Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Documentation of NT classes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Documentation of NT classes

Hello,

Sorry if this is obvious but I haven't found. Is there a place in the editor or the online manual where are described all NT classes ? For example, I have seen in 1 example script using GDI+ the use of ChartOnly :

Code:
    IndicatorBase.ChartOnly = true
    But where is defined the IndicatorBase class ? And what is the meaning of ChartOnly ? Because there is not reference to ChartOnly in the online manual.

Thanks.

Hello FPA75,

That is because these are not support classes and methods with NinjaTrader and don't have documentation available. The Intellisense might be able to give a more descriptive answer for this.
    Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

But it seems intellisense gives no information for ChartOnly...

Comment

Hello fpa75,

If there is no intellisense, this is usually an indication that it is an internal method and wouldn't have access to it.
        Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Then the indicators given as examples in the documentation for custom drawing cannot be fully understood. For example, the CustomPlotSample indicator contains :

PHP Code:
          protected override void Initialize()
          {

ChartOnly            true;

No intellisense, nothing in the documentation, and no answer from the support for this line ?!!! Very strange...

Comment

Hello fpa75,

It does come up inside of Intellisense but it does not have a description of this property since it is not supported.

Setting this property to true just means the indicator will be for visualization only so that you cannot programmatically access its values in other scripts.

JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ok. Now I understand what it means. Thanks.

A last thing. I see very often in the forum "this is unsupported feature / code /.… or undocumented". I am currently trading on another platform where every piece of the language is usually well documented, and usually the support gives good answer, for the keyword or even for the piece of code where we are stuck. When I open the .Net DLL of NT with Visual Studio, one can see many classes / properties / methods which are not in the documentation. This is a little bit strange, as if everything was in our hands, but almost impossible to use, because not documented. For example, I remember in this forum having read a post about a method to close all positions (for every strategies, every chart, …) with the use of a undocumented method. Is this a deliberate choice ? Why don't you produce an exhaustive documentation ?…

Regards.

Comment

Hello fpa75,

This is to try to keep our pricing low among other reason depending on the specific function. We are always glad to try to assist anyone if they have any questions but there are too many variables depending on the code which can make debugging difficult and time consuming especially with using the .NET Framework. So we try to keep a good balance with this in perspective.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Comment

I also tried the documentation without hope ...
                  but this means that to make difficult programs we must give it to outside programmers with payment?

I'm okay to pay to have the complete programming manual

Comment

Hello turbofib,

We do not have any documentation that outside programmers or certified NinjaScript Consultants can view that you cannot already for NinjaTrader 7. Our Help Guide and Support forum is the only resource besides time and experience which is what you are paying for basically.

With that said, expanding our Supported methods in our next major release of NinjaTrader is something that our Development team is considering.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by rocketman7, Today, 09:41 AM
                    3 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                    Started by traderqz, Today, 09:44 AM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes