Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to scale a histogram to show only interesting range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to scale a histogram to show only interesting range

If I plot a histogram that has values beween 85-100. Is it possible to have Ninjatrader automatically scale it so I only see 85-100? If it's not clear, 85 should be "almost" at the bottom (where zero would be) and 100 at the top. If a new value with 70 comes in then 70 would be the lowest value and at the bottom and 85 would be a little taller.

This makes it easier to see the subtle variations that occur when values are always in a narrow range.

Hello cunparis,

Unfortunately there is not a supported method to allow to specify the scale of your chart.

You might want to use the ConstantLines indicator which will allow you to set the upper/lower bounds of your chart and set this to autoscale = true. You can also set these lines to be 'transparent' so they do not interfere with the plot of your indicator.

There may be some unsupported approaches you can try. In a NinjaScript editor type, "this.ChartControl." to see some unsupported properties to use.
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
      Hello cunparis,

Unfortunately there is not a supported method to allow to specify the scale of your chart.

You might want to use the ConstantLines indicator which will allow you to set the upper/lower bounds of your chart and set this to autoscale = true. You can also set these lines to be 'transparent' so they do not interfere with the plot of your indicator.

There may be some unsupported approaches you can try. In a NinjaScript editor type, "this.ChartControl." to see some unsupported properties to use.
      I don't understand the constant lines. If I have a histogram with values from 85-100, what can I do with a constant line? I want to hide 0-85 of the histogram bars.

I hope that Ninjatrader will consider adding this in the future. Tradestation & MarketDelta both have it and it's very useful. Imagine using a histogram when all values were between 90-91. It'd be impossible to see the difference on the ninjatrader chart. Whereas on MD or TS it'd be very easy as it'd look like a histogram of 0-1.

Comment

Originally posted by cunparis View Post
        If I plot a histogram that has values beween 85-100. Is it possible to have Ninjatrader automatically scale it so I only see 85-100? If it's not clear, 85 should be "almost" at the bottom (where zero would be) and 100 at the top. If a new value with 70 comes in then 70 would be the lowest value and at the bottom and 85 would be a little taller.

This makes it easier to see the subtle variations that occur when values are always in a narrow range.
        You can switch to a fixed scale, by dragging/ctrl+dragging the scale axis to show only that which you wish to see.

Comment

Originally posted by koganam View Post
          You can switch to a fixed scale, by dragging/ctrl+dragging the scale axis to show only that which you wish to see.
          I think this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by cunparis View Post
            I think this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
            Now my day is made! I have managed to teach cunparis something.
            Last edited by koganam; 09-25-2011, 11:01 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by lightsun47, Today, 03:51 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post lightsun47  
            Started by 00nevest, Today, 02:27 PM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post 00nevest