Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NinjaTrader Documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NinjaTrader Documentation

Hello,

Two years on since I started using NinjaTrader and I am still struggling with basic concepts such as "documentation" and expressions such as "this is not documented" or "this is not supported".

What does the so called "NinjaTrader documentation" include? Are you referring only to the NinjaTrader Help Guide only? Or are there additional resources available for prospective programmers to look into?

I am asking this because, to use just one example, when I was browsing through the code of one of the standard indicators (PriorDayOHLC) I came along the following line:

Bars.BarsType.IsIntraday

But when I checked the Bars section in NinjaScript/Language Reference/Data section of the Help Guide there was nothing related to BarsType and/or IsIntraday.

I would like to improve my programming skills (by using lines like the one above) but I am limited by an apparent availability of resources to do that. What would you suggest I should do?

Thank you for your help,

Stopped

Stopped, for NinjaScript we can support what we officially documents through our help-guide reference for NinjaScript and what we post in the Tips / Reference Samples section here on the forum :

Any additional methods and properties (like for example the ChartControls) that you see being used you could play with and see hints being shared here on the forums, but ultimately it would be up to you to make them work for you.

Another important consideration : for the supported methods we document code breaking changes that would impact our user-base going forward, as a courtesy we also included some more popular unsupported methods as we moved to supporting NT7 :

Contains critical information including but not limited to migration, installation, connections and changes.

The property you found would return a true when dealing with intra-day bars series and false on any other series.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ok, many thanks Bertrand, it now makes sense to me.

Just out of curiosity, why is it that you do not provide support for many methods and properties which are inherent to the NinjaScript code - like the example I gave you with the IsIntraday property? Is it a decision based on limited resources and/or high costs (i.e. it would take a huge effort by the NT team to put that together all those resources into the official Help Guide)? Or is it something less obvious than that? Or put it another way: Do you know if you plan to expand your Help Guide in the future to include this or other methods/properties?

Many thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Stopped View Post
        Ok, many thanks Bertrand, it now makes sense to me.

Just out of curiosity, why is it that you do not provide support for many methods and properties which are inherent to the NinjaScript code - like the example I gave you with the IsIntraday property? Is it a decision based on limited resources and/or high costs (i.e. it would take a huge effort by the NT team to put that together all those resources into the official Help Guide)? Or is it something less obvious than that? Or put it another way: Do you know if you plan to expand your Help Guide in the future to include this or other methods/properties?

Many thanks again.

Comment

Hi Stopped, yes we're always looking to expand our coverage and educational materials based mostly on the feedback from users received - however for the supported / 'official' NinjaScript a lot of consideration is given to maintain a high degree of compatibility for the existing code base, for example as we moved to NT7 over 80% of the scripts from 6.5 were imported and compiling well on this new version and only some needed a few minor code changes to function.
          BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Balage0922, Today, 07:38 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Balage0922  
          Started by JoMoon2024, Today, 06:56 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes