Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Pivot Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for the very detailed answer.

Unfortunately I use Zenfire (which has other advantages), so I have to continue entering the settlement prices manually, as I do every morning.

Since you had all the close and settlement prices for ES last week, would you tell me your source?

In my experience, it is not only a question of a tick or two. In the FDAX today for example there is a difference of 5.4 points (settlement 5722 vs. 5706), FGBL has a difference of 3 Ticks, FESX 3 ticks.

Now of course one can argue, that this is not so important. Well, it depends on the actual values. I quite often have really big differences, depending on the evening action (evening in Central Europe, afternoon session in the states), after the settlement price was set . If there's a lot of action in the american markets, the pivots based on settlement or actual close prices will of course differ. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

And I like to trade the FX Futures. In my opinion they generally run quite well to their pivot levels. So I need to have reliable pivots. And since this is an almost 24 hour market (the cash market is), you have to find a generally accepted close price. As I see it, this is the settlement price, calculated at 14:00 CT for FX Futures. If one would use the close at 16:00 CT, one would get data from a very low volume period, where small volume can lead to bigger changes and therefore lead to more or less "wrong" pivots.

But all of this is more a theoretical discussion and other traders can and may have another opinion of course. What counts in the end is what the majority does, since it is not very helpful to have ones own "little secret" values that nobody else has. In the end nobody will trade them.

Comment

The source for the settlement prices is the exchange where it is traded.

All other sources are secondary, not primary sources.

I agree with you on FDAX. EUREX closes at 10:00 PM, but my data provider adds the settlement prices between 10:05 PM and 10:10 PM. So all I needed to do is to extend the EUREX session, I use a session from 7:50 AM to 10:10 PM now, and it automatically catches the settlement price.

If you use NT7, there is another option. Export intraday data and reimport it as daily data. Then replace the relevant closes with the settlement manually. Once you are at this stage, you can add open, high, low and settlement manually every day. Takes a few minutes, but the pivot indicators of all your charts can then catch the settlement prices in DailyBars mode.

Originally posted by NinjaTurtle View Post

Since you had all the close and settlement prices for ES last week, would you tell me your source?

Comment

Harry,

In NT7 I'm finding that I can accidentally select a pivot line indicator line on the screen which "activates" all of the lines and then if I push another key it deletes the all the lines from the pivot indicator.

Is there a way to "lock" the indicator so I can't do that or do I just need to be more careful where I'm clicking on my chart?

With NT6.5, you can't grab the pivot lines on the screen by clicking on them..they seem locked, if that makes sense.

Todd

Comment

This is true for all NinjaTrader indicators. If you select them on the screen, you can delete them without opening the indicator dialogue. The best suggestion I can make is to save your chart settings as a chart template, so in case you accidentially delete any indicators you have the options

- to restore the chart template
          - or to re-add the indicator via indicator dialogue

I am not aware that there is a way to protect indicators against accidential deleting.

Originally posted by toddaclark View Post
          Harry,

In NT7 I'm finding that I can accidentally select a pivot line indicator line on the screen which "activates" all of the lines and then if I push another key it deletes the all the lines from the pivot indicator.

Is there a way to "lock" the indicator so I can't do that or do I just need to be more careful where I'm clicking on my chart?

With NT6.5, you can't grab the pivot lines on the screen by clicking on them..they seem locked, if that makes sense.

Todd

Comment

Would you agree that this is a new thing in NT7 or am I just imagining that?

Todd

Comment

Selectable items is a new thing in NT7. If you do not want this you can bring up the Chart Properties and then set the "Allow selection..." parameter to false.
              Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, Josh

You are very responsive and I appreciate it.

Todd

Comment

Pivot Problem

Gentlemen,

I'm having a problem with the following strategy:

protected override void Initialize()
                  {
                  Add(ImperialDragon(NinjaTrader.Data.PivotRange.Dai ly, NinjaTrader.Data.HLCCalculationMode.UserDefinedVal ues, 20));

CalculateOnBarClose = false;
                  }

/// <summary>
                  /// Called on each bar update event (incoming tick)
                  /// </summary>
                  protected override void OnBarUpdate()
                  {

// Condition set 1
                  if (CrossAbove(GetCurrentAsk(), ImperialDragon(PivotRange.Daily, HLCCalculationMode.UserDefinedValues, 20).PP, 1))

EnterLong(2, "Going Long");
                  ExitLongLimit(ImperialDragon(PivotRange.Daily, HLCCalculationMode.UserDefinedValues, 20).TS11[0], "", "");

// Condition set 2
                  if (CrossAbove(GetCurrentAsk(), ImperialDragon(PivotRange.Daily, HLCCalculationMode.UserDefinedValues, 20).TS11, 1))

EnterLong(2, "GOING LONG");
                  ExitLongLimit(ImperialDragon(PivotRange.Daily, HLCCalculationMode.UserDefinedValues, 20).M6[0], "EXIT W/PROFIT", "");

Every time I initiate this strategy, I receive the following error message:

"Error on Calling 'OnBarUpdate' method for strategy 'DragonTrader': Limit price must not be 0.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? All my variables are defined, and I've rechecked the calculations and everything appears to be correct.

Comment

A question about fixing a NT6.5 glitch - using the CMI6.5 pivot indicator

Harry,

Is it possible to programmatically tell NT to truncate the range bar or SBS renko bar at the end of the trading session so it will record a "prior day close" accurately - or almost identical to what I would see on a minute chart using "calc from intraday data"?

I know that NT changed something in NT7 to truncate the last bar so the pivots are accurate even with a range or renko chart. But since I'm guessing that they won't be willing to make any more changes to NT 6.5 is it possible to do that same thing within the CMI pivot indicator for NT6.5- programmatically?

I did load NT7 this weekend but I'm not yet comfortable trading live with it.

I'm probably just grasping at straws with this request but it would really help me since I spend about 15 minutes every morning manually entering prior day H,L,C values in my various range and renko bar charts.

Please let me know..
                    Thanks,
                    Todd
                    Last edited by toddaclark; 05-16-2010, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Hi Todd,

I am sorry that the answer is no. As NT 6.5 does not truncate the bar - as NT7 does - the close to calculate the pivots is simply not included with the intraday data of the data base, and the indicator cannot invent a suitable close.

So you have to enter 'em manually, if you want 'em accurate. Or switch to NT7, which is pretty stable by now. Can't help you here.

Comment

Thanks, Harry...

Can't blame me for asking

Do you really think that NT7 is pretty stable now? I've been trying to get a sense of that from various NT7 users over this past weekend. As you might guess, the response I've gotten has been "mixed".

But NT Josh told me that they were dedicating all of their resources currently to getting the program stable so that gave me considerable pause.

What is your thoughts on NT7's current stability?

Todd

Comment

Hi Todd,

I do not have a 64-bit environment and I am not a software developper, so I can only give you an incomplete answer. From my limited experience, there is still a considerable number of unresolved issues, but nevertheless I prefer NT 7 to NT 6.5, because the advantages outweigh the inconveniences.

Thanks, Harry...

Can't blame me for asking

Do you really think that NT7 is pretty stable now? I've been trying to get a sense of that from various NT7 users over this past weekend. As you might guess, the response I've gotten has been "mixed".

But NT Josh told me that they were dedicating all of their resources currently to getting the program stable so that gave me considerable pause.

What is your thoughts on NT7's current stability?

Todd

Comment

Getting ES to show price action during ETH but calc the RTH pivot (4pm close)

Harry,

The pivot indicator that I've loaded for NT7 shows up in my indicator list as "anaPivotsDailyV16". Please confirm that this is the latest version for NT7.

I've got an ES chart open with the pivot indicator loaded. I want the pivots to calculate based on RTH 9:30am to 4:00pm EST but I want to be able to see the price move outside of those hours. Is that possible?

In NT6.5, I would accomplish this by using a chart properties start time of 4:30pm EST start time and a 4:00pm EST stop time. I would then have the pivot calculate the session as 9:30am EST to 4:00pm EST.

But I don't know how to accomplish the same thing in NT7.

The anaPivotsDailyV16 indicator doesn't have any inputs for session start and stop time. I'm assuming that it's pulling the session time from the data series area but I don't know that for sure.

Please help.
                            Thanks,
                            Todd
                            Last edited by toddaclark; 05-16-2010, 04:56 PM.

Comment

The pivot indicator that I've loaded for NT7 shows up in my indicator list as "anaPivotsDailyV16". Please confirm that this is the latest version for NT7.
                              Todd
                              Correct.

I've got an ES chart open with the pivot indicator loaded. I want the pivots to calculate based on RTH 9:30am to 4:00pm EST but I want to be able to see the price move outside of those hours. Is that possible?
                              Can be done by modifying end times of Session Template CME US Index Futures ETH from 3:15 PM to 3:00 PM (Central Time) and set indicator to CalcFromIntradayData and Session Length to 6:30. You will not have data for the 15 minutes after the session close. You could also modify the start times, but there are other inconveniences. The cleanest solution is available with the next release of the indicator V20. I will send you a private message.

In NT6.5, I would accomplish this by using a chart properties start time of 4:30pm EST start time and a 4:00pm EST stop time. I would then have the pivot calculate the session as 9:30am EST to 4:00pm EST. But I don't know how to accomplish the same thing in NT7.
                              Use modified session template as explained above.

The anaPivotsDailyV16 indicator doesn't have any inputs for session start and stop time. I'm assuming that it's pulling the session time from the data series area but I don't know that for sure.
                              Correct, it pulls the information from the session manager, as the session manager stores the information in exchange time and then converts it as needed to the local time of your PC (taking into account issues like DST, which can be handled by .NET 3.5).

Comment

Harry...

Thanks for your reply... you are awesome!

Let me clarify something..
                                I've got 2 ES charts

ES Chart #1
                                I use the standard ETH template - a globex chart 4:15pm closes every day and 4:30pm opens every day. Simple... no problem.

ES Chart 2 - my 4pm close chart
                                Ideally, I'd like to see price action on this chart starting at 4:30pm EST and running up to 4:00pm from Sunday night thru Friday. I would also take the price action visible from 4:00pm to 4:15pm but that's probably not possible and it's not really important. I'm assuming that the easiest way to work this chart pivot indicator is to create a custom session manager template with ETH start times with 4pm stop times for each day. For that to happen, I would need the pivot indicator to give me an option to use the Data Series session or pick a different one from a drop down menu. At least that is what makes sense to me.

Having the custom session template would keep me from messing up the normal ETH template which I need for ES Chart #1.

Does that make sense? Would you agree?
                                Last edited by toddaclark; 05-16-2010, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by lightsun47, Today, 03:51 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post lightsun47  
                                Started by 00nevest, Today, 02:27 PM
                                1 response
                                0 likes
                                Last Post 00nevest