Simulation Account Trading Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simulation Account Trading Issues

I just upgraded to Version 6.5.1000.7 and I am having several issues. Some of these may have been present in previous versions, and I just didn't notice them, so I'm not sure it's related to the recent upgrade.

Starting with a simulated account of 500,000 I get a Buying Power of 1,000,000. I understand that NT simply doubles the starting equity, and while not correct in concept, I accept that is how it's programmed.

Other relevant settings include the reference instrument is $EURUSD. The tick size is set to 0.0001. The Point Value to 100,000.

1) When trying to place a trade through Chart Trader or through the Order Tab of the Control Panel I get the following error: "Order has exceeded available equity: Please reduce order size Affected Order: Sell 200,000 Stop @ 1.2817" This clearly cannot be correct since that order is only ~$256,000. Now this error occurs if I enter the order as a Stop Order, a Limit Order, and even as a Market Sell Order, BUT... It will accept the order as a Market Buy Order. So something is definitely wrong. Please let me know how to fix this issue.

2) Once an order is entered and filled (as a market Buy as noted above), I check the Acounts Tab. It shows an initial margin of $20,000,000. Now this is with the Initial margin Value in the Tools--Options-Simulator Tab set to 1.0 and the Margin Value in the Instrument to 100 (not the value I want to use as noted in Item #4 below). So now the Initial Margin posted Exceeds the Account Cash Value and Buying Power. How is this possible?? The order should have been rejected since the margin required exceeded the cash value of the account.

3) The Excess Equity is shown as equal to the Cash Value, but I cannot figure out how this is calculated or can be true, since according to my example, I am using 20,000,000 in margin, which would mean my excess equity is 256,340 minus 20,000,000 or (-19,743,660). Please explain.

3) When I go into the Instrument Manager and edit one of the instruments and change the value for the Margin, and then Hit OK and then return to the same instrument, the value for Margin has been reset to Zero. I think this has to do with the fact that I'm entering a value below 1. But this is necessary for items like forex, since if I use a value of 1, I get an Initial Margin of 200,000. Which if my broker allows 100:1 leverage, on a $256,000 order, I would be required to only post $2,560. Please clarify why the program limitations are set as indicated.

I look forward to your response. Thanks. - Jeff

As a follow-up to Item #1, it appears that the order being rejected on the Chart Trader and so forth is due to the Initial Margin value set in the Instrument Manager. If I change that value back to zero, then all of the orders are submitted as appropriate. So it seems that the bug that exists is that a Market Buy order is accepted even if the Initial margin exceeds the buying power.

The other remaining items remain in question however. Because if I use a value of Zero for Margin in the Indtruments, then the other numbers are meaningless.

Thanks again - Jeff

Comment

Please see the links below for more information regarding the sim101 account settings.

The sim101 account settings are a "gray" area, you will need to test what setup will work best for you.

The other link will provide more information regarding forex trading and the sim101 account.
      JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jason,

Thanks for the response. And I appreciate the support you guys give. While I'm disappointed the sim account is considered a "gray" area for NT, I'm willing to accept it.

I still two issues that concern me however. First, your response doesn't address the trading issue experienced listed in item #1. I think there is a bug that allows me to trade with a Buy Market order even if exceeding the available equity (This is probably only true in the Sim account since it would be rejected by my broker), so I think you may need to look into it.

Second, your response doesn't address the issue listed in the second #3 item (should have been #4) regarding using a value below 1.0 in the margin values in the Instrument Manager. Since you indicate that I have to use values that work for me, but you don't let me put in a value that would work for me, this is a problem.

Thanks again for your response.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Thank you for reporting the issue. I tested this on my end and was able to submit orders that exceed the availiable equity as well. I have sent a note to Development to improve this and asked them if they can add this to the list of future considerations for the software.

Unfortunately the "Margin value" field only accepts whole numbers and not numbers that use decimal values.
          JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
          173 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post jeronymite  
          Started by Mindset, Yesterday, 10:38 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes