Taskbar Autohide problem with NT8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taskbar Autohide problem with NT8

Guys, I have a new Windows 10 laptop with my Windows taskbar set to autohide and have installed NT8 (v8.8). With the taskbar hidden and any NT8 window set to full screen, the taskbar will not reappear by moving the mouse to the bottom of the screen. The taskbar will only reappear by pressing the Windows button (button between Ctrl and Alt). Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Thank you again for your help, and thanks to the NT team for their work on NinjaTrader 8...

Light

Yes, that is how mine behaves in Win10.

Same on Windows 7.

Comment

Hi Light,

That would currently be expected, and is a result of how we build our UIs. It will likely not be an easy fix, though we will look into it for NT9.

Thanks for your report!
      <span class="name">Alex C.</span><span class="title">NinjaTrader Customer Service</span><iframe name="sig" id="sigFrame" src="/support/forum/core/clientscript/Signature/signature.php" frameborder="0" border="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-style: none;width: 100%; height: 120px;"></iframe>

Comment

Thanks for the response Sledge and Alex. I'll work around it in NT8 (by keeping screens less than full size) and look forward to a possible fix in NT9.

Comment

Originally posted by Light View Post
          Thanks for the response Sledge and Alex. I'll work around it in NT8 (by keeping screens less than full size) and look forward to a possible fix in NT9.
          Hitting the window key as you mentioned has become 2nd nature for me.

NT9 might not be until 2022

Comment

Guys, I am seeing another problem that I suspect is related to NT8's effect on Taskbar autohide. In Windows 10 (with the taskbar set to autohide), after suspending the computer and returning, at times (inconsistently) all icons on the taskbar disappear. Then when I close out NT8, the taskbar icons come back. This happens even when I keep NT's windows unmaximized (small). I don't know specific actions to cause it reliably, but it has happened a few times on my laptop. Is anyone else seeing this behavior? I'll post further if I learn enough to add to my description here.

Thanks again for your help,

Light

Comment

Is your Taskbar on the side, top or bottom?

Comment

Further TaskBar Problems with NT8

Thanks sledge. My TaskBar is on the bottom now. However, the last time I had the problem (icons disappearing on the TaskBar with NT8 open, TaskBar set to Autohide, and computer resuming from suspend), I moved the TaskBar to the side, and then to the top, hoping that would cause the icons to reappear, but in both cases the icons stayed hidden. I took those steps without closing NT8. Worse, when the TaskBar was displaying at the top of my desktop, the TaskBar Properties window also stopped showing - something I again attribute to NT8 interfering with it. That is, I couldn't access the TaskBar Properties Window to change its settings back to display on the bottom. So I finally closed NT8, and that fixed both problems - the icons reappeared on the TaskBar and the TaskBar Properties Window again became accessible. I then moved the TaskBar back to the bottom of my window where it is now. So I am fairly confident that NT8 is significantly inhibiting TaskBar functions in Windows 10, at least when it is set to Autohide. (BTW, I didn't try dragging and dropping the TaskBar itself. I was using its Properties Window for control.)

Thanks for your question. I wouldn't have mentioned the part about the TaskBar Properties Window disappearing without it.

Best wishes,

Light

Comment

More Taskbar problems

More problems on the Taskbar with auto-hide true, now in 8.0.0.9. With Playback on and the small Playback window visible on my laptop, covering where my hidden Taskbar would be showing, after bringing my computer out of suspend, the Taskbar would not appear even after pressing the Windows key. I opened Windows Task Manager to close NinjaTrader and NT8 opened an error message window. I closed the error message window, but the Taskbar didn't come back until I rebooted the computer. NT8 (and possibly the Playback window in part) still seems to me to be the most likely cause of the Taskbar problems when it is set to Autohide.

Thanks again.

Light

Comment

Hello Light, thank you for posting and your feedback.

I am not able to reproduce. However, I would like to gather a little extra information.

When you say "Suspend" your PC. Are you referring to the sleep or hibernation mode?
                    Riley S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for writing back Riley. My computer is a recent Windows 10 laptop (i7, 12 Gigs Ram). It hibernates after three hours in suspend, and I think in that case it was coming out of hibernation. Also, I likely placed the computer in suspend (contents in RAM) a few times prior to it hibernating, and had Playback on each time, including the last time when it hibernated. So Playback, or its window, could be the culprit. I have also had the NT8 icon pinned to my taskbar all this time. I have unpinned it now and am hoping the problems will subside as a result. I'll let you know if that does it...

Thanks again,

Light

Comment

Hello Light, thank you for for you reply.

NinjaTrader 8 doesn't support Hibernation or Sleep modes. I would suggest that you disable this mode by seeing the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...sked-questions

I would suggest that you dim or turn your monitor off instead.

Just to clarify, you only see this when your PC goes into hibernation mode. Correct?
                        Riley S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for the reply Riley. I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. Unpinning the NT8 icon from the taskbar on Win10 may have helped the taskbar autohide problem. I haven't seen it since, although I haven't run NT8 as often lately. I'll try to report a continued problem with it only if my computer has not been in suspend or hibernate since opening NT8.

But regarding supporting suspend and hibernate, I understand why they would not be supported if connected to live data, but a great deal of work can be done unconnected to live data -- programming, testing in Playback, studying historical charts. Also, with the proliferation of tablets and laptops, I would think more NT users will be in situations where their computers will suspend, intentionally or not (battery powered devices). It also appears that the NT8 GUI has been designed for touch screens (larger input forms), which of course is the input mode for tablets, which again are more likely to suspend than desktops. Finally, I have used suspend and hibernate in NT7 daily since NT7 betas were available (i.e., for years). I am sure you guys have already thought this through and didn't make that choice lightly, but I would hate to lose that basic functionality in NT8.

Thanks again,

Light

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by DJ888, Today, 10:57 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post DJ888
                          by DJ888

Started by MacDad, 02-25-2024, 11:48 PM