Indicators not updating in real time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicators not updating in real time

Not sure if this is an issue noted by anyone else but I am finding that my volume and MA indicators are not updating in real time and that they only update on the bar close.

Any solutions you can offer?

Thanks,

Sam

Turn calculate on bar close to false.

Comment

Hello Sam,

Thanks for your post.

As member Sledge advised, one place to check is the setting of "Calculate" in the user interface panel of the indicator. In Ninjatrader 8 you now have three possible settings, "On Bar Close" or "On Each Tick" or "On Price change".

On Bar Close is the NT8 equivalent to the NT7 CalculateOnBarClose = true.
      On Each Tick is the NT8 equivalent to the NT7 CalculateOnBarClose = false.
      On Price Change is new in NT8 and is provided as a means to reduce the calculation load that On Each Tick represents. If the issue is indicators updating to the latest bar then I would advise to use On Price Change.

From the NT8 helpguide on Calculate: Definition - Determines how often OnBarUpdate() is called for each bar. OnBarClose means once at the close of the bar. OnEachTick means on every single tick. OnPriceChange means once for each price change. If there were two ticks in a row with the same price, the second tick would not trigger OnBarUpdate(). This can improve performance if calculations are only needed when new values are possible.

Please advise if this does not resolve the issue.
      Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Duh!

All good now.. thanks guys

Sam

Comment

Should it work for CandleStick pattern indicator ?

Hello,

This works great with indicators like VOL, VOLMA but not for Candlestick pattern. I change Calculate for "On each tick" or "On price change" and the application reset it to "On bar close". Why ?

The reason I'm trying to do this is I'm using a Daily chart and the last bar is never updated with the Candle Stick pattern. It gets updated only once the next bar gets openned. As I need the information at the end of the day, I wanted to try other options but it doesn't work.

Is there any other way to make CandleStick pattern evaluated on the last bar ?

Best regards,

Comment

Originally posted by yopdens View Post

The reason I'm trying to do this is I'm using a Daily chart and the last bar is never updated with the Candle Stick pattern. It gets updated only once the next bar gets openned. As I need the information at the end of the day, I wanted to try other options but it doesn't work.

Is there any other way to make CandleStick pattern evaluated on the last bar ?

Best regards,
            Isn't the trick to use 1440 minutes bar instead?

Comment

Hello yopdens,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Forums!

You are correct the NT8 indicator Candlestick pattern does prevent you from running it on Calculate.OnPriceChange or Calculate.OnEachTick. The purpose of running with it onbarclose is to ensure that the pattern is completed before advising. Otherwise you could get false indication of a pattern, you could also get hundreds if not thousands of such depending on the pattern and the price action.

If you want to make a copy of the indicator it can be changed to remove that restriction. If this is of interest to you, please e-mail me at PlatformSupport[at]NinjaTrader[dot]Com with a subject line of atten: Paul and a link to this thread.
              Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Sledge, what do you mean by the 1440 minutes trick ? Do you reference to a multi time frame strategy ?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by nandhumca, Today, 03:41 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post nandhumca  
                Started by The_Sec, Today, 03:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post The_Sec