Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Multiple Strategies (et. al)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Strategies (et. al)

I keep reading through all of the historical messages on Multiple Strategies on one instrument and remained confused. Sorry for my ignorance.

If I have Strategy A that buys (1) contract on 8:00am, looking for a 20 point gain and then at 10:00am, my SHORT strategy B criteria is met but my LONG entry has only 15 points in unrealized gain.

Will the SHORT strategy activate and stop my Long strategy for 15 points?

OR, will (can) my short strategy ACTIVATE, looking for its own 1 point gain while my long strategy is still active until the targeted 20 points are gained?

If the Long strategy does indeed get stopped, will it RE-activate on its own if the short strategy meets its target and the former long strategy has still not met its targets or stops?

Thank you for insight. I don't want to assume something before going live.

CRCatNinja,

I ran into a similar issue with multiple strategies testing this past week.

I look forward to NT's response.

RJay
    RJay
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Innovative Trading Solutions

Comment

When you refer to a short and long strategy, I am going to assume that you mean two separate instances of a strategy, one that goes long and and another that goes short. Meaning, not a single strategy that can enter both long and short.

If my assumption is correct, then the short answer is...

Strategies run indpendant of one another meaning, each is unique in its own right and will not influence any others. So, your "Long" strategy will run the same and generate the same signals indpendant if your "Short" strategy is running or not.
      RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you Ray,

Yes, your assumption is correct with respect to what I was trying to understand. So, what I hear you saying is that in reality, on my brokerage transactions, I could be long an instrument and short the same instrument at the same time.

So, my 4 hour bar, long strategy, could have a target of 100 points and a stop loss of 100 points and "be successful" while my 5 minute bar, short strategy, could have a target of 5 points and a stop loss of 5 points and also have "successful" trades during the same overall time frame.

So, SIGNAL A can NOT activate both a long entry and a short entry at the same time. BUT,
        SIGNAL A on STRATEGY A can activate a LONG Entry while
        SIGNAL B on STRATEGY B can activate a SHORT Entry at or during similar time frames.

Comment

That is correct.
          Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Just to add to NTJosh's response ...

If you put signal A (long only) and signal B (short only) in the same strategy, then when your are long (signal A activated) and signal B triggers a short, the strategy will close out your signal A long and enter a new signal B short thereby giving you a net short position.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by poplagelu, Today, 05:00 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post poplagelu  
            Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
            5 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Bidder