Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i5-760 or Phenom II X6 1055T for NT7

hi,
    Which of these CPUs, i5-760 (4-cores) or Phenom II X6 1055T ( 6Cores ) will NT 7 run faster on?

Will NT7 take advantage of the 2 additional cores from the AMD chip ?

thanks

Hello aljafp,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately I would not be able to say which one is better however I can tell you that yes NinjaTrader will utalize the additional 2 cores with the AMD Processor.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
    Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ View Post
      Hello aljafp,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately I would not be able to say which one is better however I can tell you that yes NinjaTrader will utalize the additional 2 cores with the AMD Processor.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
      This is only true when doing backtesting and few other functions. As a practical matter, since all of the UI updates are called from a single thread, NT does not effectively utilize multi-processor capability where it matter the most. If you load up your system with a lot of charts, the bottleneck of chart UI updates is still going to be what holds you back, and more CPU cores will not help with that. A person would be better off with a 4 core processor that could do more instructions per core than a 6 core processor which performed fewer instructions per second, per core. Actually, a dual core clocked at a higher frequency would probably be the best, unless you plan to run 3 or more copies of NT using virtual machines, or unless running fast backtests is a major priority for you.

Comment

Originally posted by JS999 View Post
        This is only true when doing backtesting and few other functions. As a practical matter, since all of the UI updates are called from a single thread, NT does not effectively utilize multi-processor capability where it matter the most. If you load up your system with a lot of charts, the bottleneck of chart UI updates is still going to be what holds you back, and more CPU cores will not help with that. A person would be better off with a 4 core processor that could do more instructions per core than a 6 core processor which performed fewer instructions per second, per core. Actually, a dual core clocked at a higher frequency would probably be the best, unless you plan to run 3 or more copies of NT using virtual machines, or unless running fast backtests is a major priority for you.
        Thanks for the useful info.

I am more concern with REALTIME trading performance rather than backtesting.

What if i don't plot a lot of Charts. But i run up to 10 strategies via the strategies tab ?
        Will these strategies make use of the additional cores ?

Or am i still constrained by GUI updates to NT control center ?
        Last edited by aljafp; 11-04-2010, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aljafp View Post
          Thanks for the useful info.

I am more concern with REALTIME trading performance rather than backtesting.

What if i don't plot a lot of Charts. But i run up to 10 strategies via the strategies tab ?
          Will these strategies make use of the additional cores ?

Or am i still constrained by GUI updates to NT control center ?
          Honestly I don't know, since I trade discretionary and have never run strategies. But I think the constraint is just the GUI update, so I would think that the strategies could run in parallel, and the only bottleneck would be how many charts you have up, and what the visual refresh rate is. However, this is a question that NT support will have to answer for you...

Comment

I would concur with JS999.

If this machine is dedicated to NT R/T, then the Intel will be the winner with it's 'turbo' mode.
            It is able to boost perf on apps that are single-core cpu bound .
            It's also an easy overclock if so inclined.

But .. in reality .. these are both over-the-top for trading R/T with Ninja. You need horsepower for backtesting .. R/T demands are smaller.

I have an I750 and it worls

Comment

Originally posted by JS999 View Post
              Honestly I don't know, since I trade discretionary and have never run strategies. But I think the constraint is just the GUI update, so I would think that the strategies could run in parallel, and the only bottleneck would be how many charts you have up, and what the visual refresh rate is. However, this is a question that NT support will have to answer for you...
              Yeah, i wished that NT support staffs will reply instead of just keeping quiet.

So to any NT support staff out there,
              If i run multiple strategies ( say 8-10 ) via the strategies tab ( i.e not via charts ) will they all run in parallel utilizing as many cores on the CPU as possible ?

OR is there still some bottleneck due to GUI update ( pointed out by JS999) or some other hidden constraints ?

thanks

Comment

aljafp, I will have someone get back to you with an answer on Monday.
                AustinNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Strategies are all ran on the main thread. You will not see multi-core use under that scenario.
                  Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
                    Strategies are all ran on the main thread. You will not see multi-core use under that scenario.
                    Can you please confirm ? That all active ninjaTrader Strategies run on 1 single main thread ?

This is quite unbelievable..... why is the software design this way ?
                    Any particular reason why NT is implemented with this bottleneck in mind ?

Given that nowadays, even end users has access to multi-core CPUs, i never expected NT to be design this way.
                    Last edited by aljafp; 11-08-2010, 07:23 PM.

Comment

All strategies are ran on the main thread.
                      Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by tonynt, Yesterday, 01:48 PM
                      2 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post tonynt
                      by tonynt

Started by goodknight777, Today, 08:43 AM
                      1 response