior upon connection loss. You can find them from the Control Center under Tools -> Options -> Strategies. More information at the below link:

Comment

@NinjaTrader_DrewO​ the link you shared seems to be broken

thanks
                  M

Comment

Hi mntemel,

Thanks for point that out. It's strange, the link seems to work for me on my end. Please try the below link instead:

Comment

@NinjaTrader_DrewO​ thanks for sharing the documentation. I appreciate the fact that there are settings on how the strategy should be have on connection loss but I cannot understand why Ninjatrader doesn't try to reconnect itself, as @ACENTforum​ also mentioned, this is such a big deal breaker for 24hr strategy users, no algorithmic trader can sit in front of the PC and monitor connection loss. It would be great if you guys can log this as customer request for platform development.

Comment

Helo mntemel,

Thanks for your reply.

NinjaTrader will attempt to reconnect when a connection loss is detected, but if the network connection issues continue throughout this process it would not be able to do so. Regardless, we'll be happy to record your feedback on this item.

Comment

NinjaTrader_DrewO It is not always the case. There have been a few times where I had disconnects with funded accounts (Rithmic), and NT simply stayed idle even though I had an internet connection. I had to manually reconnect. Probably some rare bug or idk.

Comment

Originally posted by Leeroy_Jenkins View Post
                            NinjaTrader_DrewO It is not always the case. There have been a few times where I had disconnects with funded accounts (Rithmic), and NT simply stayed idle even though I had an internet connection. I had to manually reconnect. Probably some rare bug or idk.
                            same here, on Ninjatrader Brokerage "live" connection

Comment

Hi rocker84,

I'd be happy to review your diagnostic files for more insight on this connection loss situation. You can send me your log and trace files by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support. Please ensure 'Log and Trace Files' is checked to include these files. This is checked by default.

Please include a link to this forum thread and reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 04124642 ATTN: Drew​

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Bidder
                              by Bidder

Started by DJ888, Yesterday, 10:57 PM
                              0 responses