Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strategies disappear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategies disappear

Guys-

I have run into this problem more times than I can remember, and I'd like to know what's going on:

Strategies, in the strategies tab, can regularly disappear (be overwritten? Erased? who knows).

Recently, I removed all of my strategies and saved the workspace as "EmptyStrategy" workspace. I did this to get around another limitation of NinjaTrader, which is that you need to remove strategies from the strategy tab in order to remove associated executions.

After doing this (removing my strategies and removing my executions), I exited NT, saving my "Empty Strategy" workspace.

When I re-loaded NT, I proceeded to load up my original workspace with all my strategies and - guess what - they're all gone. I went to load up my backup workspace (I always make backups because this is not an infrequent occurance) and THEY were all gone as well (even though the file never indicated that it was changed, etc).

I cannot find my strategies anywhere. They are literally gone. Right now, I'm praying that they're still in the backup I created Saturday night, but right now I fear everything is gone.

Guys, why do strategies disappear from the strategies tab?

Addendum

I tried to open my Workspace xml files, figuring that the parameters I had saved in my strategies were in there - nope.

Where are parameters and strategies kept that associated with workspaces (as in, what file)? There has to be a way to recover this stuff.

Comment

Hi cgeorgan,

Strategies on the control center are not saved as part of a workspace. Strategies are included in workspaces only if applied to a chart as part of the workspace.

The strategy items in the control center are loaded from the database, although if you removed the strategies from the control center manually then they're likely gone.
      Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

More addendum

As I look back, I can see that this has been brought up several times. Strategies disappear for various reasons, and in all of these threads (my own inquiries included), I haven't found a single satisfactory explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanM View Post
          Hi cgeorgan,

Strategies on the control center are not saved as part of a workspace. Strategies are included in workspaces only if applied to a chart as part of the workspace.

The strategy items in the control center are loaded from the database, although if you removed the strategies from the control center manually then they're likely gone.
          What does that mean - "gone"? Where the F are strategies saved? What's the point in backing up workspaces - I'm not interested in the positions of windows, that can be fixed an 2 minutes. I'm interested in saving my strategies.

There absolutely has to be a way to recover strategies. If there isn't, I'm going to blow a f'ing gasket here.

Comment

I understand your frustration here and that setting up your strategies again may take some time. Strategies in the control center are not saved as part of a workspace. If your backup contains a database file, you can restore this backup and should see your strategies again.

In this case, your strategies did not disappear. You manually removed them from your control center, and since this is not connected to workspaces in any way, there is possibility that they will have to be setup again.
            Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanM View Post
              Hi cgeorgan,

OK, this is all I needed to know for the future. I do in fact back up my work weekly, and I thought I was saving strategies by saving workspaces.

Now that I know that workspaces are part of the database, I will simply back that up more often.

Comment

This exact same thing happens in Ninjatrader 8 - you attach strategies to multiple charts, each with their own unique settings and when the system becomes unstable and freezes (which it does randomly) - you then loose all your attached strategies!

I never removed them manually from the "Strategies" tab, Ninjatrader just removes them itself - what an absolutely painful, waste of time experience, you just never know when ninjatrader will crash and you have to start all over again, manually loading each and every strategy, modifying each and every setting......it's really pathetic and takes my 2 hours to get them all back to how they were.

Why are we not able to save the strategy that is attached to the chart as part of a template? You can save an indicator as part of a template, why not a stratyegy???

This needs to be resolved, you cannot have such a flaw in the system and let that continue - some people actually have a professional business and rely on these strategies to be left where they are put.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

I have submitted including strategies as part of a chart template as a feature request to the Development Team. I will follow up with an internal tracking number for your reference as soon as it is created.

Thanks in advance for your patience.
                  Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your patience.

The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-1911. Please reference this internal tracking number if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find it in the release notes:

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Marco View Post
                      Hello,

Thanks for your patience.

The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-1911. Please reference this internal tracking number if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

I am trying to find if there is any solution to this matter but I could not see anything about this in the notes. I have been facing the same problem many times. Is it any solution implemented already?

Thanks!

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

This has not been implemented at this time.

http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...ease_notes.htm

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
                        5 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Bidder
                        by Bidder

Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM
                        4 responses