NT7v20 hanging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT7v20 hanging

I have been running a very simple strategy in NT7 v20 testing the new 'unmanaged' functionality recently but I keep encountering the same problem: The strategy runs for a maybe 5 hours and then NT hangs. NT is shown running in the Windows Task Manager but the GUI is no longer functioning. When I look at the trace and log files I cannot find any errors. The application basically just appears to stop processing. I have had the same thing happen every night for the last week or so regardless of how many instances of the strategy I run. I run NT on a dedicated windows XP 64 server with 8 gigs of RAM and 2 dual-core AMD Opterons. The task manager shows only 25% CPU usage and 0.7-0.8 gigs of RAM used. The instability of NT7 so far means that for production I am going to have to write to the Zen-Fire API myself (which for prototyping I would really like to avoid because I like working in the NT environment).

dnokes, thanks for the report - could you please still forward us the trace / logs for review via the Help > Mail to Support feature? Does this hang happen reproducibly for you? Would you see the same with for example the default 'SampleMACrossOver' strategy we ship?
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have sent the trace, log and workspace files to support.

I can reproduce the hang. It has happened overnight and during the day every day for about 1 week. I have been able to run other strategies without having a hang so I think it has something to do with the unmanaged orders

I will try running 'SampleMACrossOver' for a couple days and see what happens.

Comment

Thanks for the files, we'll look into them.

Is your one core while your custom strategy constantly showing being used around 25%?

This would mean you overload NT and max out available resources, we would suggest in this case to simplify your strategy to it's bare minimum, rerun it and then add back layers of code until you find the problematic area resulting in hangs seen.

Comment

When I try to use the mail to support feature in NT I get an error so I will send the zip files created in tmp directly.

Comment

The CPU and RAM usage don't change much. Perhaps there is a garbage collection related issue with RAM increasing slowly until the application hangs.

I will work through the code layer by layer and try to isolate what is causing the hang.

It would be really nice if there was a mode in NT that allowed one to run everything without the GUI. Like a low overhead mode.

Comment

dnokes, what you can do to run with minimal resources would be starting it from the strategies tab instead of a chart for example.

Comment

I always run from the strategies tab and typically don't leave SuperDom or charts open. I do however run a lot of strategy instances.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by ETFVoyageur, Today, 02:10 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post ETFVoyageur  
                Started by rayyyu12, Today, 12:47 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post rayyyu12