NT8b9 Crash: StackOverflow on start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8b9 Crash: StackOverflow on start up

After some minor change to my strategy code NT8 crashed on me. I wasn't worried much but then I couldn't start NT again as it crashed every time on start up. I tried removing existing workspaces but it didn't help. Log and Trace files are clear but debugging in VS showed stack overflow error:
    System.StackOverflowException was unhandled
    Message: An unhandled exception of type 'System.StackOverflowException' occurred in NinjaTrader.Custom.dll

Deleting existing NinjaTrader.Custom.dll finally helped to start NT with no problems

I tried to backtrack changes I made to a strategy to find what was causing the crash and subsequent corruption and realised I applied the change that was working with no problems for a while in Indicators - adding fallback exception handling in custom base class. Only it seems the following:
    Code:
    [FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]protected [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]virtual [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]void[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2] SafeOnStateChange()[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Consolas]{[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Consolas]}[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Consolas][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]protected [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]override [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]void[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2] OnStateChange()[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Consolas]{[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]  try[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2]  {[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Consolas]      SafeOnStateChange();[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Consolas]  }[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]  catch[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2] ([/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#2b91af][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#2b91af][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#2b91af]Exception[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2] ex)[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Consolas]  {[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Consolas]      Print(ex);[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Consolas]  }[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]  base[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2].OnStateChange();[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Consolas]}[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
    And using SafeOnStateChange in the strategy, will generate the following fatal error:
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello gregid,

Thank you for reporting this item.

I am unable to reproduce this on my end. Can you attach the full script used to test this?

Comment

I can't attach the full script but I will try to make a minimal version that reproduces this problem and attach it here

Comment

Update

Update:

You can close the issue - the overflow was due me accidentally leaving a call back to original method eg. base.OnStateChange();
          from my "Safe" method causing a loop.

Comment

Thank you for the update, gregid.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
            Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM