Connectivity problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adamus,

Can you please provide exact dates in use? It will probably just be easier if you took a screenshot of your Data Series window and sent that in so we can use exact settings you are to test. Thank you.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Josh, there are no settings in that menu I can change that will get around this problem. However since you requested it, I have included a screenshot.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello adamus,

I tested the exact same settings in the Data Series menu, however I could not reproduce the IB error message.

I created a new chart and setup all settings as per your screenshot. I did not have any chart template selected. I am not sure if you have a chart temlpate loaded in the chart - unfortunately I cannot tell this from your screenshot.

If you do make use of a chart template, could you please post so we can test it.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jason,

I don't use a chart template and just to make sure, I deleted the only one I'd ever saved.

I know you have to go through all these steps but it's not going to help because when it happens, it happens anywhere. I won't be able to download historical data and I will see that message in the IB log.

The next thing you should try is setting up a strategy with barsRequired and DaysToLoad set to cause the strategy to load a couple of days of data. That won't work either.

I am wracking my brains to think of a reason why it should work for you and not for me.

It is particularly bad late PM before NY close.

You are on Windows XP SP2 or Windows 7 64-bit?

You are using TWS 906.8 or 906.9? I use 906.8 on XP and 906.9 on Win7.

You have a firewall blocking everything except the usual HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, POP, IB, Skype etc? What port would NT use to communicate other than HTTP & SMTP?

Comment

Hello adamus,

I tested it on Windows Vista and Windows 7 32-bit. I have TWS version 906.8 installed.
            I have security software installed on my machines, which does not block NinjaTrader.

NinjaTrader connects through port 7496 in order to connect to IB - you can find it in the IB connection wizard in NinjaTrader.

NinjaTrader connects through one of the two IP addresses and ports below to connect to its license server.

IP address: 74.200.197.238 and 64.38.21.160

Port: 80 and 443

Could you please send us the automated strategy that caused the error message as well. If you do not like to post it on our forum, please send it to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com. Put 'Attn Jason' in the subject header and reference this forum thread.

Comment

hi

i had the same problem with zf
              months of it
              in desperation i disabled ipv6 on the local area connection
              never had a problem again

Comment

Originally posted by poeds View Post
                hi

i had the same problem with zf
                months of it
                in desperation i disabled ipv6 on the local area connection
                never had a problem again
                Poeds, you have got to be kidding me! You got the "Invalid time period" message with IB?

How did you work out that it was IPv6 causing the problem?

When you say you disabled IPv6 on the LAN, where did you disable it? On your whole LAN or just your trading workstation IP config?
                Last edited by adamus; 09-30-2010, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                  I tested it on Windows Vista and Windows 7 32-bit. I have TWS version 906.8 installed.
                  I have security software installed on my machines, which does not block NinjaTrader.

NinjaTrader connects through port 7496 in order to connect to IB - you can find it in the IB connection wizard in NinjaTrader.

NinjaTrader connects through one of the two IP addresses and ports below to connect to its license server.

IP address: 74.200.197.238 and 64.38.21.160

Port: 80 and 443
                  OK then it can't be anything to do with ports or firewalls. I'm running IB and NT on one machine together, and I'm running NT on its own on WinXP with IB running on a third machine. They both exhibit the same problems.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                  Could you please send us the automated strategy that caused the error message as well. If you do not like to post it on our forum, please send it to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com. Put 'Attn Jason' in the subject header and reference this forum thread.
                  As for strategies, I get the problem even if I'm trying to run the SampleMACrossover and I've had it with every other strategy I've ever enabled.

What do you think about the IPv6 message from poeds? How would I disable IPv6?

Thanks

Comment

I assume Poeds refers to Zen-Fire with 'zf'.

I am not sure how you can disable IPv6. I searched for it in Google and it listed the results at the link below.

Comment

No wasnt IB was Zenfire
                      everything was working re internet
                      realtime data was ok
                      Nt 7 was fine on different ISP
                      only problem was historical data wouldnt connect to server
                      anyway its a server farm 7tick that hosts NT historical dunno who hosts IB
                      was just trying to suss why my isp didnt like this 7tick server and tried disabling ipv6 and it works
                      i used Mrfixit on Microsoft site but couldnt find link 4 u
                      i hav w764
                      try network and sharing centre/local area connection/properties/uncheck internet protocol 6
                      i will try find Mr fixit

Comment

here its the fixit box 3rd along

Provides step-by-step guidance for how to use the Windows registry to disable IPv6 or certain IPv6 components in Windows.

its worth a crack it did do me immediate

Comment

The latest info I got from Interactive Brokers was this:

Initial Description: HMDS data farm connection continually breaking
                          Response from rayros at 04-Oct-2010

Hello There,

Unfortunately, we cannot ignore the warning message. This is hard-coded on our server side. It is a standard protocol if the request is invalid, then the designated server will throw some error messages.

Regards,
                          Raymund
                          IB API Support
                          Of course this doesn't explain why sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Personally I think it has more to do with the time of day.

However it is obvious that IB are refusing to take the issue on because they see the error caused by NT as the primary roadblock.

I'd be happy to do anything more that will help - this is for me the most important and high impact problem with NT.

Comment

Please let us know when you have a reproducible scenario that consistently causes the error message. Unfortunately we cannot do much without one.

Comment

Jason,
                              it's reproducible everyday. It has been making my life miserable since I started running strategies.

What haven't I told you already that you need to know?

Comment

Unfortunately, we cannot reproduce it on our end when we perform the steps you provided so far. This would be required in order to further investigate why such steps result in the error that IB/TWS throws.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by port119, Today, 02:43 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post port119
                                by port119

Started by Philippe56140, Today, 02:35 PM
                                0 responses