NT 8 v11 still not saving horozontal lines when saving a new workspace name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT 8 v11 still not saving horozontal lines when saving a new workspace name

Hi, reported this versions ago, it still persists.

Had one workspace setup and named, built from scratch.

Wanted to make some changes to test something out without loosing workspace 1, so went "save as" and saved a new workspace name.

On restart of NT8v11, the new workspace is missing all the horizontal lines that were on workspace 1.

If I then open up workspace 1 again, all the horizontal lines are still on worspace 1, check the new workspace, and they are all missing.

Hello TyJack,

Thanks for your post.

Regarding the previous report, do you have a tracking number I can look into? If not can you provide a rough date, post or the beta version when you reported?

Regarding the issue today in beta 11, I'm trying to replicate but I think I may be missing something. Here is what I've tried.

1) Removed all workspaces then started NT8
    2) Created 1 chart, added lines, gann fann, other draw objects inc Horizontal lines
    3) Saved workspace
    4) Saved workspace save as and named it
    5) Switch back and forth from original to new workspace, all objects remained.
    6) Connected to live data, all objects remained.
    7) restarted NT8, all objects remained.

I am wondering if it is possible that you may have skipped step3?

Were any of the draw objects global?

Can you recreate the circumstances again?
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Paul View Post
      Hello TyJack,

Thanks for your post.

Regarding the previous report, do you have a tracking number I can look into? If not can you provide a rough date, post or the beta version when you reported?

Regarding the issue today in beta 11, I'm trying to replicate but I think I may be missing something. Here is what I've tried.

1) Removed all workspaces then started NT8
      2) Created 1 chart, added lines, gann fann, other draw objects inc Horizontal lines
      3) Saved workspace
      4) Saved workspace save as and named it
      5) Switch back and forth from original to new workspace, all objects remained.
      6) Connected to live data, all objects remained.
      7) restarted NT8, all objects remained.

I am wondering if it is possible that you may have skipped step3?

Were any of the draw objects global?

Can you recreate the circumstances again?

They were all global horizontal lines. The ONLY things that did not save onto the new workspace were the global horizontal lines.

I wouldn't have a clue when I first reported. v8 maybe, but I have also reported it each version since then. Pretty sure I was even told it had been replicated each time and it would be fixed each version.

Try "crashing" (end task) nt8 after you saved new name and closed the 1st workspace.

Other then that, I don't know what else.

Comment

Hello TyJack,

Thanks for your reply.

I will investigate this further and update when we have more information. Thanks for your patience and effort to report.

Comment

Hello TyJack,

Would like to confirm that you have enabled global lines across workspaces. This setting is found in Tools>Options, General Category and in the properties listed as "Global Drawing Objects across workspaces". If it is enabled then there will be a check mark there.

Comment

Hello TyJack,

Would like to confirm that you have enabled global lines across workspaces. This setting is found in Tools>Options, General Category and in the properties listed as "Global Drawing Objects across workspaces". If it is enabled then there will be a check mark there.
            Seems to work now.

But why is this even a option? It seems like a doubling up of processes for the user to line up so things work. The horizontal line has the option to show globally. Why does it also then require a 2nd tick box to be checked? Shouldn't this be a inherent process that is automatically used whenever the user chooses the "all charts" function?

If anything, what would be super useful is to be able to turn off globally set up drawing tools "all charts" function so that they didn't show on individual charts but continue to be shown on all other charts of that instrument.

Why the extra step for global drawn objects?

Comment

Hello TyJack,

Thanks for your reply.

Glad that the reported issue, "NT 8 v11 still not saving horozontal lines when saving a new workspace name" is resolved by enabling the "Global Drawing Objects across workspaces" in Tools>options - General.

While it is an extra step to enable global lines across all workspaces, it is a platform set-up step that you would only need to do once if this was an option you wanted like the other options listed in Tools>options.

Regarding your suggestion of, "If anything, what would be super useful is to be able to turn off globally set up drawing tools "all charts" function so that they didn't show on individual charts but continue to be shown on all other charts of that instrument." Not entirely sure I understand what you are suggesting. You can turn off global objects on a per chart basis through the dataseries window, selection checkbox "Show global draw objects". If this does not meet your needs or if you have further ideas, please let us know and I would be glad to write up a feature request.

Comment

Hello TyJack,

Thanks for your reply.

Glad that the reported issue, "NT 8 v11 still not saving horozontal lines when saving a new workspace name" is resolved by enabling the "Global Drawing Objects across workspaces" in Tools>options - General.

While it is an extra step to enable global lines across all workspaces, it is a platform set-up step that you would only need to do once if this was an option you wanted like the other options listed in Tools>options.

Regarding your suggestion of, "If anything, what would be super useful is to be able to turn off globally set up drawing tools "all charts" function so that they didn't show on individual charts but continue to be shown on all other charts of that instrument." Not entirely sure I understand what you are suggesting. You can turn off global objects on a per chart basis through the dataseries window, selection checkbox "Show global draw objects". If this does not meet your needs or if you have further ideas, please let us know and I would be glad to write up a feature request.

Sorry, I'm not explaining the issue correctly.

Lets say I set up workspace A with a specific layout. Workspace A has certain horizontal lines on it that are needed to be shown globally across all charts of the same instrument in workspace A. If I click on the horizontal line that is drawn on the chart and go - Properties - General - Attach to - "All Charts", this horizontal line will then become visible across all charts of that instrument in Workspace A. (Life is good and everything is right in the world.)

But I also have a 2nd workspace that I set up, workspace B, same instrument as the 1st workspace. But on workspace B its setup for a different purpose but also has horizontal lines that need to be plotted globally across workspace B. If I click on the horizontal line that is drawn on the chart and go - Properties - General - Attach to - "All Charts", this horizontal line will then become visible across all charts of that instrument in Workspace B. (Life is good and everything is right in the world.)

Workspace B horizontal lines are different then the ones on workspace A.

BUT

If I then make a copy of Workspace A using the "save as" function and save this new workspace as Workspace F. Workspace F has been saved and on the screen are seen all the horizontal lines that were originally setup on Workspace A. Changes are made to this clone workspace as the day goes on to test some things out.

I then shut down NT8 for the day and start it up the next.

I open up Workspace F and suddenly find that ALL the horizontal lines that had first been applied to Workspace A are NO LONGER on the clone Workspace F.

So, then we go to the "fix".

Options - General - Preferences - Global drawing objects across ALL workspaces.

Great, Workspace F is now showing all the horizontal lines that had the "all charts" function from Workspace A - just as a clone save (save as) of Workspace A should.

Now the crux of the problem.

Because Options - General - Preferences - Global drawing objects across ALL workspaces function has been enabled, not only is Workspace F now showing all the horizontal lines from Workspace A, but Workspace F is ALSO now showing all the completely separate horizontal lines that were used on Workspace B. But it gets better, because now :

Workspace F shows every "all charts" function that was applied separately to Workspace A and Workspace B.

Workspace A shows every "all charts" function that was applied separately to Workspace B and Workspace F.

Workspace B shows every "all charts" function that was applied separately to Workspace F and Workspace A.

This could all be fixed if the "save as" function actually did what it says on the tin. Save a direct clone of the workspace separately and in its entirety under a different name and the new workspace can then be used as the basis to build off in another directing while still maintaining the original in its original and separate state.

This would ensure that different workspaces were not cross contaminated by ALL other workspaces because of having to resort to the "Global drawing objects across ALL workspaces" function as stop gap "fix".

And the, Options - General - Preferences - Global drawing objects across ALL workspaces function could be preserved for use when ALL horizontal lines with the "all charts" function from ALL workspaces are needed on EVERY workspace at the same time.

The "save as" function should generate an exact clone in its entirety of the original workspace BUT be completely separate from the original.

Is the issue clear?

Sorry I didn't explain it in as much detail the first time, currently have a broken arm and its extremely difficult to type.

Comment

Hello TyJack,

Thanks for your reply.

Appreciate the effort to clarify and hope you heal quickly.

I believe I have a much better understanding. You do not want to have global lines crossing workspaces and you do want to copy workspaces that contain global lines of that workspace but the reality is that the copied workspaces are not copying the global lines correctly.

I will work on this and update this thread when i have further information.

Comment

Hello TyJack,

What appears to be happening is that global lines are not saved until the workspaces is saved first. Doing a save as without saving first will cause the issue of inconsistent line.

You can test the consistency by:

1) Create workspace and chart with global lines, save workspace.
                    2) Copy 1st workspace with save as, make changes as needed and save workspace.
                    3) Copy 2nd workspace with save as, make changes as needed and save workspace.
                    4) Repeat as needed.

Key is to save workspace after any changes before making a copy of the workspace.

I will send this into development for their review and will update this thread when I have further information. I wanted to provide you with a process that works so if you find this not to be the case please let us know.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
                    4 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post arvidvanstaey  
                    Started by samish18, 04-17-2024, 08:57 AM
                    16 responses
                    0 likes