Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Cannot extend DrawObjects.Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot extend DrawObjects.Line

Hello,

I'm trying to create a new class to extend the DrawObjects.Line class using inheritance. Here's the code for the extended class:

Code:
    		public enum TrendlineType {
    			PrimaryTrend,
    			PrimaryChannel,
    			SecondaryTrend,
    			SecondaryChannel,
    			CounterTrend,
    			CounterChannel
    		}

public class Trendline : NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.DrawingTools.Line
    	    {
    	        public Trendline() : base()
    	        {

}
    			public TrendlineType Type() 
    			{
    				return TrendlineType.PrimaryTrend;
    			}

}
    However, when I try and cast an object of type DrawingObjects.Line, I get the error:

Unable to cast object of type 'NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.DrawingTools.Line' to type 'Trendline'.

Code:
    				NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.DrawingTools.Line objLine = objTool as DrawingTools.Line;

Trendline objTrendline = (Trendline)new DrawingTools.Line(); // This raises a casting error
    Please let me know if you have any ideas. A full indicator that illustrates the problem is attached. Place the indicator on a chart that has at least one manually drawn trendline, and the error can be seen in the NinjaScript Output window.

Thank you,

Ryan
    Attached Files

Hello gripload, and thank you for your questions.

Generally the best way to resolve this scenario, where you would like to downcast a NinjaTrader Line into a TrendLine, is with a static factory method in your TrendLine class with the signature

Code:
    [FONT=Courier New]public static Trendline newFromLine(NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.DrawingTools.Line line)
    [/FONT]
    You could also simply take in a line as a constructor to a Trendline; there are many ways to implement this. One way or the other, though, you will have to tell C# exactly how to turn a Line into a more specific kind of Line.

I am including a publicly available link to a Stack Overflow discussion on this topic. Please let us know if there are any other ways we can help.

I am new to C# (and OOP). When I have some code like the following: class Employee { // some code } class Manager : Employee { //some code } Question 1: If I have other code that does th...
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by JoMoon2024, Today, 06:56 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post JoMoon2024  
    Started by Haiasi, 04-25-2024, 06:53 PM
    2 responses
    0 likes