the time is a little off compare to other charting software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the time is a little off compare to other charting software

in NT the chart is a little bit late in drawing new candel in M5. All other charting from other software is at the right time, except NT is a little bit odd, so the candel doesnt look right, it is about 30sec - 1 min late in opening a new candle. Im using IB as data feed, the chart I see using IB's software is different than what I see in NT. What I see in IB is exactly the same as the others, such as esignal, MT4 etc.

Any idea how to fix it?

Strange. Try closing and reopening the chart. Maybe restart NT?
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

just tried reloading, restarting it, doesnt work? Any other idea?

I just counted it at M5 chart, it open/close about 25 second later, it happens to all the bars.

Comment

To confirm: Are you saying that you can see a chart in IB build a bar 25 seconds before you will see the same bar build in NT?
        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes, exactly. Or other way to say it, NT close/open bar about 23 - 26 second later than the chart I use on IB.

Comment

Could you please tell me if NinjaTrader and TWS are installed on the same computer.
            JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

The other charting software you're comparing to, are they sending time stamps with their data, or is the other charting software using your system clock.

I believe NT uses the system clock to time stamp bars, depending on which data feed you are using. This may be the discrepancy you're seeing.

Make sure your system click is in sync with the atomic clock on the net.
              mrlogik
              NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Purelogik Trading

Comment

Jason : Yes they are on same computer.

mrlogik : Yes, after careful looking of each time of each charting software, it seems you are right, NT uses my computer's time and others using the time on their system. I used the auto updating time of the Vista's computer, but still a little behind.

How would you update the system's time to match the atomic time or the time every charting software is using?

Thanks.

Update : I found the vista's set to update using "time.windows.com", there are other choices there, which one should I choose to get exact time?
                Last edited by MoreYummy; 09-04-2008, 04:38 PM. Reason: added more info

Comment

Your computers ability to keep track of time to the second depends on how accurate your CPU / Motherboard / Ram / etc combo work together, amongst other things.

You can change the time the other charting software is using as I'm sure they have their own way of doing it using bar time sent per price update. I recommend ....

I have my system clock automatically synchronize with "clock.isc.org" every 1 hour (rather than the default 24 hours). You can download a little app that was written in .NET to set this hourly update in your registry. You'll find it here.

Let me know.
                  mrlogik

Comment

Ok, in the vista's setting, I can not choose update every 1 hour, only every 2 months

I will try your link. Cant believe the computer can be off so many seconds.

How do you change NT to use IB's charting with their time-stamp, so it can avoid my computer calculate the wrong time?

Comment

There is not a way to change this. NinjaTrader charts always use the time stamp from your local PC.
                      JessicaNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have found with my computer, which I built with all quality parts, the time can be off approx .05 seconds per every 1 hour. Over the course of 24 hours it can swing from 1 to 2 seconds depending on the accuracy. Figure over 2 months it can add up.
                        mrlogik

Comment

You can manually sync your PC clock at anytime.

Also you will not miss data, it will just be stamped with a slightly different time stamp.
                          JessicaNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I don't think manually syncing the PC clock is applicable, or something you would want to do anyway. Over a day the amount of time the PC clock can be off is negligible; settings it to automatically update will suffice.
                            mrlogik

Comment

ok, i will stick with the updating of the system's clock then.

Is the software you provided, must be open at all time to have the clocked update every 1 hour?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by techgetgame, Yesterday, 11:42 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post techgetgame  
                              Started by sephichapdson, Yesterday, 11:36 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post sephichapdson