Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Accessing indicator value from x bars ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accessing indicator value from x bars ago

Hi, this is probably a basic question, but I'm having a hard time incorporating previous bars into the logic. Here's what I want to do: Draw an arrow when the MACD value of bar 0 ago is .01 greater than the MACD value of bar 1 ago.

if (MACD(12, 26, 9)[0] - MACD(12, 26, 9)[1] > 0.01)
    {
    DrawArrowDown("My down arrow" + CurrentBar, false, 0, High[0] + 4 * TickSize, Color.Red);
    }

How can I reference the previous bars? It will compile, but the arrows will not plot. The arrow will plot if the bars ago are set to [0]...for example something like

if (MACD(12, 26, 9)[0] > 0.01)
    {
    DrawArrowDown("My down arrow" + CurrentBar, false, 0, High[0] + 4 * TickSize, Color.Red);
    }

Thanks

Originally posted by BishopM05 View Post
    Hi, this is probably a basic question, but I'm having a hard time incorporating previous bars into the logic. Here's what I want to do: Draw an arrow when the MACD value of bar 0 ago is .01 greater than the MACD value of bar 1 ago.

if (MACD(12, 26, 9)[0] - MACD(12, 26, 9)[1] > 0.01)
    {
    }

How can I reference the previous bars? It will compile, but the arrows will not plot. The arrow will plot if the bars ago are set to [0]...for example something like

if (MACD(12, 26, 9)[0] > 0.01)
    {
    }

Thanks
    Any messages in the log?

Comment

Yes, I'm getting the not enough bars error. However, the chart is displaying more than 5 bars...

"Error on calling 'OnBarUpdate' method for indicator 'MACDMarker' on bar 0: You are accessing an index with a value that is invalid since its out of range. I.E. accessing a series [barsAgo] with a value of 5 when there are only 4 bars on the chart."

Comment

It doesn't matter how many bars are on the chart, OnBarUpdate() is called for every bar on the chart. Your formula references the previous bars MACD value, and on the first bar there is no previous bar.

So in OnBarUpdate() before your code include a check for enough bars:
        if (CurrentBar < 1) return;

The number of bars to check for is not always the same, but for what you've posted 1 should be enough.

VT

Comment

Thanks for the explanation!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by futtrader, 04-21-2024, 01:50 AM
          4 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post futtrader  
          Started by Option Whisperer, Today, 09:55 AM