Playback that's actually usable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playback that's actually usable

Is there any chance I can talk you into releasing a version of NT8 with a Playback that is in a usable state? I feel like I'm dead in the water without one. You don't have to get everything working but it seems like it's been long enough - a month and a half - for you to have fixed what in Playback is ailing it.

Thanks.

Hello traderpards,

Are you referring to a known issue that is being tracked with a tracking ID? If so, what is the tracking ID so that I may check to see if the item is fixed and scheduled for Beta 11.

If you do not have a tracking ID, and you would like to check to see if an item has been reported, I can look up the behavior and see if there is a tracking ID for this. Please describe the behavior you are experiencing.

We also also enter a bug report if the behavior has not been reported previously.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by traderpards View Post
      Is there any chance I can talk you into releasing a version of NT8 with a Playback that is in a usable state? I feel like I'm dead in the water without one. You don't have to get everything working but it seems like it's been long enough - a month and a half - for you to have fixed what in Playback is ailing it.

Thanks.
      It should work with 1 to 2 charts and no other tabs if that's what you're referring to.

But no one appears to have submitted anything related to the playback controller which locks up on pause in a lot of situations. I think the lockup is related to the speed issues. Waiting on B11 before I submit anything.

Comment

It takes a long time to load and once it does I can run it one time. If I make a change to the code and rebuild while Playback is paused, I can't restart Playback and I have to start over again - disconnect and reconnect the Playback connection. It seems to me if you search on "Playback" in the Issues and Bugs forum and fix all those issues Sledge reported, you'll probably take care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
          It should work with 1 to 2 charts and no other tabs if that's what you're referring to.

But no one appears to have submitted anything related to the playback controller which locks up on pause in a lot of situations. I think the lockup is related to the speed issues. Waiting on B11 before I submit anything.
          I'd like to see a B10b release, even if only Playback is fixed. It seems you reported a bunch of issues that went unresponded to so now I'm wondering if they're pretending there's not even a problem.

Comment

I'm seeing the same issues as traderpards. I ended up removing B10 and went back to B9. Almost any action I would do would cause me to have to close and reopen NT in order to get playback to work! Just disconnecting and reconnecting the connection does not work for me.

Comment

Hello traderpards,

It seems to me if you search on "Playback" in the Issues and Bugs forum and fix all those issues Sledge reported, you'll probably take care of it.
              Are you letting me know that this is a previously reported issue?
              If so, do you have a tracking ID you would like me to look up?
              (Likely the items reported by sledge will need to be rechecked in Beta 11)

When it comes to the amount of time it takes for the playback to go through the data and start playing back, this will depend greatly on the amount of data that must be read and the power of the PC.

Are you testing market replay data or historical data in the playback?

If you test with a single day of a single instrument market replay data on your system (removing all other data) and you have a single chart open with no indicators applied and no strategy running (with all other workspaces closed) are you able to connect to the playback and play this back in a timely manner?

To confirm, if the Go To... slider or window is used to change the time and date, this will cause the playback to stop and not recover, is this correct?
              Does NinjaTrader enter a non-responding state?
              Is tick replay enabled on the chart?

I was not able to find that this behavior of using the Go To Slider causing NinjaTrader to crash or stop working has been reported in our system.
              Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 05-02-2016, 12:35 PM.
              Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
                Hello traderpards,

Are you letting me know that this is a previously reported issue?
                If so, do you have a tracking ID you would like me to look up?
                (Likely the items reported by sledge will need to be rechecked in Beta 11)

When it comes to the amount of time it takes for the playback to go through the data and start playing back, this will depend greatly on the amount of data that must be read and the power of the PC.

Are you testing market replay data or historical data in the playback?

If you test with a single day of a single instrument market replay data on your system (removing all other data) and you have a single chart open with no indicators applied and no strategy running (with all other workspaces closed) are you able to connect to the playback and play this back in a timely manner?

To confirm, if the Go To... slider or window is used to change the time and date, this will cause the playback to stop and not recover, is this correct?
                Does NinjaTrader enter a non-responding state?
                Is tick replay enabled on the chart?

I was not able to find that this behavior of using the Go To Slider causing NinjaTrader to crash or stop working has been reported in our system.

NT8B10

My Playback crashing appears related to having OnPositionUpdate.

SampleMACrossover did not do it.
                I added Profit Target and StopLoss - did not do it.
                I added OnPositionUpdate - started to do it. By that point my chart was hosed up big time. YOu can see trades in the upper 99% of the chart going off. SampleMACrossOver2
                I removed ProfitTarget and StopLoss - but created a new chart. Did not do it. SampleMACrossOver3
                I saved the workspace and restarted. It did do it. SampleMACrossOver3

http://screencast.com/t/6vZRUYLvj3 SampleMACrossOver2
                http://screencast.com/t/bkzIrDptD SampleMACrossOver2
                http://screencast.com/t/GlR088C4q SampleMACrossOver3

So OnPositionUpdate and a saved Workspace appears to be the reason.

I wonder if the other Playback users also have OnPositionUpdate or even OnExecutionUpdate...

I did have an output window off of the recording screen open.
                Attached Files

Comment

I give up. I surrender.

I started up a NT8B10 replay to get some results to prove an issue when using Office 2016/Excel on Export.. (Which I'm sure NO ONE there has tested!!!)...

I used standard "Sample MA crossover" and at 70% of the way through my replay I hit pause.. and it's locked up...

Comment

Not really - I'm trying to tell you it's unusable. Here are the steps to reproduce:
                    1. Turn it on.
                    2. Observe it's a useless piece of junk.

That's it! Download a little Market Replay and try it. That's all you need to do. If you want to see what everyone's been talking about, just click on the "General Discussion" thread and type "Playback" in the Search Forums field. You'll get plenty.

I just tried it just now.
                    1. Download the MR data to get caught up to today.
                    2. Disconnect my live feed.
                    3. Reconnect Playback (Mine went to August 24th and took two or three minutes at least to do whatever it is it needed to do. Thinking that was in another thread I loaded my strategy on the chart. By the time I finished that, the Playback little circley thing quit going in circles and Playback proceeded to begin running before I even pressed the play button. It has a mind of its own. It went to 10:00 pm on the 25th of April and finally stopped. So now I'm finally ready to start my market replay, probably three or four minutes after I clicked the connect button.
                    4. I pressed the play button and ran it up to 1000. I let it go to April 26th and realized I didn't have chart trader on and since I wanted to see if it showed my stops and targets, I turned that on while it was running and Mr. Market Replay let me do that. Except my stops and targets aren't showing up. They should be because I just got a profit target hit so I know they're being set. But they're not showing in Chart Trader so that's another problem.
                    5. I paused the Playback in market replay.
                    6. Just for grins I thought I'd try restarting it. This is the part where I'd say to myself, "That's not right, let me fix that in the code" and I would pause MR go and do that and come back to here and restart the Market Replay. Sorry - can't. It's FROZEN.

So I'm done. I'm dead in the water. I was wrong about disconnecting and reconnecting because the whole platform is hung up. The maximize, minimize and x-buttons on the Control Center are grayed out which means I have to End Task.

So that's that Chelsea. Give it go will you? And can you please do it before version 11 comes out so someone can fix this thing in the next release?

BTW: This is with one chart running one strategy. I did close my other workspace and Untitled 1 is the only workspace running. I don't know what else to tell you. This will be the easiest bug to reproduce you'll ever see because all you have to do is do it.

Comment

This item has already been reported and development is looking into this matter. The ID for Playback freezing on pause and resume is NTEIGHT-9725.

I searched through the Forums for items on Playback that were reported and not responded to. Would either of you have any threads that you could link me to so I may update those?

Comment

There are currently 7 issues scheduled as fixed for NT8 B11, which is due out in the very near future (~ 2 weeks).

Unique to this thread (affected in B10 and scheduled fo B11), there are two issues I have identified:
                        • #9725 - Playback Connection causes delay as charts cycle through data
                        • #9620 - Market replay freezes when paused and will not resume

Outside of these two issues, there are 5 others which we've identified either internally, or from community driven feedback.

I've asked our QA technician to reach out to members of this thread on a few items we were unclear on. Thanks for the reports.

We will be sure to run the constructive bug reports in this thread in the B11 release branch - although any new issues found would not make it in without potentially delaying the B11 release any further. With that said, we will run through these scenarios and resolve all potential show stoppers before a Release Candidate 1.

My advice to those who have expressed dissatisfaction in B10 and Playback:

We are working on a pre-release (beta) version of the first Release Candidate of NinjaTrader 8. As such, the beta release may be unstable as we accommodate other bug fixes and design changes between releases, and functionality is not guaranteed to persist between releases.

Testers should use the software at their own risk. If you choose to be a beta tester, be aware that it may not function as expected. If this leaves you dead in the water and you find some behavior hard to live with, I suggest you focus your attention on other features and report bugs (which you will certainly find) in those areas. If perhaps that is not a productive use of your personal time, and you are using the NinjaTrader 8 beta release to achieve some personal non-community driven goals, I would encourage you to reconsider using the current stable release 7.0.1000.31.

As always, we appreciate any bug reports and constructive criticism/feedback you encounter during the beta release. If a particular feature is not working to your exceptions, we will resolve what we are conscious of and can accommodate in a specific beta release as they come to us.
                        Last edited by NinjaTrader_Matthew; 05-03-2016, 01:45 PM.
                        MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by Segwin, 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
                        14 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post aligator  
                        Started by Jimmyk, 01-26-2018, 05:19 AM
                        6 responses
                        0 likes