Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Connection failover? Doesn't seem to work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connection failover? Doesn't seem to work...

I just signed up for IQFeed, and have been using zen-fire for a connection to futures data.

I have tried the following:

1. Set up an individual connection to ZF, and an individual connection to IQFeed. (i.e. 2 connections in Ninjatrader, both connected).

2. Kill the primary connection, whichever one it is.

When I do this with both connections, instead of failing over and continuing to stream data from the second connection, the DOM just freezes and there is no data.

This also happens if I kill the connection without actually hitting Disconnect manually, for example if I select IQFeed as the primary connection and then kill the IQFeed connection manager. In that case, the IQFeed shows disconnected (red) in Ninjatrader, but doesn't fail over to ZF.

The same behavior occurs if I set up a single connection to IQFeed as the primary, with ZF specified as the backup connection.

So the question is: what I am doing wrong? Shouldn't this be failing over?

I am using Beta 20 at the moment, will be upgrading to Beta 22 this weekend.

JS999,

There is no trading going on right now so I would imagine it to be hard to see data streaming.

The best way to test this would be to try using a free program called tcpview to simulate connection losses as opposed to forcing closes on IQFeed manager. Closing the manager would not be indicative of a disconnect as it does not throw the same types of events as losing a connection would.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
      JS999,

There is no trading going on right now so I would imagine it to be hard to see data streaming.

The best way to test this would be to try using a free program called tcpview to simulate connection losses as opposed to forcing closes on IQFeed manager. Closing the manager would not be indicative of a disconnect as it does not throw the same types of events as losing a connection would.
      I actually was doing this before the market closed, so the data was streaming in. However, I will try this TCPView program you mentioned.

My question is:

How should I set up my connections to get failover working? Do I just set up 2 individual connections, then connect with one and then the other? Or do I set up a single connection and specify another connection as the "backup" option in the Account Connection dialog box?

Comment

JS999,

You will need to select a backup connection within the connection wizard. I've attached an image example here.
        Attached Files
        KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
          JS999,

You will need to select a backup connection within the connection wizard. I've attached an image example here.
          Understood.... just out of curiosity, what is the point of being able to connect to two separate individual connections if it doesn't actually do failover to the second connection when the first goes out? If the only way to do failover is to specify a backup as part of the connection dialog in the way you specified, why allow us to connect to 2 different connections separately?

Comment

JS999,

Sorry - I don't really have an answer for that question. That said, I will forward your comments on to my development team.
            KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by KonAdams, 05-07-2024, 10:53 PM
            10 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
            Started by kevinenergy, 02-17-2023, 12:42 PM
            119 responses
            1 like