Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NT 7 End Of Day Daily Data How many symbols one can have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT 7 End Of Day Daily Data How many symbols one can have?

Background:
    I neither want to load symbols in Market Analyzer, nor do i want to run a back test.

What is Want
    I just want a database of large symbols, so, was curious to know, Is there any restrictions that NT7 can have? Like Metastock cant store about over 25,000 symbols in a single folder.

My raw data (Daily End of Day, it would be maximum for 90 to 135 days) would come from ASCII file format which i want to import in database and just plot the chart when i need to study a particular symbol, but i foresee that my database of symbols would keep expanding ...may be over 50,000 or perhaps over a 0.1Million symbols.

Seek Guidance if doable
    Is there any limitation or is it doable, since though number of symbols are infinite and would keep expanding , each symbol would not have data for over 60 to 120 (maximum, i envisage) days.

Later (after 12 months or so) i can think of archiving inactive symbols to separate folders.

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Instruments are stored as part of the database file. This is found on your PC via Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > db > "NinjaTrader.sdf" file. The maximum size is 256MB. There is unfortunately not a method to isolate and backup on parts of the database file at this time.

To prevent running into situations where you can potentially lose important data, we advise running regular backups via our inbuilt backup feature in NinjaTrader.
    Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
    Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_EricB View Post
      Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Instruments are stored as part of the database file. This is found on your PC via Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > db > "NinjaTrader.sdf" file. The maximum size is 256MB. There is unfortunately not a method to isolate and backup on parts of the database file at this time.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
      Thanks for quick feedback. Am I right in understanding that;
      NinjaTrader.sdf" file. The maximum size is 256MB stores SYMBOL values only, and hence actual data size does not matter which could be somewhere else on the PC?

Or
      All data put together (including symbols list) it should be less than 256MB overall?
      So, Number of symbol could be infinite so long as overall file (NinjaTrader.sdf") size is under 256MB?

Comment

Historical data and the database file are to completely separate things stored in separate locations. The amount of historical data stored locally would not be considered part of the database file, and would not affect the file size we're referring to here.

The database file consists of more than just symbols. It also contains ATM Strategy templates, Session templates, Instrument Lists / Custom Instruments, historical trade execution data, and saved Strategy Analyzer backtest results, Typically, the biggest contributor to database size is historical trade execution data.
        • All data put together (including symbols list) it should be less than 256MB overall?
        The database file itself can cause various symptoms once it's gets over 100mb. I would be surprised if NinjaTrader functioned at all once you reached into the hundreds of mb in size.
        • So, Number of symbol could be infinite so long as overall file (NinjaTrader.sdf") size is under 256MB?
        In general, yes. An over-sized database can cause many various symptoms. For reference, a brand new database file is about 10mb. As you start trading and doing other things in NinjaTrader, this file will inevitably grow in size.

Comment

Thanks for all precise explanation.

Comment

Thanks for all precise explanation

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by ursavent, Today, 12:54 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post ursavent