VisualStudio 2015 IntelliSense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VisualStudio 2015 IntelliSense

Should IntelliSense work in Visual Studio 2015 after using "Open Project in Visual Studio" from the NinjaScript editor? After opening the project, Visual Studio shows the correct references (ie, NinjaTrader.Core, NinaTrader.Gui, and NinjaTrader.Vendor). When opening the assembly in Object Browser, types and namespaces used by indicator .cs files are available. For instance, NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.Series<T> shows up in the Visual Studio Object browser.

But, when editing an indicator .cs file, intellisense can't find NinjaTrader.Cbi, NinjaTrader.Gui, NinjaTrader.Gui.Chart, NinjaTrader.Gui.SuperDom, NinjaTrader.Data, etc.

Without intellisense for NinjaTrader types, editing in VisualStudio isn't that useful.

great question!

Originally posted by tactevo View Post
    Should IntelliSense work in Visual Studio 2015 after using "Open Project in Visual Studio" from the NinjaScript editor? After opening the project, Visual Studio shows the correct references (ie, NinjaTrader.Core, NinaTrader.Gui, and NinjaTrader.Vendor). When opening the assembly in Object Browser, types and namespaces used by indicator .cs files are available. For instance, NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.Series<T> shows up in the Visual Studio Object browser.

But, when editing an indicator .cs file, intellisense can't find NinjaTrader.Cbi, NinjaTrader.Gui, NinjaTrader.Gui.Chart, NinjaTrader.Gui.SuperDom, NinjaTrader.Data, etc.

Without intellisense for NinjaTrader types, editing in VisualStudio isn't that useful.
    great question!
    lawyse
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Affordable Indicators

Comment

Yes, it should work. A few members on our team have had issues since upgrading to 2015 and the solutions suggested here have worked: http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/Blogs/4...al-studio.aspx

In particular the Solution #1 resolved this for me personally from Visual Studio:

Go to Tools->Options->Text Editor-> All Languages->General

Enable "Auto List Members" and "Parameter Information"
      MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestion. I checked my Visual Studio settings - Enable "Auto List Members" and "Parameter Information" were already set, so no luck there.

I did figure it out though. It turns out the problem is not Visual Studio but ReSharper (from JetBrains). ReSharper's static Code Analysis causes Intellisense to fail when used in projects with your assemblies. I assume it's because of the obfuscation method you use. I'm surprised ReSharper doesn't just ignore the internals for referenced dlls it can't 'fully understand' but instead it causes a complete failure of Visual Studio's intellisense on your types. Things work fine though and I can keep ReSharper installed as long as I turn off 'Enable code analysis' in the ReSharper Code Inspection Settings. (Of course this makes ReSharper mostly useless.)

Do any NinjaTrader devs use ReSharper? It's an amazing tool and one that I rely on for daily work. It's a shame that it doesn't work with your assemblies.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestion. I checked my Visual Studio settings - Enable "Auto List Members" and "Parameter Information" were already set, so no luck there.

I did figure it out though. It turns out the problem is not Visual Studio but ReSharper (from JetBrains). ReSharper's static Code Analysis causes Intellisense to fail when used in projects with your assemblies. I assume it's because of the obfuscation method you use. I'm surprised ReSharper doesn't just ignore the internals for referenced dlls it can't 'fully understand' but instead it causes a complete failure of Visual Studio's intellisense on your types. Things work fine though and I can keep ReSharper installed as long as I turn off 'Enable code analysis' in the ReSharper Code Inspection Settings. (Of course this makes ReSharper mostly useless.)

Do any NinjaTrader devs use ReSharper? It's an amazing tool and one that I rely on for daily work. It's a shame that it doesn't work with your assemblies.
          Ah yes - we do. And I do recall that issue now that you mention it. We did not spend much time looking into it however since it can be "fixed" with the code analysis setting.
          MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Gotcha. Well, I'm sure you guys have more pressing issues, but if you have a moment it would be great if you found a solution for ReSharper. The 'fix' I suggested basically means not being able to using ReSharper at all. I'll check in with Jetbrains too and report back if they have any advice.

Comment

Gotcha. Well, I'm sure you guys have more pressing issues, but if you have a moment it would be great if you found a solution for ReSharper. The 'fix' I suggested basically means not being able to using ReSharper at all. I'll check in with Jetbrains too and report back if they have any advice.
              I documented a bug to jetbrains about a week ago that sounds almost identical. Yesterday they told me they found a bug which is fixed in R# 10 EAP 2, which will be shipping "real soon". I'll try to remember to post a link here when it becomes available. I assume it may require an upgrade to version 10.

Comment

Originally posted by dalebru View Post
                I documented a bug to jetbrains about a week ago that sounds almost identical. Yesterday they told me they found a bug which is fixed in R# 10 EAP 2, which will be shipping "real soon". I'll try to remember to post a link here when it becomes available. I assume it may require an upgrade to version 10.
                EAP2 came out today. I upgraded to it and it solved my problem. Maybe it will solve yours. It does require an upgrade. The download link is: https://confluence.jetbrains.com/dis...Sharper+10+EAP
                YMMV

Comment

Dalebru! That's it. R# 10 EAP 2 worked for me. Thanks

Comment

Resharper 10 EAP7 works great - thank you very much for tip!

Comment

My intelliSense is broken in VS2015 with B6. I don't use Resharper.

Comment

That's weird. I've been using Resharper and VS 2015 with NT8 Beta 5 since it came out and have had no such issues. I'm currently on resharper 9.1.1.

Now that I think about it, I think I had tried upgrading to 9.2 and had an issue so I rolled back. Maybe this was the issue.

Comment

B5 worked fine for me. It is only since I upgraded to B6

Comment

Hello,

Originally posted by GrumpyTrader View Post
                            My intelliSense is broken in VS2015 with B6. I don't use Resharper.
                            I wanted to verify, when you expand the "References" are there any references with yellow exclamation marks or any that are not found?

Additionally, the file you are working on, can you verify it is included in the project in the solution explorer? I.E. the file is in the indicators listed in the solution explorer.

I have seen cases where a file I was working on was not included in the project although it was open in VS, in this case the intellesense would not work until I included the file again.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
                            JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I upgraded to B6 and it's still working for me. I guess I have to keep my fingers crossed

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Graci117, Today, 09:02 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Graci117  
                              Started by ETFVoyageur, Today, 07:55 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post ETFVoyageur