Super Trend For Ninja Trader Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ausstone,

We never said this strategy was profitable...
    No, in all seriousness, the Supertrend Demo strategy that you are backtesting was just for let's say "educational use" . In my experience a strategy which only uses the supertrend indicator will never be profitable in the long run.
    You'll have to add signal filters to this strategy; like for example only execute long signal from supertrend if EMA200 is rising or something like that.
    Before you ask me what filtering I use, I have to confess that I haven't been able to find a good filtering method that makes supertrend profitable.

Maybe some other forum members have some ideas on how to make the supertrend strategy profitable with additional filtering..

Marco

Comment

Ausstone,

I haven't had much success with the TF either. I tried to use NinjaTrader's Optimizer, but still show pretty disappointing results. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Randy

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply guys! I've just been searching around and testing every strategy known to man. Does anyone have any good referrals for ninja trader?

Comment

Supertrend strategy is used by jaguar autotrader and bluewave trading...both commercial systems. They both use manual intervention with autotarder on another open chart of the same instrument. Supertredn strategy by itself is not profitable.
          However, MACDBB set to higher periods like 20, 100 is good to filer out supertredn signals.

Comment

Originally posted by woodies View Post
            Supertrend strategy is used by jaguar autotrader and bluewave trading...both commercial systems. They both use manual intervention with autotarder on another open chart of the same instrument. Supertrend strategy by itself is not profitable.
            However, MACDBB set to higher periods like 20, 100 is good to filer out supertredn signals.
            Now that someone brings up Bluewave:
            I purchased Bluewave about a year ago, and I was baffled that it is nothing more than a plain supertrend strategy without any additional filtering. Absolutely not worth the $4000,- or so ! And if I complain that the strategy isn't profitable, all they come up with is "only run it when the market is favourable". In my opinion a good strategy should run 24/7 and still be profitable. this was NOT worth my money ! Also the fact that they don't offer a free trail is because they don't want you to find out the strategy isn't profitable before you make the purchase....
            The fact that they use manual intervention is proof that their strategy running stand-alone will not be profitable.

What have I learnt from this experience : Supertrend without additional filtering is NOT profitable.
            Last edited by marcow; 09-04-2011, 03:09 PM.

Comment

I uploaded the SuperTrend Strategy but it doesn't produce any signals. Are there some parameters that need to be set for it to run? Thanks.

Comment

Jerry,

So you imported (file/utilities/import ninjascript) the strategy SuperTrend Demo.zip from post#346 without errors, you placed the strategy on a chart with enough historical bars for the supertrend indicator to work, you enabled the strategy and still you don't see any trades ?

What instrument are you using ? Maybe it doesn't have enough volatility for the supertrend indicator to create signals. Please verify it also doesn't work on for example ES, CL, YM, or FDAX. Is the supertrend indicator visible on the chart or panel below ?
                Does the supertrend indicator in the chart visualize long/short signals ?

I just tested the strategy on a 5 min ES chart with the default settings (2.3/42/200/20) and it works fine. So no, there are no special parameters you need to set for it to run.

Marco

Comment

Originally posted by marcow View Post
                  In my opinion a good strategy should run 24/7 and still be profitable.

How is that even conceivable?

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
                    How is that even conceivable?
                    I meant that a properly written strategy - with good filtering for choppy/sideways market and money management - should be able to run 24 hours a day without human intervention without making to much drawdown. Of course there will be some days with loss, but in the long term it should be profitable. This was definitely not the case with the commercial strategy I mentioned above...

And now back to the thread topic of supertrend...

Marco
                    Last edited by marcow; 09-09-2011, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I was looking for a strategy which executes based on SuperTrend.

Comment

Marco, how do you accelerate the signals w/your supertrend? what parameters would you change?

I have and older version of supertrend (for NT 6.5) and yesterday (around 14:58 EST) I got a sell signal in the ES at 1209 while with your supertrend I got the same sell (around 15:48 EST) signal at 1205, 4 pts later.

Thanks for your help...Alan

Comment

Alan,

Marco, how do you accelerate the signals w/your supertrend? what parameters would you change?
                          first of all, it's not my SuperTrend, credits go to all the contributors at the beginning of this thread.....;

What SuperTrend for NT6.5 are you referring to ? Is it SuperTrend.cs ?
                          If you compare SuperTrend and TSSuperTrend, you will find that TSSuperTrend (the version posted in post #346) has an additional setting for MovingAverageType in the indicator parameters. That's probably why you see a difference between these 2 versions.

I recommend you to test the different MovingAverageType settings, and look for a match with the older SuperTrend.
                          To make TSSSuperTrend switch faster, lower the Multiplier setting in the indicator parameters.

Marco

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I changed the multiplier to a very low number but still doesn't get any closer to my old supertrend.

any other suggestions?

thanks

Comment

did you also check the behaviour with the different types of MovingAverageType, like HMA,SMA,EMA ? because these will have a great impact on the switching of TSSupertrend.

I'm not sure, but it is possible that there are core-logic code differences between the old and new supertrend, which could also explain these differences...

Marco

Comment

Calling ST from an other indie

Hi all, i been trying to call the supertrend from a script:

double ST = SuperTrend_Regular(Close, 50, 7)[0];

ST1.Set(ST);

but seems i only get "half" of the indicator, the UP trend part,whats the way to properly call this indi?

Click image for larger version

Name:	calling_supetrend.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	864478

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by futtrader, 04-21-2024, 01:50 AM
                                4 responses
                                0 likes