Graphic Objects Stability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphic Objects Stability

Looking at the stability of graphic objects as they may be moved about on a chart....

Short video...
    Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Hello Alfred,

Thanks for your post and video.

So that I can replicate what the video is showing, please clarify what instrument, bartype and timeframe is displayed. What "snap mode" is being used (Bar, Bar and Price, Price, Disabled)? Can you provide the steps to create the Lines (I believe you said Andrew pitchfork set-up lines).

Thank-you for reporting this.
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Inconsistency of drawn objects on charts

Here is something related to what Alfred is reporting. The screencast below shows inconsistency of drawn objects on charts. Vertical and/or horisontal scale adjustment and scrolling affect fixed drawn object on charts unpredictably.
      http://www.screencast.com/t/rhJ4fX6R9ZP

Here is another related thread started by cls71:
      http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ad.php?t=82956

Comment

Graphic stability improved in Beta 9....

The stability and accuracy of draw tools has been dramatically improved in Beta 9....
        and also work equally well in any snap mode.

Comment

Hello roslja,

Thanks for your post.

If you haven't already please update to beta version 9 released yesterday.

If you find that the issue persists, please send your log/trace files and any updated videos to platformsupport[at]Ninjatrader[dot]com. In the subject line please add a link to this thread and Atten:Paul.

Thank-you for your participation in the beta testing.

Comment

My screencast clearly shows I am using beta 9. This bug is not unique to my NT setup because this happens on my laptop same way.

Comment

This is a very important topic IMHO........As Market Geometry is on a very short list of actual leading indicators to trade with......meaning Pitchforks, trend lines, trend channel....and so forth. When you draw a line on a chart it must be constant in the exact direction the 2 anchor points are put.......and when you copy and paste a line that also needs to be exactly on the same angle.

I know every body at Ninja Trader has been working their butts off getting NT8 ready and it shows.....but when it comes to live trading the only thing I would ever need to rely on is the Market Geometry tools......please dont take this as a complaint.....its not.......The drawing tools for me should be priority 1 for any trading platform.

Thanks again guys......I'm very excited for what the platform has to offer with NT8

Comment

Originally posted by roslja View Post
                Here is something related to what Alfred is reporting. The screencast below shows inconsistency of drawn objects on charts. Vertical and/or horisontal scale adjustment and scrolling affect fixed drawn object on charts unpredictably.
                http://www.screencast.com/t/rhJ4fX6R9ZP

Here is another related thread started by cls71:
                http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ad.php?t=82956
                The set up points on your video example Ray are quite close together...
                if you set up another similarly sloped Ray with the set up points a bit more reasonably farther apart initially you will probably see less fluctuation in the slope of the second Ray as the chart expands or contracts...

With the set up points closer together, this will not be as accurate in the Ray slope calcs as one expands or contracts the chart....

.....thanks....

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred View Post
                  The set up points on your video example Ray are quite close together...
                  if you set up another similarly sloped Ray with the set up points a bit more reasonably farther apart initially you will probably see less fluctuation in the slope of the second Ray as the chart expands or contracts...

With the set up points closer together, this will not be as accurate in the Ray slope calcs as one expands or contracts the chart....

.....thanks....
                  Negative.........when you are drawing your lines you don't have the luxury of waiting for a more preferred spot. What may be 40 bars on a 3 min chart will be a much shorter distance on say a 10 or 20 min chart.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinks View Post
                    Negative.........when you are drawing your lines you don't have the luxury of waiting for a more preferred spot. What may be 40 bars on a 3 min chart will be a much shorter distance on say a 10 or 20 min chart.
                    Looking again at the Ray example in the Rosljas' video....the two initial Ray setup points there were way away from the chart points examined...here there was no need for such a short set up length...the wider the setup length the more accurate the slope calc will be into the future...a little judgment here seems appropriate....

Comment

Alfred I can appreciate the fact that your a senior member on this forum and understand and respect where you are coming from with your analogy on this topic. But this is not horse shoes and hand grenades......when I set a limit order based on a line that needs to be to the tick that's where it needs to be, not....... some where in this area will do. And while at the moment I trade only a few contracts at a time and my stop loss will not hurt me that much, I can assure you that a prop manager or hedge fund manager would not trade based on your idea of accuracy......especially when they normally trade big money.....I can find the frequency of a trend by drawing a line on 3 20 minute bars side by side.......but if the lines don't stay true to that line into the future we can't trust our trade decisions. I have seen trades made based on charts from lines drawn over months in the past. It just has to be right. I'm on your side here from your original post...And I'm glad that you posted it......I know the guys at Ninja Trader will do their best to make it perfect.

Comment

Thanks guys. It's much simpler. I have deliberatly placed a ray the way you see it to better expose the bug in NT graphics, just to simplify things for developers.
                        Just as it is for Sinks, precision of geometry tools has a highest priority for me and any S&R trader. Basically, even a 0.05 point error over a distance of 800 bars in US equities market is not acceptable.

Comment

Hello roslja,

Thanks for your post and video.

This issue is being tracked with NT8-9433, "Calculated Draw Objects Extended Line Can Be Unstable".

Comment

Graphics Stability

Graphics objects still do not seem to be stable...

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Chart is 8 0 0 9... 3-16 ES 5 second non-equidistant...

thanks....
                            Last edited by Alfred; 02-29-2016, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Hello Alfred,

Thanks for your post.

Can you identify the Snap mode used for the two videos?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Segwin, 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
                              14 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post aligator  
                              Started by Jimmyk, 01-26-2018, 05:19 AM
                              6 responses
                              0 likes