Extract indicator from nt 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extract indicator from nt 7

I have a indicator from nt 7 that I want to make a copy of. The file is from another company , how do I find the file and make a copy of it. I may want to update it for nt 8

Hello Gregory,

Thank you for your post.

To create a copy of a custom indicator, first you will want to export it through your platform.
    • Begin by navigating to File -> Utilities -> Export NinjaScript
    • Choose a name for your export folder, then select "Custom Indicators," from the drop-down menu on the left
    • Next, choose the indicator(s) in question, and select the > button
    • Click Export
    • A pop-up message will tell you the file path of the exported folder, but it is generally found in <My Documents>\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\ExportNinjaScript\
    • Close NinjaTrader, and then move this zipped folder elsewhere so that you may modify it without causing any problems with your current platform configuration.

Here is a bit more information about exporting NinjaScript files:

Please let me know if I may assist you further.
    Melissa J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Melissa View Post
      Hello Gregory,

Thank you for your post.

To create a copy of a custom indicator, first you will want to export it through your platform.
      • Begin by navigating to File -> Utilities -> Export NinjaScript
      • Choose a name for your export folder, then select "Custom Indicators," from the drop-down menu on the left
      • Next, choose the indicator(s) in question, and select the > button
      • Click Export
      • A pop-up message will tell you the file path of the exported folder, but it is generally found in <My Documents>\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\ExportNinjaScript\
      • Close NinjaTrader, and then move this zipped folder elsewhere so that you may modify it without causing any problems with your current platform configuration.

Here is a bit more information about exporting NinjaScript files:

Please let me know if I may assist you further.
      The indicator was from another site..I have 4 different ones from the same company. When I went thru the list it was not there. However if I want to delete it from nt 7, it is listed Is there a way to drag and drop it the c drive or is it located somewhere else?

Comment

Hello Gregory,

Thanks for your response.

The custom indicator files would be located in <My Documents>\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\.

The indicator files will be in the [dot]cs and [dot]dll format. Additionally, if you continue to have difficulties the developer of the indicator should be able to provide further guidance.

If you choose to copy them manually this way, please ensure that NinjaTrader is closed before navigating to the file location.

Let me know if I may assist further.

Comment

Hello Gregory,

The custom indicator files would be located in <My Documents>\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\.

The indicator files will be in the [dot]cs and [dot]dll format. Additionally, if you continue to have difficulties the developer of the indicator should be able to provide further guidance.

If you choose to copy them manually this way, please ensure that NinjaTrader is closed before navigating to the file location.

Let me know if I may assist further.
          So if I drag and drop them and have them changed for nt 8, how do I import them into Nt 8? Just drag and drop into the nt 8 custom bin file ?

Comment

Hello Gregory,

Although it is preferred that you have the original .zip file, you can import .cs files through the following instructions.
            • Navigate to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\Indicator. Copy the .CS File in this directory.
            • Next, you will need to compile the indicator and check for errors.

Follow the instructions to compile the indicator. Note that you will not see your new indicator listed until after you compile your indicators. You will first need to select an existing indicator and compile these from there. This is because NinjaTrader compiles all indicators and strategies- not just one.
            • Open NinjaTrader
            • From the Control Center select the New menu--> select NinjaScript Editor
            • Double click on the Indicators folder--> then double click on any of the indicators
            • Once the indicator code is in view right click in the window and select Compile to compile all NinjaScript objects
            • If no errors appear, the import should be complete.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Comment

Hello Gregory,

Although it is preferred that you have the original .zip file, you can import .cs files through the following instructions.
              • Navigate to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\Indicator. Copy the .CS File in this directory.
              • Next, you will need to compile the indicator and check for errors.

Follow the instructions to compile the indicator. Note that you will not see your new indicator listed until after you compile your indicators. You will first need to select an existing indicator and compile these from there. This is because NinjaTrader compiles all indicators and strategies- not just one.
              • Open NinjaTrader
              • From the Control Center select the New menu--> select NinjaScript Editor
              • Double click on the Indicators folder--> then double click on any of the indicators
              • Once the indicator code is in view right click in the window and select Compile to compile all NinjaScript objects

My nt 7 does not have script editor under new

Comment

Hello Gregory,
                Thank you for the reply.
                I sincerely apologize, those were the instructions for NinjaTrader 8.
                In NinjaTrader 7, copy the .CS FIle to this directory:
                (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\Indicator.

Additionally, these would be the steps for compiling:
                • Open NinjaTrader.
                • From the Control Center select the Tools> Edit NinjaScript> Indicator.
                • Select ANY indicator and press 'OK'.
                • A new window will appear and you will need to right click in the window and select Compile to compile the indicators.

Comment

"from the Control Center select the Tools> Edit NinjaScript> Indicator."

it does not have this feature

Comment

You indicated the indicator was not shown in the 'Edit NinjaScript' file picker. Therefore it is in the bin/Custom folder in .dll form. You can stop here because the indicator cannot be edited or converted to NT8. You need to contact the author to get a converted version.

Edit, I see your version of NT doesn't allow editing anyway. If you cannot find the indicator, using Windows Explorer, in the bin/Custom/Indicators folder and find the .dll versions in bin/Custom, the above applies.
                    Last edited by eDanny; 05-13-2019, 12:01 PM.
                    eDanny
                    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

Hello Gregory,
                      Are you by any chance using a free license key for NinjaTrader?
                      If so, then you may not access NinjaScript editing.
                      In this case, you may update your license by contacting [email protected], or ask the author of your indicator for assistance as eDanny correctly suggested.

Please let me know if we may help any further.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by techgetgame, Today, 11:42 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post techgetgame  
                      Started by sephichapdson, Today, 11:36 PM
                      0 responses
                      1 view