Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Import Date & Data To Plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Import Date & Data To Plot

Is there a way to import a list of dated values to plot on a Ninjatrader chart?

ScorpioTravis, yes you could import data points to a custom symbol for that for example - https://www.ninjatrader.com/support/.../importing.htm
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Bertrand, thank you for your reply. Can you help me think this through, please? The data to import has one "price" value for each date. I want to plot it as a secondary data series against a primary data series that is daily bars. Should I import the data as daily bars with four identical OHLC values, or import as tick data with the time the same as the daily bars?

Comment

Hello ScorpioTravis,

If the data is imported, you can add multiple dataseries to a chart.

So if you are adding tick data, you can put that on a chart, and then add a secondary series of 1 day.

Below is a link to the help guide on Working with Price Data. Please see the section 'How to add a Data Series'.
        Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I understand how to add a data series. My question is about formatting the data file (created from a spreadsheet).

Should I import the data as daily bars with four identical OHLC values, or import as tick data with the time the same as the daily bars (primary data series from data feed)?

Comment

Hi ScorpioTravis,

What kind of data are you importing?

If you are importing daily data then import this as daily data.

If you are importing tick data then import as tick data..

I do not quite understand the question.

If you have tick data, then I would not suggest you import it as daily data. If you have daily data I would not suggest importing this as tick data.

During the import, if you have tick data spanning over multiple days, you will have the option to generate daily bars from this tick data during the import.

Could you clarify what type of data you are trying to import?

Comment

It's not actually any type of price data retrieved from a regular NT data source. It's data I'm creating from a spreadsheet. For each data point there is a date and a value. I want to plot it as secondary data series on an a chart with primary data series of daily bars. So my question is should I format it as tick or daily data? If daily, I can simply make the OHLC values all identical for each date. But it's easier if it's in tick format with only one "tick" for each date.

Comment

Hello,

What do you want your secondary to be?

You say you want the primary to be daily, but you have not specified what type of data the secondary series is going to be.

Making an assumption my guess is you want a daily primary and a daily secondary. So import the data as daily I guess..

Comment

FYI - I successfully imported my "synthetic tick" DATA that I created in a spreadsheet. During import there's an option to convert to Daily. (What I'm importing is contango values for futures contracts.)

Because my new data is historical and there's no real symbol for it, if NT is connected it creates a E Invalid symbol error message. (If not connected it plots.) Is there anyway to avoid the message without disconnecting?

Comment

Hello ScorpioTravis,

Thank you for your response.

To avoid this message you would need to disable the load of historical data from the data provider server by going to Tools > Options > Data > disable 'Get Data From Server' > OK.

Unfortunately, there would not be any other way to avoid the message you are receiving as the instrument is truly invalid for the data feed providers server.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by rhyminkevin, Today, 04:58 PM
                    3 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Anfedport  
                    Started by iceman2018, Today, 05:07 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post iceman2018