What happened to my ray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to my ray?

See the screenshots below, from beta 19, all of the same chart.

The first shows two rays (both hot pink), the interesting one being the upper one. I placed the two black dots to indicate the ray's anchor points.

The second shows the chart scrolled, such that only the second anchor point is visible. The ray is still visible.

The third takes the second chart and scrolls it by one bar so both anchor points are no longer visible. And the ray went bye-bye, too.

Meanwhile, the lower ray, whose anchor points are way off screen, remained visible throughout.

What happened to the upper ray?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Line1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	894753 Click image for larger version

Name:	Line2.jpg
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	894754 Click image for larger version

Name:	Line3.jpg
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	894755

Hello MikeInMA,

Thank you for your post.

PleaCan you please forward me your current Workspace and Chart Template used so I may attempt to test with your current setup.

Workpsaces can be found in Documents-->NinjaTrader 7-->Workspaces.

Templates can be found in Documents-->NinjaTrader 7-->Templates-->Charts.

Send these files to Support [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com with "ATTN: Chris" in the subject line.

In the message, please include the following:
    1.) A link to this forum thread.
    2.) The Workspace and Chart template applied

I look forward to assisting you further with this issue.
    Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

My chart uses proprietary third-party indicators, as do all of the other charts in the workspace. Do you still want the template and workspace?

Comment

its a limitations of chart objects i suppose.

Comment

Thanks bukkan. It sounds like you had a wide rectangle, so that sometimes when you were in the middle it disappeared. Anyway, I can put a ray on my chart with the anchor points on adjacent candles and still eventually see the ray disappear. So I don't think the issue of widely-spaced anchor points applies, unless I'm bumping into a strange variation of it.

Comment

Can you please open a new chart with no template or indicator applied. Next draw a ray within your chart and let me know if the issue persists when scrolling the chart.

Comment

Seems related to having multiple data series. Try this:

1. Create a new 5-minute chart of ES with custom range of 8/2 to 8/4 and session template of CME US Index Futures RTH. (I also set Plot executions to DoNotPlot.)

2. Scroll the chart back so you can see 8/2 data and draw a ray anchored at the low of the 13:35 candle and the low of the 13:40 candle. (Times are Eastern.) That should give you a horizontal ray at 1118. (I chose those so there's no issue about the anchors being too far apart.)

3. Scroll the chart forward so 8/4 data are visible. When I did this the ray remained visible, as expected.

4. Add a second data series in a new panel: NQ, 5-minute data, custom range and template the same as in step 1. When the data loaded, my ray disappeared.

5. Scroll the chart. I found that when the anchors were on screen the ray was visible, when the anchors were scrolled off the screen the ray disappeared.

6. Scroll forward to 8/4 again, then remove the NQ data series. I saw the ray reappear when the chart went back to only having one panel.

I really hope you can reproduce this!

Comment

MikeInMA, I was able to reproduce this with your excellent instructions and I will forward my findings to development.

EDIT: A bunch of the stuff wasn't even necessary.. just default settings 5 minute, put ray on, it is visible throughout, add second series, ray goes away, delete second series, ray appears again.
                AustinNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

One related piece:

Put a ray with fairly wide anchors on a chart with two data series. Grab the second anchor and try to shorten the ray. My experience was that the ray would shorten a bit, but then the anchor would stop moving with the mouse. If the second anchor was grabbed again, the ray could be shortened a little more, but once again the anchor would stop moving with the mouse. And so on.

Comment

I was able to reproduce this on my end. I will forward this to our development team for further investigation.

Thank you for your patience.

Comment

Hi MikeInMA !

The bug you reported in post #9 is fixed and the fix will be available with the next update of NinjaTrader.

Thanks for reporting,
                      Christian
                      ChristianSenior Software Developer

Comment

I verified that the secondary issue I reported in post #9 regarding shortening a ray has been fixed in beta 20. But the primary issue – a ray disappearing when the anchors scroll off the screen – remains. So that's still an open issue?

Comment

I am unable to reproduce this issue on my end. Please compress your Y-Axis to see if the Ray located off the viewable chart window.

Comment

Did you test on a chart with more than one data series? The disappearing ray issue is not a problem on a chart with only one data series.

Comment

Yes this was tested on a single series chart. I have been able to reproduce this on a multi series chart as well. I will forward this to development and will follow up with you as soon as possible.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Salahinho99, 05-05-2024, 04:13 AM
                              7 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Salahinho99  
                              Started by knighty6508, 05-10-2024, 01:20 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes