Exporting NT7 Database to MS SQL 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exporting NT7 Database to MS SQL 2008

I know this is beyond the scope of support offered so I throw this out to the community.

I am looking for a safe and efficient way to do a daily export of the Orders, Execution, and Positions data from the NT7 database (SQL CE 3.5 SP1 I believe) to MS SQL 2008.

SQL is foreign to me and I've looked at CE/SQL replication and a few other things, but if someone has any tips or directions I should pursue that would save me from heading down the wrong path or making NT7 less robust, that would be most welcome.

Note SQL Server would be running on a seperate machine on the LAN, and AFAIK I'd be running IIS on it as well. The export/replication/whatever process would most likely be coded as a Strategy, but again I'm open to ideas.

End game is to have multiple NT7 workstations each trading a unique account reporting that data back to SQL for analysis, compliance, etc etc.

Thanks.

This article has some good reading for some of the objectives you want to achieve IF NT7 uses SQL CE 3.5 SP1 as you presume.

The meat of it is this:
    you can connect & Administer it with SQL Server 2008 Management Studio
    Support for data replication with SQL Server 2008 using Microsoft Synchronization Services
    Support for data replication with SQL Server 2008 using merge replication and Remote Data Access (RDA).

So yes you are on the right track. You should be able to set up rules on which tables and when you want them to be pulled across. Its actually quite simple and can be done with a wizard I believe.
    Last edited by Laserdan; 09-22-2010, 07:08 PM. Reason: forgot link

Comment

Thanks Laserdan.

I'll probably need to get a SQL guy in to help. I'm about 75% of the way there but stuck where it looks like I need to export my Ninja DB tables to SQL before I can make them available for sync services. I think. Heck it took me two hours and a lot of Google time to get SQL to talk to IIS, which is in SQL 101 class.

It also looks like SQL to SQLCE is easy, SQLCE to SQL is more of a challenge. Microsoft has also changed pretty much every acronym involved in the 2003>2005>2008 evolution. ADO.NET... well, OK.

With the weekend coming up I'll be making a trip to the local IT bookshop.

There will be an elegant and robust solution to this, and it will be extremely handy where multiple accounts are traded and/or where anyone wants to keep trade records beyond the time constraints of the "please reset your DB" panacea .

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by usasugardefender, Today, 01:42 AM
      0 responses
      1 view
      0 likes
      Last Post usasugardefender  
      Started by haas88, 03-21-2024, 02:22 AM
      15 responses
      0 likes