Barchart not streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barchart not streaming

I've just started using barchart data for stocks and NT does not continuously update the charts. I can force a refresh by doing a "reload historical data", but the charts then just sit there.

Previously I learned how to use NT by using OT data service, and it will still stream so I don't think it's a NT problem. Just trying to see if anyone else has a problem. So far barchart doesn't have any ideas...

I use Hughesnet satellite internet service, and I'm thinking it's a latency issue, since the latency can be very large during the middle of the day, but I'm looking to see if anyone else uses barchart with satellite internet?

Roy

Hello,

Thank you for your note.
    Data may not work properly with a satellite connection if the connection drops or has a hicup. This is not specific to BarChart. Please review this link and read the statement on wireless connections:

Try NOT working in a workspace since workspaces can get corrupted if you get disconnected.

Go to Documents>NinjaTrader 6.5>workspaces and delete all files located here.

Then do not save a workspace and select "no to all" upon NT shut down.

See if that helps.
    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

BarChart Frequent Disconnects no Wireless

We are finding that our BarChart connection disconnects once ever 30 seconds or so and on some computers it will disconnect ever second. We are currently on a LAN connection with decently fast download and upload bandwidth. BarChart says this is not their issue and we should contact NT. Any ideas?

Comment

I don't know ship... I'm still trying to figure things out. I tried Barchart at my son's house (fast, clean DSL) on a virgin install of NT 6.5 (latest release). With only one plain chart I still couldn't get streaming charts on stock symbols FSYS, SPY, and BRL (three major exchanges). I don't have disconnection problems though (at least not where you get an audible warning and visual notification). I just can't get the charts to stream.

Today on my satellite setup I went and cleaned out all of the workspaces. It appears I may have had one corrupted workspace because it wouldn't let me delete it until I re-opened it and closed it. Initially today my charts streamed for about the first 5 minutes very imtermitently using barcharts, but then it stopped. I've played with display update intervals, but that made no difference. I'm kinda lost.

I thought it had to be a barchart issue for me because opentick will stream on the same two set-ups I use. Today just makes me scratch my head.

Roy

Comment

Hello and thank you for your posts.

I have tested our Barchart.com connection and it is working as expected.

A couple of things to verify...

1. Please confirm your subscription to Barchart.com is for use with NinjaTrader and you have subscribed for the ETF instruments, such as the SPY, BRL and FSYS.

2. Please click here to verify why your NinjaTrader charts are not updating.

If the above does not troubleshoot, please contact our support team via email at support @ ninjatrader dot com

We can then test your Barchart.com connection on our pc's to verify if we are receiving similar results.
          RyanNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Just to update, I haven't followed through on Ryan's post completely yet as I have still been experimenting. I did go in and clean out the workspaces. It appears that NT workspaces are subject to corruption, and I now "Close" a workspace before "Opening" another one.

1) As it stands now, the DSL connected system still will not update at all... this is not of major importance since that was just a test and not my normal trading machine, and I have not really tried to get it going again. I just wanted to confirm that I was having problems and that the internet source "probably" wasn't the problem.

2) On my satellite connected machine, I now have some updating occuring, but only as noted here:
            a - NASDAQ symbols may/may not update
            b - AMEX symbols do not update
            c - NYSE symbols all update sporadically.

In the cases where updating occurs, it is directly related to volume. The higher the average volume, the more likely updating is to occur and also the frequency of updating is directly related to volume also (ie. higher volumes issues update near real time while lower volume issues, below 1MM shares/day, update every 3-10 seconds).

This doesn't explain the AMEX symbols though, where the volumes of the issues I follow are in the twenty to one hundred million range (ETF's).

Also note that workspaces, number of charts open (all same issue but different time frames), indicators on chart, display update frequency setting, and other appplications using internet bandwidth seem to have no impact on updating frequency.

I'll continue to explore this and also to update here as I learn more.

Roy

Comment

I believe I have now discovered at least part of the problem. It appears that Barchart (and perhaps other data suppliers except OpenTick) is sensitive to the case of the symbol entered into the Instrument Manager in the Symbol Mapping area.

For instance, "SPY" is not equal to "spy". What made this difficult to diagnose however is that a chart will load history with "spy" in the Symbol Mapping area, but the chart will not then stream/update.

The reason I had some symbols updating but not others was because I sometimes remembered to turn CAPS LOCK on when entering new issues into the Instrument Manager, and sometimes did not. I was not particularly careful about this because I was unaware it made a difference, so I just spent the last hour going through the Instrument Manager to correct all of the Symbol Mapping entries. It's also important to note that these changes will not take effect until you disconnect and reconnect to Barchart.

I'm not sure how often this is a problem for others because I spent several days scanning the forums for chart updating issues, and while I saw many, none were related to the Symbol Mapping entries. Just one more thing to add to the checklist when trouble shooting though.

Roy

Comment

Originally posted by Tokendude View Post
                I believe I have now discovered at least part of the problem. It appears that Barchart (and perhaps other data suppliers except OpenTick) is sensitive to the case of the symbol entered into the Instrument Manager in the Symbol Mapping area.

For instance, "SPY" is not equal to "spy". What made this difficult to diagnose however is that a chart will load history with "spy" in the Symbol Mapping area, but the chart will not then stream/update.

The reason I had some symbols updating but not others was because I sometimes remembered to turn CAPS LOCK on when entering new issues into the Instrument Manager, and sometimes did not. I was not particularly careful about this because I was unaware it made a difference, so I just spent the last hour going through the Instrument Manager to correct all of the Symbol Mapping entries. It's also important to note that these changes will not take effect until you disconnect and reconnect to Barchart.

I'm not sure how often this is a problem for others because I spent several days scanning the forums for chart updating issues, and while I saw many, none were related to the Symbol Mapping entries. Just one more thing to add to the checklist when trouble shooting though.

Roy
                Hello Roy,

Thank you for reporting.

Have a good day and happy trading!
                Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by FishTrade, 05-13-2024, 11:11 PM
                3 responses
                0 likes